By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 09:45 PM

Pretty self explanatory :)

Do you, and why/why not?

31 Replies to Do you believe in karma?

re: Do you believe in karma?
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:41 PM
Hmm, I don't "believe" so much in "karma" as I hold faith that what goes around comes around and also that everything happens for a reason.

Let's see, for example I tried out for a professional dance team not long ago and made it to the final 40 girls but didn't make the final cut. I firmly believe I didn't make it for a reason. I may never know that reason, but things DO happen for a reason.

Another example, a really mean girl who picks on people in high school or something. You may never see it, but down the road her mean behavior will more than likely come back to bite her. Like I said, you may not be there to bask in revenge, but it will come back none the less.

I'm a little confused why this is in religion. Does karma have some sort of religious affliation of which I'm not aware?
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:13 PM
I suppose it could also be in philosphy, but it's fitting here as well...look at the following link for a brief(ish) description...though it's wikipedia, so beware ;)

en.wikipedia.org . . .
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:04 AM
Ah, so to answer my question, yes, karma is affliated with a religion - Hinduism.

Interesting.
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 01:35 AM
In a way, I guess I do believe in karma. I don't believe in karma in the traditional Hindu way (which I must acknowledge I'm sorely uninformed on the subject). I do, however, acknowledge the sovereignty of God (in the traditional Reformational Christian sense). In that sovereignty, God controls everything and there is a purpose to every event, every thought, every action and inaction. Likewise, I also acknowledge that God is Love, God is Compassion, God is not vindictive. However, while God is Merciful, God is also Just. In that, I do believe that God rewards those who truly seek Him and likewise punishes those who turn away from Him.

I hope that makes sense - it's been a rough week and it's 2:34 in the morning.
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 09:02 AM
Yes, I do. My belief in karma follows along the lines of Hindu philosophy. I can explain more later if anyone is interested, but it's a large can of worms I'm not patient enough to verbalize at the moment.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 09:17 AM
Yes and no. I do not believe in Karma in the religious sense. However I do think a person's actions, especially habitual ones, can affect their happiness and how their life will turn out in the long run. Not always, though. It is not an exact 1 to 1 ratio. There are plenty of good people who never get the happiness they deserve and plenty of unscrupulous people who never get their comeuppance.
By harajuku_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:34 AM
yes, i do believe in karma. i believe that life is about balance, and that as humans we strive for balance.. karma is nothing more than a balance. if you steal, you may be stolen from or have something else happen to you.. karma is what brings a sense of justice to the world. i don't believe in hell or the devil (which are both thought of as justifiers for those who murder, abuse, etc.), and so karma gives to you what you have given to others. i think it's a beautiful way of bringing balance and justice to our human selves and our lives.. a way that is fair, understandable, and that makes sense.. a way that we actually have some control in. because if you think about it, karma is getting back what you have given, so if you give out kindness and love and compassion, there will be so many ways that you will get that back from the world. not to say that things that are perceived as 'negative' won't happen to you ever if you give out a lot of love to others and yourself, but i don't believe that everything happens because of karma. there are some lessons that we just need to learn in life.. to evolve, to grow, to change, to see things differently.
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:38 AM
Nadine, I personally would love to hear your thoughts on the subject :)

I'm trying to take my time and express my feelings the right way on it. I have always believed that good actions bring goodness and bad actions bring badness, but now I'm also pondering the concept of humans creating their own destiny and things not being pre-determined.
By dancin_til_death
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 07:14 AM
I believe the act is the reward itself. You do good things and you feel good about yourself, other people think you are a nice person, people do good things for you and etc etc

I've done a lot of voluntry work and its lead me on to do some amazing opportunities. I'm so happy I did it, even the times when I didn't really enjoy it. I think the idea that bad things happen to people who deserve it is a bit stupid though. Blaming the victim is a horrible way of not helping out someone who needs it. Bad things do happen to good innocent people, I don't think anyone is ever deserving of it.
By Cridh
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:24 AM
Yes...whether you call it karma, believe the adage "What goes around comes around", follow the tenant of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", or have faith in the three-fold law...I believe in it.

I believe that the choices we make, the actions we pursue, the words we say, and the emotions we embody affect not just us, but those around us, and not just for that moment, but the future as well. Someone who is negative and violent finds themselves surrounded by negativity and violence. Someone who is positive and sees the good in others will find themselves surrounded by others who are positive and see the good in them. These two opposites do not attrack.
By balletgirl4God
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 08:56 PM
what is karma?
By kandykanePremium member
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 09:00 PM
^^ Google is your friend.

Yes. I believe in karma. I have witnessed karma in action on many occasions.

And I pass it around here on DDN almost everyday. ;)

kk~
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 09:12 PM
Balletgirl4god - tinyurl.com . . .

Dani
By balletgirl4God
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 09:53 PM
Oh wow so that is what it is. isn't it kind of funny how some people will believe that stuff?
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 09:56 PM
Kind of like how people like me who base their whole belief system off the concept of karma find it funny that other people believe in zombie stories.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 01:42 AM
Edited by Scarlet (194795) on 2009-04-16 01:46:10
balletgirl4God wrote:

Oh wow so that is what it is. isn't it kind of funny how some people will believe that stuff?

And yet some people believe in a Cosmic Zombie that stands in the hand of a Cloud Giant... hrm, you're right.

It's all in the eye of the believer, I guess.

Mark
re: Do you believe in karma? (karma: 2)
By dancin_til_death
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 06:07 AM
/offtopic

Kekoa wrote:

Kind of like how people like me who base their whole belief system off the concept of karma find it funny that other people believe in zombie stories.

zombie = dead person rising and hanging with the locals

Christ = rises and hangs with the people

Christ = zombie

christ stories = good therefore zombie stories = excellente

quite simple really

just Christ isn't green/decomposing or kills people is 100% irrelevant.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 06:17 AM
dancin_til_death wrote:

just Christ isn't green/decomposing or kills people is 100% irrelevant.

Only from stories of antiquity can we tell that. Who are we to say that ZombieChrist didn't go to town on Judas? It's probably all there in the apocraphonic Gospel of George A. Romero! :P

Mark
By balletgirl4God
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 06:56 AM
haha you are right! stories about zombies are as ridiculous as karma. I agree
By Deus_Ex_Machinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 03:55 PM
Edited by Arecibo (64891) on 2009-04-16 15:58:44
ZOMBIE JESUS!

Christ = rose from the dead.
Zombies = rise from the dead.

Image hotlink - 'http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/29c/321/29c32125-059b-4e7b-afb3-11364fb65026'

*nod nod nod*

And believing in karma is no funnier than people who believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, that the entire human population was spawn from only 2 people...in which one of those people was made out of someones rib. Or, you know, virgin birth.

Ever wonder what Jesus's DNA looked like? I wonder to...

Though, something tells me that ballet4god's mind dosnt quite resonate with these thoughts...

*is starting to feel a tiny bit more like her old self that DDN lost over 2 years ago*

*gives a smug grin*
By Sumayah
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 09:14 PM
^ Wow. That's all kinds of awesome. And the art styling reminds me I haven't visited Penny Arcade in a while...

To balletgirl4God, just as you think notion of Karma is ridiculous, Kekoa is saying that to her, so is the idea of a dead human being resurrected or raised alive. Or let me put it this way thru the song stylings of Freddie Mercury:

"I say Rolls.
**I say Royce.
I say God.
**Give me a choice!
I say Lord.
**I say Christ, I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman."
By balletgirl4God
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 03:44 PM
All your comments are really illogical and irrelevant. How you can connect Jesus Christ and zombies is even more ridiculous than karma.

Comment #8147938 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-04-18 00:33:04 OK, now that's just rude.

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch