Forum: Arts / Religion

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Do you believe in karma?
By webdeadmasterPremium member
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 08:15 PM
I'd like to ride my bicycle, but it's snowing. Humans like to stay alive. They like things that help them stay alive. They like things that keep the humans they like stay alive. With a bigger brain, they also like ideas that help them stay alive. It helps if the idea is agreed upon by a lot of people. Sometimes that means "my family/ethnic group/town/country is better than everyone else" and sometimes it's "everyone is equal". I'm not talking about right or wrong, I'm talking about what people like. People tend not to like things that are inconvenient for them. It's very convenient for people to embrace things that they like. People like philosophies that suggest they are doing the right thing. Seeing someone do something they don't like makes people like philosophies that say those do-ers of not-liked-things will have something bad happen to them. It makes it easier to live with taking the "high road" as they see it. People also like to defend their philosophies against other people who disagree, and even get indifferent people to see things their own way. It's often easier to like something if a lot of people also like it. However, some people don't like being coerced into changing their beliefs. The idea that one's own beliefs may be incorrect is not comforting. Confronted with such coercion may cause some to not like things that a lot of other people like - or at least, they may be predisposed to not like when they see no other reason to like. So... I just see human behavior, human interpretation of that behavior, and human motivations for that interpretation. Well, that's not strictly true. I'm not so enlightened (if that means anything to anyone) to not have any such instinctive reaction. But I do try to catch myself when I can, as the human brain also has the abilities of feedback and reflection.
re: Do you believe in karma? (karma: 1)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 09:01 PM
dead human resurrected = zombie
Jesus = dead human resurrected
Jesus = zombie

Yes? Following? No?

Good job, champ.
By girlwithghilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:36 AM
Edited by girlwithghillies (114439) on 2009-04-18 11:37:50 spelling
Oh wow so that is what it is. isn't it kind of funny how some people will believe that stuff?

It's not particularly funny. Many, many people older and wiser than yourself believe "that stuff".

You sound very young, and I'm guessing that you've grown up with the idea that everyone who disagrees with christianity is wrong, or worse, evil. You're welcome to believe that if you want, but be aware that it will severely limit your world in terms of friendship and connection with others. You will run into many wonderful, ethical people who turn out to hold different beliefs than yourself. You can, of course, think whatever you want, but if you hope to get along well with others, you must at least verbally respect them and their beliefs.

I imagine you'd be pretty offended if somebody came up to you and told you that believing in christianity is utterly ridiculous. You've just evoked that same reaction by telling people that their beliefs are ridiculous. Don't make fun of other peoples' beliefs, and they won't make fun of yours. You don't have to believe in karma by any means, but please at least respect those who do. You'll find that you'll receive back just as much respect as you give others.

By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 18, 2009 08:32 PM
I am a huge believer in Karma. But, I look at it from a Christian perspective. If you do good things with your life, God rewards you. If you wrong other people by lying, cheating, etc. You will be punished, you might not get that promotion, raise, etc. I've seen it in my life.
By irishdaydreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 18, 2009 09:15 PM
Hijack/

dancer4God: I get where you're coming from, honestly I do. I'm a Christian myself, and don't believe in karma in the literal sense either. But, that doesn't mean that other people don't believe in it, and as Christians we are commanded to show Christ-like love and acceptance for people of all religions. In the Bible, Christ was rebuked for sitting and *gasp* talking with the gentiles, but he did it anyway. So, even if you don't believe in "that stuff", don't insult people who do, but try to be loving and accepting of them and their beliefs, just as Christ was. I know it's hard, and God knows I fail at it ALL the time, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. :)
End hijack/

I don't believe in karma in the literal sense, as I stated above, but I do believe that what goes around, comes around, and that if you are kind and loving to all people, good things will come of it. But I believe that good things will come of it because people like a kind person, not because you have so many "good points" on the Karma scale, or whatever you call it.
By dancin_til_death
On Mon Apr 20, 2009 05:19 AM
balletgirl4God wrote:

All your comments are really illogical and irrelevant. How you can connect Jesus Christ and zombies is even more ridiculous than karma.

You may only call the idea stupid IF you find a flaw in its logic; comprendre ?

Basically all of human kind has asked "why do we suffer". We as Judeo-Christians have the awesomely annoying answer "its not meant for us to understand, but there is a reason"

Eastern religions come up with the concept of Karma; if they haven't done something bad in this lifetime, then its attributed to a past lifetime.

I bet all the Buddhists go look at our reasoning and laugh, because quite frankly the idea that "its too big for us" because it does sound sort of stupid.

The idea of Karma isn't completely devoid in the bible either; "you reap what you sow" is an essential part of God's judgement.
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:37 PM
balletgirl4God wrote:

Oh wow so that is what it is. isn't it kind of funny how some people will believe that stuff?

Wow. And you are insulted by the zombie jokes? This is about the most offensive comment on the thread, IMO.

This 'stuff' predates Christianity and makes more sense to me than much of what you believe. I'm not going to sink to your level by citing examples - I generally don't amuse myself by 'Ha-ha'ing at other people's spiritual beliefs - but perhaps you should educate yourself before so flippantly putting down the beliefs of others?
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch