Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Should I even bother trying out?
By MissingDance
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 09:47 AM

I havent danced in a year.. I'm definently not as good as I used to be 4 years ago. I miss dancing so much! I'm going to college next year and they have this AMAZING dance team, but the requirements are some things i never even used to work on while I was in dance.. I can do half of the requirements. Im working on improving and using justforkix videos to teach myself how to do some things.. but I feel like I'm going to embarass myself. I know im not ready to be on this team yet, but I want to go through the expirience of auditioning so maybe I could take up a few classes and try again next year.. but will I look stupid showing up when i clearly know I dont meet the requirements?

these are the requirements:
Triple pirouette - right and left
Switch leaps
Toe touch
Al seconde turns
Circular Disk
Calypso Jumps
C-Jumps

I can do double pirouettes, regular split leaps (not switch), a pathetic toe touch, I have never even tried an al seconde turns, I dont know what a circular disk is or a c jump.. and i used to be able to do calypso turns but they dont look so good anymore..

what should I do?

3 Replies to Should I even bother trying out?

re: Should I even bother trying out?
By twirlcoach
On Tue Mar 17, 2009 08:18 AM
Edited by twirlcoach (155914) on 2009-03-17 08:19:15
Why not go for it! What do you have to lose? You will get experience with the tryout process maybe make new friends and learn something new! If it dosent kill you it will make you stronger!
By divamom1
On Tue Mar 17, 2009 04:01 PM
Absolutley try out! If you work very hard, smile, keep your wits about you (as in attitude) maybe you will win a spot on the team! Will you submit a resume? Make sure that includes all your experience. Please dont assume you can predict what the judges are going to do!
All auditions and tryouts are an invaluable experience, so use this to your advantage! Good Luck!
DM
By Dancer11C
On Fri Mar 27, 2009 01:51 PM
Yes! Tryout! Even if you don't make it, it will be a great learning experience, and it will show you what you can improve on and tryout next year! You have nothing to lose:)

ReplySendWatch