Age most dancers retire?
By graceful94
On 03/23/2009 10:15:14
How old are most dancers when they reitre? What are the factors that owuld lead them to stop dancing? Besides injury.... You would think if they really love balet they would never stop, but I dont understand why? is it ever possible to have a career after a ballet career
re: Age most dancers retire?
By Ballerinacaz
On 03/23/2009 10:44:20
Most dancers retire at about 30-35 I would say, some earlier some go on a bit longer, it is because their bodies can't do the things they used to and they aren't as strong etc. Many dancers go on to be choreographers or dance teachers or something after they retire from dancing
By balletrocks50
On 03/23/2009 18:25:27
Muriel Maffre a principal with the San Francisco Ballet retired in 2007 in her mid 40s. Tina LeBlanc also a principle with SF Ballet is scheduled to retire this year but I don't think she is 40 yet.
By odile53
On 03/24/2009 17:08:35
There are a wide variety of careers available to someone who was a professional ballet dancer. Teaching and choreography come immediately to mind, but there are some who have subsequently gone on to such careers as physical therapy, dance therapy (dance movement used primarily in mental health, but occasionally in geriatrics and sports medicine rehabilitation,) fine arts administration, grant writing, and all sorts of things. Eliza Gaynor was at one time a professional dancer until she decided to try to build a more ergonomic pointe shoe, and after years of collaboration with engineers, shoe designers, and others developed the Gaynor Minden pointe shoe. She is now a company owner (along with her husband.) Mikhail Barishnykov has been involved in a variety of enterprises, founding a company and a school, and (I believe) in 2005 exhibiting his photographs and publishing a photography book. I recently heard him in an interview on NPR: He still dances, but sees a physical therapist three times a week! A lot of dancers put higher education on hold while they pursue a performance career, and return to college (or go there for the first time) once they retire. They're not alone: Colleges and universities in the United States are filled with people in their thirties and forties who are pursuing degrees for new career goals. One thought: Although an older dancer may not possess the strength or flexibility he/she once had, they may possess the same clean technique and artistry. It will be interesting to see if, as the average age of the population increases, and as people stay healthier for longer periods of time, whether this will be reflected in some areas of the ballet performance world as well. Not everything in dance requires 170 degrees of extension or four feet of ballon!

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 05/11/2022 23:41:59