Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Fan-cicks!
By Mlillith
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 AM

I am having problems with my fancicks. Any help? I just can't get that foot swing up like a fan movement. I could before, but now I just can't seem to time the other foot right(the one that will chase/kick the foot into the fan-kick). I can't get the timing right. It's all about timing, but how? I lost it!

8 Replies to Fan-cicks!

re: Fan-cicks!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:27 PM
OK, I'm a little confused. A fan kick only involves one leg. If you're having problems with your supporting leg, you're doing more than just a fan kick. It might help if you explained what you do before and after the kick and also exactly where you're having trouble.
By Sumayah
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 05:21 PM
I'm going to take a giant leap and assume you're doing a chasse coupe en tournant preparation.

Make sure that as you chasse you're really getting into the floor with your plie (think about sliding your heel on the ground) and as you turn and prepare the cou-de-pied derriere, make sure you are using turnout like in ballet. From there as you do the coupe and cut the cou-de-pied leg out from underneath the fan, pull up long thru the back of your now standing/supporting leg and press down with the ball of your foot into the ground (do this for releve or flat).

The leg that fans should hit the apex of the circle above the opposite shoulder (i.e. you fan the right leg and you hit the high point over the left shoulder) and then it (controlled) falls open into rotation from there. Hope that helps?
By Mlillith
On Tue Apr 21, 2009 03:17 PM
I am thinking of the one where you do a turn in piquè and then put down your supporting leg and go into demi pointe, and then your other leg goes into the fan-kick because of the supporting leg sort of kicking it forward. I managed this through some practize, it's not much of a problem now.
Thing is, I never did JUST fan-kicks before. And when we did, I didn't know what to do because I was so used to that supporting leg helping the kick go fine..
On Tue Apr 21, 2009 09:00 PM
OK, now I'm really confused. You say "put down your supporting leg" which doesn't make sense to my tiny peabrain. If you meant "put down your working leg" then I kinda get it.

ps - I think performing any kick on demi-pointe is cheating. I always teach fan kicks on a flat supporting foot.

pps - Sumayah, how the hell did you know she was doing a coupe before the kick? Are you psychic or something?
By Sumayah
On Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:48 PM
^ I saw the word chasse and idea of one foot kicking the other and hoped for the best? Besides that's how I teach them. ;) And my kids only get to releve after a long progression of flat. We start at degage height and progress higher until eventually they're allowed to do them on releve.
On Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:05 PM
OK, I was half-asleep when I wrote that last post. And yeah, yeah this is on demi because it's sorta en tournant. I get it. So forget what I said about the flat foot.

I have two more suggestions that might help. It sounds like you're having trouble with the transition from the coupe to the kick, right? First, I would lower your extension on the kick until you get a feel for the weight & timing - then gradually increase until you're back to full extension. Second, you might want to practice pausing between the coupe and the kick because I think you might be mushing them together.
By Mlillith
On Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 PM
Thanks for your reply! That actually helped. My teacher kept telling me about the timing, but when I lost it I also lost the will to practice them... but now I'm back into it! At least with those turns.

Yesterday we did the hard ones again, and I was totally lost. All right. We're in first, go left into a tombe and then the right foot goes "through the floor" towards the left, my left supporting foot still turned out and then the right continues into a fancick. I can't get it high enough, and when I try, I almost fall. It's not my strength I think, it might be just the technique.

As in, I totally don't get them.
On Wed Apr 22, 2009 02:03 PM
My suggestion is the same - if you're falling, you're probably trying to push your extension too far. Practice with good technique and the extension will follow.

Also make sure your releve, leg, and upper body projection (and your arm if you're doing an opposing port de bras) are all at their highest point at exactly the same time. If not, you'll have all kinds of problems.

ReplySendWatch