Forum: General / Ballroom / Swing

Swing
What's the difference between east and west coast swing?? *Second Edition*
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sat Mar 28, 2009 04:01 PM

To carry on with the older thread, I wanted to say that I never knew Swing dancing was considered "Ballroom". In the city I live in, we have a very big swing dancing group. I go to watch mostly because it helps me with my social anxiety that I have and I am extremely shy.

I have no idea what kinds of actually 'swing' they are doing whether east/west/lindy. I think it's a variety of all three actually. Not sure though.

It does seem like good exercise though.

5 Replies to What's the difference between east and west coast swing?? *Second Edition*

re: What's the difference between east and west coast swing?? *Second Edition*
By GrishkoMerrell Comments: 292, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Sun Mar 29, 2009 01:21 PM
Well... just to confuse things a little further for you... it depends what you mean by "ballroom!" For instance, Ballroom can refer to competitive ballroom dancing, which has its own rules and regulations. The swing that's included in Ballroom is a variation of East Coast, but it's very different from the clip included in the first post.

Ballroom East Coast - Very upright posture, controlled movements, a lot of bounce in the knees, very clean, typical Ballroom frame and arms.
www.youtube.com . . .

casual East Coast - Much more relaxed frame and arms (and general attitude!), more flexibility allowed in the moves, an almost constant bend in the knee, generally less flashy.
www.youtube.com . . .

Since I've danced a variety of styles, I tend to say "Ballroom" when I'm referring to competitive ballroom styles. When I'm lindy hopping or doing a country waltz (versus a Ballroom waltz) I call it "Social Dancing."

So it'll depend on the person you're talking to whether swing is ballroom or not! But yes, swing in all its incarnations is tons of fun (although my favorite is lindy hop). Generally speaking, if you go to a big club, then you'll see different couples doing different styles on the same floor (casual East Coast and Lindy often go hand in hand). I'm glad you've been enjoying watching! I always come out of a dance laughing and happy; it's too much fun. I hope you work your way out on the dance floor when you feel ready! I've also found that swing people, as a rule, are very friendly and welcoming (and always helpful with beginners!).
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sun Mar 29, 2009 09:15 PM
Edited by Rainbws_Watrflls (197101) on 2009-03-29 21:23:42
I went last week and I couldn't believe it I was called out on the floor by someone to dance and never felt so uncomfortable in my entire life. They were doing these 'flashy' moves on me and well I got my arm twisted and well I got really turned 'off' by the lack of carelessness shown to me after I purposely told the person I was new at swing dancing and very shy. And with my social anxiety, I am very nervous around strange men. This man proceeded to tell me the three qualifications for being a swing dancer as the following:

You must be a beautiful woman
you must have a good time
you must move when I push you.

Okay well I am not a pretty woman and I don't believe that qualifications for dancing 'require' women to be drop-dead gorgeous or beautiful. I was very offended by that comment but I kept my mouth shut. I did, however, strictly tell him no more flashy moves and what did he do? Tried another one and I got tangled again. The rest of the night I ignored that man. Made me mad disrespecting my wishes.

I will try to go again, however, I am sitting in a different corner of the room this time. I will ask one of the instructors that will help me learn the 'shim-sham' dance which version of swing they teach and let you all know.

Thanks for your reply and information.

EDIT: At the end when everyone was swinging to the sing, "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson, my friend and I (not that man that asked me to dance, but my lady friend that went there with me to talk to me and keep me company) were off in the corner line dancing the "Boot Scootin Boogie" to the song. We didn't care that everyone saw us line dancing. LOL!
By GrishkoMerrell Comments: 292, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:03 PM
I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience! What a jerk! Physical beauty definitely has nothing to do with dancing, and some of the most sought after dancers I know aren't conventionally pretty at all (that goes for men and women).

That said, I think he was actually trying to compliment you... awkwardly and messing it up entirely, but that's what it sounds like to me!

Here's my read: You know how sometimes when you're giving someone a correction, you tell them a positive and a negative? As in, "that turn had great energy, but you need to point your toe more." I think he was trying to make you feel comfortable by telling you one thing you already had covered (being beautiful), then one easy thing (just relax and have fun), and finally one actual constructive thing (follow his lead). Again, it sounds really awkward and uncomfortable, so I'm in no way defending him... but I'll bet he was trying to compliment you and set you at ease.

He also gets total jerk points for trying to push a beginner into moves that she wasn't comfortable with. Not acceptable! What an unfortunate experience. I hope you give us another chance!

And, by the way, good for you two for getting up and line dancing at the end! I hope you were able to salvage the night and have some fun.
On Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:38 PM
Edited by Rainbws_Watrflls (197101) on 2009-04-01 23:40:26
Thank you for your comment. I am going tonight (Thursday) because one of the instructors is going to help me to learn the shim-sham dance, so we shall see how that goes. I feel totally lost compared to all the others that look like professionals. Plus I'm ballet, tap, pointe, and jazz trained so swing dancing is hard to me. The 'rock step' is equal to a ball change in the ballet world. I get mixed up to say the least.

This April fools stuff on this site today is totally rotten. I have had a hard time reading posts tonight and it's frustrating.

I will keep you posted on how tonight goes. Thanks again! Have a safe and blessed rest of the week and weekend.
On Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:08 PM
Tonight went very well. I stayed away from that man from last week. My male cousin who knows I am shy asked me to dance tonight and I did. Then I also danced 3 other times as well with different people.

It was a very good start to my birthday weekend since Friday is my 37th birthday. Big weekend ahead so I won't be around much. Have a safe and blessed one folks! *HUGS* to you all.

Oh I guess they teach a variety of swing dancing... one step and three step so it's not really classed east and west coast according to a gal that I asked tonight.

ReplySendWatch