Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
Boys as bridesmaids en>fr fr>en
By lynn_dancer3201 Comments: 21, member since Wed Mar 25, 2009
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 09:34 AM

Has anyone seen the article at the AtlantaBride site about boys being in weddings as bridesmaids? What is your opinion?

17 Replies to Boys as bridesmaids

re: Boys as bridesmaids en>fr fr>en
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11059, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 09:40 AM
They're usually not called "bridesmaids", they're "bridesmen". It's actually pretty common now, and at my hypothetical wedding I'd probably have one of my closest friends standing up for me on my side. He happens to be a guy, but I'm not going to put him on my (hypothetical) husband-to-be's side for the sake of uniformity because he's not my husband's friend, he's mine!

Dani
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8863, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:37 AM
Yep, I would absolutely have a bridesman. My "best gay girlfriend" as he calls himself would be a great bridesman and would probably enjoy the bachelorette party more than any of us ladies ;)
By TwinkleToez207member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1834, member since Fri Jun 27, 2003
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:31 PM
I have not seen the article, but I know that it is fairly common now and I have actually thought about it myself! I am really close with my brothers, and my fiance also has brothers (so there are a lot of brothers haha) plus he has his friends, and I don't have many close friends so I have thought about using my brothers on my side. I am not dead set on anything, but I think it is really cool to have bridesmen
By aslanZangel Comments: 144, member since Thu Dec 27, 2007
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 PM
When I was planning my wedding, I was going to have my three brothers as my brides attendants. Ended up doing a semi-private thing, so didnt have anyone.
By emilytheprincess Comments: 1208, member since Thu Jan 12, 2006
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 03:03 PM
I would totally do it. My sister attended a wedding last year where a girl was actually on the groom's side. She wore a black dress instead of the red the other girls were wearing so she would blend in with the guys better.

I see no reason why bridesmaids should be all women and groomsmen should be all men.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11218, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 03:22 PM
My best friend and I always said we'd be each other's right hand person when we got married. He'll be my best man and I will be his maid of honor. We're both in long term relationships but marriage is nowhere on the horizon for either of us (though we will both probably end up marrying the person we're with), so things may change, but it's likely we'll both stand up for each other.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By unco Comments: 45, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 08:33 PM
I think its a great idea!!! :) i think it would be interesting to go to a wedding where all the women were groomswomen, and the men were bridesmen. talk about funky!!! :)
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2112, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 04:14 AM
When we were organising our wedding the first time (it was postponed for a number of years) my then fiance was going to have a best woman. This was nearly 20 years ago so I wish we could have done it then. When we did get married, we had no attendants, just two witnesses for the register signing.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 07:16 AM
I'm actually the MOH in my friends upcoming wedding and there is a girl standing up on the grooms side. I thought it was a strange concept when she first told me but I guess that it is more common than I thought. The only thing that makes it hard is the bridal party dance, she has to make different arangements so that there aren't two women dancing together or two guys dancing together.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8925, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:37 AM
My mate was a "brides dude" at a wedding. It was awesome.

My best friend is a guy, and I plan on having him up there with me when (if) I get married.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12798, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:03 AM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2009-03-29 00:13:38
I know someone who did it the other way around too- a girl who was a "groomswoman." The way they did it was really cool too...the bridesmaids wore red dresses with black sashes, but she wore a black dress with a red sash. Very classy, very pretty, and the pictures look lovely.

Hopefully they won't mind me posting this if they ever stumble across it, haha:

Image hotlink - 'http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v355/225/34/505442150/n505442150_1149347_8182.jpg'
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 AM
My best friend just got engaged and she plans on doing that. Her friend Jake (who is no where near gay) is going to be part of her party with the unofficial title of "Babe Watcher: Keepin the girls in line"
Yeah, he came up with his slogan...not us
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 753, member since Sat Apr 05, 2008
On Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 AM
We were supposed to have a a female best man, and my brother was on my side. It kinda went partly out the window when the "best maid" got pregnant and was due the day of the wedding! She backed out because the best man role is too important to have to find a replacement at the last minute, so she decided it would be better to just be a guest. My brother stayed on my side though! He wore a slightly different tux than the grooms men (same colours, but different style tie or vest, I forget). The pictures looked great. We didn't end up having a bridal party dance, but we decided if we did, the bridal party would dance with their dates, not with each other. He got ready at my parents house with us girls and my dad, but of course since he didn't have to worry about hair or makeup, he got to sleep in much longer. We let him skip the shower and bachelorette, but he was involved with planning them. It worked out perfectly for us! My brother and I are really close, why shouldn't he stand for me?
By dancinmeg4487 Comments: 370, member since Wed Oct 23, 2002
On Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:35 AM
I have never heard of such a thing, and even after reading the replies I'm a little , unsure, for lack of a better term. Maybe I'm just fortunate enough that in my relationship, the people we will want as bridesmaids and groomsmen are people that are important in both of our lives - they don't "belong" to one or the other. I never thought of the attendants being there in support of only the bride or only the groom. Rather, the women who are close to the couple are in the bride's party and the men who are close to the couple are in the groom's. For example, naturally I want my brother in my wedding, but he loves and supports both of us, so he'll be a groomsmen. If my boyfriend had any sisters, they would be bridesmaids. I guess I just thought thats how it always went. Hmmm...
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2009-03-30 12:38:03
^ Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it. Why do you have to pick sides? I never even considered this until I went to my cousin's wedding. Her brother and his brother were groomsmen, and her sister and his sisters were bridesmaids. They're all part of the same family now, so why does it matter what side they're on? Seems a bit silly to make all that fuss about which side of the altar, to me..

If my brother is in my wedding party (which he probably won't be) be will be a groomsman... if I'm shelling out all that money for pictures they had better be perfectly symmetrical, bro.
By dancinmeg4487 Comments: 370, member since Wed Oct 23, 2002
On Mon Mar 30, 2009 01:32 PM
^^ Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! No choosing sides at my wedding, haha!
By Ballerina_Jess Comments: 1221, member since Fri Sep 12, 2003
On Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:34 PM
While I can understand the idea of not choosing sides to an extent I would have a bit of trouble choosing bridesmaids purely because they're female. My best friend is male and I'm very close to my brother but I wouldn't feel right asking my fiance to include them as groomsmen because he would have his own best friends and siblings. If I were to marry my current boyfriend I think he'd like to have my brother stand up there with him, alongside his own brother and his best friend. They are all quite good friends anyway. But I would want my male best friend on my side - he's MY best friend.
I also have a couple of really close female friends and ideally i'd like my male best friend and my 2 female best friends up there with me. If i had to choose 3 females then i would end up in 'if you ask that one, you have to ask that one, or they will be offended' territory.

ReplySendWatch