Forum: Folk / Flamenco

Flamenco
Description of Traditional Castanets needed please!
By bec287member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 49, member since Sat Sep 22, 2007
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:59 PM
Edited by bec287 (185822) on 2009-03-27 00:01:34

Hi
I do a Spanish National Character Solo and my dance teacher, has decided to take it to the next level and add castanets, unfortunately I have no idea what to ask or look for when asking at a shop.
Does anyone have any links to photos of traditional sets?
Please help me out I have comps soon and need to learn to use them by then.
Bec :)

4 Replies to Description of Traditional Castanets needed please!

Comment #8087100 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-04-11 05:38:32 off topic

re: Description of Traditional Castanets needed please!
By nevroth Comments: 1238, member since Fri Nov 21, 2003
On Sun Apr 05, 2009 01:41 PM
These websites have pictures and prices.

www.flamencoshop.com . . .
www.flamenco-world.com . . .

Generally, the cheaper the castanet, the poorer quality of sound and material. Decent castanets to play for perfomances cost $90 - $100. Depending on what sound you like, you can get castanets in wood or fibreglass, or a compound material.

It takes a long time to learn to play them properly (training each finger to hit the castanet for the roll, and then taking it up to speed and moving thru each position being consistent), so get them ASAP to get at it.
By oriflamenca Comments: 176, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Thu Apr 09, 2009 06:40 PM
I second Nevroth on the asap, you need all the time you can get to practice!
I also wanted to mention that ebay often has outstanding quality vintage sets often priced far below value. I have bid on about three pairs and lost :(
If you go the ebay route the key is the last minute bidding, because you can get really good deals on professional castanets, I just happen to forget to check on my bids until its too late :)
Good luck at your comp!
By bec287member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 49, member since Sat Sep 22, 2007
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 09:59 PM
Thanks a lot for your help!
I now know what I am looking for :)

ReplySendWatch