Popular Teachers

Struggling to make a living doing what i love. by livelovedance08
I am just wondering if I should be struggling this much to make a living doing something I love. I...

Forum: Tap / Tap

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Tap
Capezio Tap Shoes???? en>fr fr>en
By luvs2dancealot Comments: 1092, member since Mon Mar 31, 2008
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 04:52 PM

I am currently wearing Capezio CG09 Premier Tap Shoes and I am required to get Capezio CG55 Xtreme's or another pair of CG09's but they're discontinued and I can't find them anywhere. Everyone wearing the CG55's are having trouble with them (blisters, screws loose, etc.) I was looking at discountdance.com and saw the Capezio CG100 Hoofmasters. They look the exact same to me from what I've seen in the pictures. Does anyone use these or know of anybody that uses these and likes them and can you really tell any difference between these and the CG55's???? Thanks!!!

28 Replies to Capezio Tap Shoes????

re: Capezio Tap Shoes???? en>fr fr>en
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7517, member since Wed Nov 28, 2001
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 05:48 PM
The heel on the CG100s is a little more stacked than the CG55s, but as far as I can remember (I sold Capezio shoes for two years, ending last August) that's the only main difference. Capezio tap shoes are, to be honest, crap. Get Blochs! (I know, you can't. Darn dress codes. But I wouldn't pay extra for CG100s; just stick with the CG55s.)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16200, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Apr 04, 2009 09:40 PM
^How funny...I absolutely hate Blochs, but my last pair of Capezios sucked too. They just sucked less than the Blochs. Why does everyone seem to have a problem with Capezio's and blisters. All my students have issues with that too!
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7517, member since Wed Nov 28, 2001
On Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:06 AM
That's so weird! I have a pair of Blochs that have lasted me for YEARS. They're actually a hand-me-down from a cousin and I adore them. So comfortable.
On Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:12 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-04-05 10:03:58 spelling
I think my problem is that they are just not wide enough to accommodate my large metatarsal. Someone once told me that Capezio uses slightly wider lasts for their shoes than Bloch and that is why Capezio has always fit my foot better. I have always had better luck with Capezio jazz and pointe shoes growing up too.

I had the Capezio K360's and was talked into putting the Bloch taps on them...BLAH BLAH BLAH. They sounded so dead to me. I changed to a Capezio Tele Tone within 6 months. I do have to say the K360's were the biggest mistake I ever made but that is for another thread at another time.
By Chepyl Comments: 2344, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:18 AM
My first pair of jazz taps was the original Capezio Jazz tap! I hated them, they fit my feet badly and looked awful (I think they looked awful on anyone! I liked the Blochs better when they came out. The last pair I had that I REALLY liked were Leo's I think.

My sister liked her K360s and her CG09s and she is more of a tapper than me.
By Tap_Dance_Kid Comments: 585, member since Sun Dec 09, 2007
On Sun Apr 05, 2009 09:24 PM
Crapezio...enough said!

Capezio is NOT known for their tap shoe line and never will be. My students used cg55's until this year when I had them switch to split soles. The screws were CONSTANTLY falling out and they sounded like poo!

I have tried all of the models that you have listed and hated them all, but if I had to choose one pair out of the bunch, I would just replace your CG09's with a new pair.
On Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:09 PM
It is a sad state of affairs when you have to choose the shoe that sucks the least!
By Tappercise Comments: 285, member since Sun Jul 08, 2007
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 08:21 AM
I stopped using Capezio about three years ago because I got tired of having the screws fall out and I switched over to So Danca’s Professional Tap shoes, which I really like. The only down side is that we have some shows coming up this fall and I would like to have some black & white tap shoes for one of our swing routines.

Miller and Ben tap shoes are well made and they come in a wide variety of colors, but I’ve heard their shoes are hard to break in because of the stiffness. Can anyone tell me more about Ben and Miller tap shoes or whether the Triple Threat is better or worse than the Jazz-Tap Master?
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 02:25 PM
^It all depends on what you want from your shoes. I prefer the Triples, but neither is "better" than the other./
By Sumayah Comments: 6095, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 01:27 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2009-04-07 13:30:10 clarification
I personally have the Capezio M60's (Fortune) tap shoe and I like it well enough. I don't believe for a minute that the sole is leather, but what ever. They've held up better than my K360's ever did. The CG55 is a step up from the plastictacular 442 "Tapster." The CG100's are basically the same shoe as the CG55's, just a little nicer and more comfortable but also more expensive. The M60's are a double stack heel in between the price range of the Hoof Master and K360.

Oh and don't expect any sympathy from Capezio. When my heel (not my tap, my actual built up heel) on my K360's fell off after 6 months and I took them back, I was told, sorry, take them to the shoe hospital. But as I said, I've had better luck with the Fortune's.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Thu Apr 09, 2009 02:01 PM
I've basically worn Capezio or Bloch since I started tapping and can honestly say I haven't had any problems with either. I actually have a pair of tap shoes from the early to mid 90's that are still wearable. Granted they can bend completely in half and are no support whatsoever to my foot, but they can be worn :)
re: Capezio Tap Shoes???? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By martyCTT Comments: 176, member since Sun Jan 04, 2009
On Tue Apr 21, 2009 09:45 AM
You can't beat Capezio's tele-tone tap... but their shoes on the other hand... have evolved into some form of, useless garbage? Somewhere in between split sole tap shoes and dog poop.

I grew up on CG-09's- which, back in the day capezio's entry level shoes were still made with some quality and the K360's were still made with Brazilian leather. Something like 7 years ago their quality started going way down.

I still love the K's tonality, don't get me wrong. Also the problems most people have with their K-360's are with their build-up. The shoe for the most part is solid, and though it isn't Brazilian leather, it is supple enough. My first pair of K's the build-up fell off on the front foot (I had capezio's shoe guy in that does the special buildups at their place in NY do it).

People I have spoken to that love their K's and haven't had any problems, and use the heck out of their shoes like me got theirs done by some guy named Matt at the Dancing Fair dancingfair.com.

If you compare the buildup on the dancing fair k360s and the ones directly from capezio, you notice a big difference. Capezio just glues on more layers of leather and does a half hearted job of sealing the sides. Dancing fair's guy completely reworks the sole, remounts the heel, heck, you can even see the stitching on the bottom layer of the buildup, so you know thats not coming off without a fight.

Back to the original topic... I recommend to my students that aren't serious enough to spring for a custom pair or are trying to save a few bucks, the Bloch S0361L "Respect" oxford tap shoe. The leather is really soft, and overall it is a very comfortable shoe. For having bloch taps on it, the tonality is great! The ones that use this shoe don't seem to have any blister problems. It is a durable shoe and provides decent support for proper toe stands.
By tappingitout Comments: 223, member since Thu Oct 16, 2008
On Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:47 AM
Edited by tappingitout (203130) on 2009-04-21 11:49:30
I had CG09s for years when I was much younger. It was my shoe of choice for it's affordability and good sound quality. NOTHING beats capezio taps in terms of sound quality. If you can find an old pair of CG09s on e-bay....go that route. The new Capezio taps are just not as good of quality as they used to be. The K360s aren't made as well either, so it's not just their lower end shoes, it's across the board. The Fortune M60 is okay. I've tried it out and it's not too bad, but it's a little pricy for the non-serious tapper.
Also, in response to the person inquiring about the Miller and Ben's, there is a lot of discussion on those in the thread about Custom Tap Shoes by imadanseur. I have the JTMs and love them, but I've heard a lot of good things about the TTs as well.
By Roxy12 Comments: 21, member since Sun Apr 26, 2009
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 02:48 PM
I say just stick with the CG55s but all in all capezio tap shoes don't give a great sound and aren't comfortable and are hard to break in i lve leos split sole lace up i hate dress codes our studio doesn't have any we just need to wear a leotard for ballet and thats it other than that we can wear whatever we want

Comment #8169163 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-04-28 05:03:17 Double post.

By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 05:05 AM
martyCTT wrote:

You can't beat Capezio's tele-tone tap.

I beg to differ. Newcastle taps are infinitely superior in sound quality and depth of tone. Unfortunately for most of the world (but fortunately for me!) they are only available in Australia, direct from one particular person in Newcastle, NSW.

Helen
By martyCTT Comments: 176, member since Sun Jan 04, 2009
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 09:59 AM
Newcastle taps?

Helen, do you know of any website to order them and have them shipped to america? I only say that about teletones because I just havent heard anything here in the states that is better. It would be interesting to try some taps from another country. What are the major tap shoe manufacturers over there?
By Savannah_Danca Comments: 3, member since Sun May 03, 2009
On Sun May 03, 2009 07:00 PM
my dance teacher requires us to have capezios because to her they work the best. I love mine. and I absolutely hate bloches and leos, k360s I think are the best tap shoes ever. I have m60s and I think capezios look better 2. and teletone taps are awesome
By AJjazz Comments: 42, member since Tue Jan 23, 2007
On Mon Jun 15, 2009 03:49 PM
The CG100s don't have the screw problem and are much better put together than the CG55s. At this level of tap shoe you are better off if you can find the CG09s, but since they are discontinued they are harder and harder to find.
On Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:53 PM
k360s I think are the best tap shoes ever. I have m60s and I think capezios look better 2. and teletone taps are awesome

What other tap shoes have you worn that are comparable to the k360? Ever had a pair of Miller and Ben shoes or heard them in comparison to the k360?? I would almost guarantee you would not claim the k360 is the best shoe ever.

Obviously a k360 is going to be better than the m60's (which is a shoe that sells RETAIL for $65.00), or any lower end shoe that Capezio or Bloch produces. Compare the k360 to other professional shoe and you will see that there are other shoes far better in quality and sound.
By Sumayah Comments: 6095, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:17 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2009-06-17 00:21:16 well, where I live the retail for that, maybe not where you are....
The M60 goes for more than that, in store it goes for over $100. But no, they aren't amazing. They're okay. I still say they're better than my K360's ever were but that might also be influenced because Amber Fortune (who designed them) is an awesome chick.
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12093, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 01:45 AM
martyCTT wrote:

Newcastle taps?

Helen, do you know of any website to order them and have them shipped to america? I only say that about teletones because I just havent heard anything here in the states that is better. It would be interesting to try some taps from another country. What are the major tap shoe manufacturers over there?

Nope, no website. It's seriously low-key - you mail your shoes over with a return addressed envelope and everything! :)

The reputable tap shoe manufacturer in Australia is Salvios, who also does a lot of customisation (www.salvios.com.au . . .). The others do exist (Bloch etc), but in terms of a adv/pro perspective aren't taken seriously. It's a fantastic shoe that definitely tops Capezio, anyway, according to all my friends who have danced in both ;)

I really like what you say about the stitched-on sole, though. I've yet to find someone who'll do that over here...
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 07:27 AM
The M60 goes for more than that, in store it goes for over $100.

Interesting. We have one store that will order them and sell them for $70.00 and I get my teacher's discount, and the other Capezio store sells them for around $100.00. I found them on the internet for $65.00, and $75.00. How odd they vary so much on price.
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Tue Jun 23, 2009 09:50 PM
martyCTT wrote:

Back to the original topic... I recommend to my students that aren't serious enough to spring for a custom pair or are trying to save a few bucks, the Bloch S0361L "Respect" oxford tap shoe. The leather is really soft, and overall it is a very comfortable shoe. For having bloch taps on it, the tonality is great! The ones that use this shoe don't seem to have any blister problems. It is a durable shoe and provides decent support for proper toe stands.

Hmmm...I was wondering how those are. They seem pretty decent for me...considering I'm definitely trying to "save a few bucks"

Any other thoughts on them??

(and sorry...I'm hijacking this aren't I)

~Madison
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch