Forum: Advice / Injuries

Sesamoid Fracture
By ReelDance
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 08:27 AM

I went to my doctor a couple days ago and found out that I have a Sesamoid Fracture!! :(

My doctor told me that I will most likely be off for 5+ weeks.. I know that it is not that long but I seriously can NOT live without dance!

For those who have had this injury before,
How long did it take you to heal?
What did you do to stay in shape?

Thanks!
Meaghan

3 Replies to Sesamoid Fracture

re: Sesamoid Fracture
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 AM
I had a sesemoid fracture simultaneously on both feet. After a year of treatment with cortisone and taping (they would never give anyone that much cortisone today) I had to have surgery to remove them. I had to miss work for three weeks to stay off of the feet (they have better casts and boots nowadays so maybe that isn't the case anymore) and it was several months before I could even dream of doing anything athletic. It was sore on the healed wound for some time (months) and I had to have modifications done to stuff like ice skates and ski boots.

Jon
By dancingdiva83
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 09:47 PM
I went to the doctor complaining about foot pain that ended up being arthritis in my big toe joint. They ran x-rays jsut to double check everything. Apparently I fractured a sesamoid at some point and never knew it or didn't think the pain was bad enough to go to the doctor. It healed fine.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 03:34 PM
Edited by Arak (4524) on 2009-03-16 15:37:02
All right, listen to me, and listen good. 5 weeks is NOTHING compared to the time you'll be sidelined if you don't let it heal up completely. You want to hear about a long time to go without dance? How about 18 months? That's how long it took my sesamoid fractures to totally heal because I was too hardheaded to take enough time out to begin with. If you re-injure it, it will only take longer to heal the next time. Even now, I still have chronic sesamoiditis and flexor hallucis tendonitis, and probably will for the rest of my life. So don't be stupid like me.

And be careful about taking doctors too literally. Listen to your body, too, and if your body says it's not time yet, even if the doctor says it is, then listen to your body. That was part of my downfall. When I started to feel better, I made an appointment, got x-rayed, and the doctor said "Well I don't even see where it was. Do whatever you want." So I did. Even though something felt off, I wanted to be back in the studio so bad that I told myself it was ok because the doctor said so. And it wasn't. It started feeling bad again, I went to another doctor, and lo and behold, they were broken again. And like I said before, this time it took even longer to feel good again. And I did it at least one time more, I'm pretty sure, though I don't have the x-ray proof of that one. But I know how it felt.

So having gone through this injury, being a dancer, and also knowing quite a bit about injuries through my other field of practice, I would advise you to take it very slow in returning to dance. Start by not jumping or doing any demipointe work and gradually add them in as it feels right. And if anything hurts, stop doing it.

In the meantime, low-impact exercises like swimming, yoga, and pilates and machines like the elliptical and the bike are good because they put little to no stress on your feet. Weight training is also a good thing. Also make sure you have good, supportive shoes. And dancer pads, if your doctor hasn't already given you some.

ReplySendWatch