Forum: Ask a Teacher

How much do Dance Team coaches earn?
By MissBee
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 04:22 PM

I just applied for a job as head coach for a small private school's Varsity Dance Team in a suburb of a major US city. I have no idea yet of how many days a week the team will practice, or for how many weeks a year, etc. The posting didn't offer any guidelines as to pay (hourly v. salaried), so I'm wondering what would be a reasonable amount to ask for in my interview?

I've not had any experience coaching a high school team before, but I've taught and coached competition teams at private dance studios for about five years, and my bachelor's degree is in dance. I currently get $25/hour for teaching at my studio. Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Thanks!!

7 Replies to How much do Dance Team coaches earn?

re: How much do Dance Team coaches earn?
By CoachT
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 06:20 PM
In my experience if you are a school coach you will get a stipend pay...The school pays XX price - and it doesn't matter what the length of the time you are coaching - same amount of money.

For me I made up my own schedules - (depending on space availability) and it didn't matter if I did 10hrs a week for the season or 2 hrs a week....same amount of stipend.

The big sports coaches got more money – not sure how they decided this – but I do know that some schools base the pay for the position on the type of sport it is…and the draw to that sport.
By AllStar7779
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 02:18 AM
I coached dance part-time at a large private school for about 3 years... and the amount of money I made was laughable. The other coaches made MUCH more. They paid hourly, but I was only allowed a certain number of hours each year (so basically I was given a set amount of money, just divided into hourly payments). Their set amount was somewhere around $5,000. It also depends on if the school has a dance class during the day (you would get paid extra for that), or if you would just be having after school practices. I also know that public schools pay their dance team coaches a lot more than private schools do.
By Dancincrazy555
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 08:27 AM
I coached a high school dance team a few years ago. The pay was stipend and it was a joke. With the amount of time I put in with all the practices, fundraisers, camps, and competitions it come out to be I seriously only making pennies a day. Needless to say I quit and opened up a studio.

But don't let this discourage you, everywhere is different. I live in a small town and the school I was coaching at didn't really want a dance team so they didn't put hardly any money in it and it dissolved the year after I quit. But coaching was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done and though it got stressful it was A LOT of fun!

Good Luck!

=)
By Tap_Dance_Kid
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 04:26 PM
I agree....the pay to coach a HS dance team is insulting to say the least. I was paid $1100 per season (football/basketball). The drama is high, commitment is questionable and time restraints high.

It is however a GREAT stepping stone and a good way to get your feet wet!
By i_am_me
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 08:28 PM
I coached a high school dance team in the late 1980's. I was paid $900 for the whole season and I ran their try-outs, rehearsed them daily, went to every Friday night game and took them to summer camp. Pennies for my hours.
By pinktights27
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:39 PM
I agree with the other posters. The time and energy needed to commit to a high school team are not generally paid well. I'm in my second season coaching a dance team at a small, private high school. This is their 3rd or 4th year in existence, and before they just had a couple moms with no dance experience or knowledge that would run the program. The past 2 years I've gotten around $500 to run the program each year. This is 2 practices a week, 1-2 games a week, one tournament, a competition, and I manage all the team business (recruiting, fundraisers, budget, auditions, etc). Literally pennies on the hour. I always have to tell myself that I don't do it for the money, I do it for my girls and because I love the art and sport of dance (I have a regular, full time job as well). But nonetheless, it's easy to get frustrated sometimes with how much work I do for how little money.
By SophieByrne
On Wed May 13, 2020 12:56 AM
Edited by SophieByrne (344932) on 2020-05-13 00:59:41
Dance team coaches do very hard work to achieve their goal and to make their team winner and some do this job to earn money. If you are a student and also want to start a part-time job to fulfill your needs then get a look at detail given by same day essay reviews the company to know about how to give an interview and what amount you should ask for your work.
By goharsaab
On Thu Jun 18, 2020 06:11 AM
The team of dance coaches is doing a great work with so much hard work and honestly. According to the research of inew mobile price in pakistan dance team earning must be a good amount due to their such a good work .
By Zacoffman
On Tue Sep 08, 2020 01:05 AM
This community is especially design or made for the dancers to dance at one platform to represent their group. I have no idea about Vape products that how much time it will take for practicing dance.

ReplySendWatch