Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Props
By dancetoexpressmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 06, 2009 06:10 PM

In my team's next dance, we'd really like to use props.

What are some props we can use and how can we use them?

And what were your favorite props you used in a dance?

8 Replies to Props

re: Props
On Fri Mar 06, 2009 08:10 PM
Well, our next dance is to a version of 'Requiem For A Dream', but I mean future dances as well, ones we don't have songs picked out for quite yet.
By DizzyLizzie
On Sat Mar 07, 2009 09:17 AM
I love props!

I have danced with flowers, chairs, tables, shopping bags, and waitress tray.

My favorite two has to be the waitress tray (we did 9 to 5 character) and the flower. The tray is somewhat unexpected and is really fun. The flower can be used to represent something like sorrow or love (my solo this year it represents sorrow.
On Sun Mar 08, 2009 05:11 PM
Thank you so much! We worked in a piano bench for the beginning and I think its reaklly fun using a prop. I've really been trying to figure out how to use flowers. They look so cool and can be used so many different ways. Its just figuring out which way. Haha.
By molliegymmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 09:10 AM
Ribbons might be cool for a dance. Like those really long ribbons that rhythmic gymnasts use, kinda.

I once did a dance with Therabands, and it was pretty cool. You can get them in different colors, to match your costumes- or not! (When I did it, we used green therabands, and had shimmery green tops... interesting!).
By smiles5678
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 06:18 PM
i had to do a dance once with kitchen gadgets [like spatulas, ladles, whisks, etc]. it was... awkward.

when choosing to use a prop, just try to make it has a purpose for the dance. don't use a flower, for example, just to say you used one. make sure it means something to the choreography. i think you could do something interesting with tissues - with pulling them out of the box, maybe?
By HeyRedPremium member
On Thu Mar 19, 2009 03:13 PM
Routines with props are so fun - but we rarely do them!

My studio has used built stairs, chairs, hats, mirrors, pretend mirrors, books, hula-hoops, tables, benches, jail cells...

ReplySendWatch