Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
when did you start hard shoe dances??
By ceiliqueen23member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 08:56 AM

How long after you started ID classes did you start to learn hard shoe dances.

46 Replies to when did you start hard shoe dances??

re: when did you start hard shoe dances??
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 09:07 AM
I started learning the treble jig (and hornpipe too I think) my first year of lessons; I think it was about 4-5 months in maybe? But I started when I was 16; most don't start hardshoe until their second year of lessons, or whenever our teacher feels they are ready and have a firm grasp of softshoe/technique.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 09:22 AM
I started after I'd learnt all of my light dances and knew them properly. So quite some time after I'd first attended class.

Claire.
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 09:26 AM
well I'm 25 and about to start step classes but I have been doing ceili for three years I also heard 2 years but I was hoping it would be sooner then that
By Cinnawiz
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:12 AM
Well, it usually depends on the school. In our school, you don't start learning hard shoe until you know the jig, reel and slip jig. From what I've seen (and experienced), hardshoe starts in the 2nd year of lessons.

I got fitted for hard shoes during the last month of the year and the teacher taught me some basic drills to do over the break (one month). During the first lesson of my second year, we did those basic drills which turned into the beginning of our treble jig.

In our school, age doesn't matter. I started as an adult. We're grouped by level, not age.

Since you come from a ceili background, you might not start in the beginner class which could move your hard shoe starting up. Talk to your TC, they'll know exactly when you're ready. :]
By PWover50
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:42 AM
Started handshoe in my 2nd year - we spent our first year learning soft shoe dances (reel, light jig, slip jig, and single jig) and going to our first feis to compete in those dances.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:06 PM
Started in my second year, when I was in the adult non-competitive class. They had all been doing tap for years, and did hardshoe in tap shoes. I was the only one in real hardshoes.

The kids class started their second year too.
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:12 PM
well I guess I should resign my self to waiting two years thats ok I'm just so excited to get started I think I getting ahead of myself. Thanks for all of your comments keep them coming
By HBwahinemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:16 PM
After getting the 4 softshoe dances down. Our teacher has no set time period when you start hard shoe, just after you have your softshoe dances learned. For me, it was my 2nd month. (the softshoe came quick since I had been watching my kids do it so much before I started.)
By Spookiesquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 04:12 PM
I was started in hardshoe five months after I started dancing. (Last month :) )Though I did not completely learn the last of my softshoe dances, sometimes at the end of my adult classes there is only one student dancer there to dance in hardshoe so I throw myself in. I also just decided to ask my TC if it was alright if I stayed for the beginner hardshoe classes and she had no problem with it.

Learn your first four softshoe dances but let your teacher know that you would like to also start learning hardshoe soon and see what they say.
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 04:22 PM
I started dancing in July of 2006, and I started learning hardshoe (basic trebles) in January of 2007.

So roughly 7 months, but I started when I was 13.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 05:02 PM
I have been taking around a year not. (I am 20).

It took me about 6 months before she let me start learning hard shoes.
Hard shoe is super hard for me so I still haven't learned all of my dances yet.
I started with Treble Jig. I finally finished Hornpipe and St. Pat's Day
By Rince_Dochas_Gramember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:00 PM
Second year, aka Advanced Begginer. There are some scars I never want to get rid of...
By reelgatorstreble
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:10 PM
I guess it varies between schools, because I honestly think I started learning it around the same time as the majority of my soft shoe stuff.

At the school I switched to the new dancers were expected to learn all of their soft shoe dances first.
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 05, 2009 07:44 PM
If I remember correctly it was still within my first year of dancing. Definitely after I had learned & mastered the beginner's soft shoe dances though.
By iloveirishdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 08:19 PM
I'm an adult and started in January. The class was already four months into learning and they were already learning basic horpipe steps so I had to learn them to keep up. I competed in hornpipe and treble jig in an adult beginner competition just 4 months after learning. Every school is different though. I had to learn to keep up.
By ReelJiggered
On Wed Apr 08, 2009 09:40 AM
I started dance as an adult, but I had the advantage of having taken tap dancing in my youth. I started learning hard shoe dances (in soft shoes) probably 5 or 6 months after starting.

K
By silverhaze
On Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:32 PM
I started in an advanced beginner class, because my sister had taught me the basics including how to treble. So I got to start hardshoe straight away!
By rainbow_rawr
On Mon Apr 13, 2009 04:28 PM
At my school, we start our treable jigs after about a year or so (depending on your age, like if a 4 year old had been dancing for a year, they wouldn't start then [it's like a attention span thing i think], but in the older beginner classes they do) and maybe 2 or 3 years (maybe not) after that they satrt hornpipe.
By cowabungafango
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 06:28 PM
i started learning hard shoe dances my second year, but it really just depends on your teacher. i think most schools get you started on the basics of hard shoe after 6-12 months :)
By Angie08
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 06:48 PM
Started dancing in May of 2006 and was in hard shoes by that Christmas.
By irishgirl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:32 PM
I've danced non-competitively for almost 2 years, and this Saturday I'll be starting in my first class at a new school. So my new TC says I'll be in hardshoes by the summer. I'm so excited!!
By Reelathlete
On Thu May 28, 2009 09:53 PM
In my school they want you to at least learn 3 soft shoe dances perfectly before they want you to start hardshoe. I started like 2months ago in hard shoe.
By DancingintheSnow
On Fri May 29, 2009 10:07 AM
DD was six and half when she started dancing and almost eight when she finally started hard shoe.
By Celtic_Rosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 29, 2009 03:01 PM
It took me about 5-6 months to begin hardshoe. I started when I was ten, and I was in a class with a bunch of kids who were 6-7 years old. I was also at a very small school--there were about 30 kids total. I learned trebles at my first class, fast hornpipe at my second class, and fast treble jig at my third.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch