Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
beginner leaps!!!
By ceiliqueen23member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:15 AM

does anyone have photos of their first leaps they learned?? and how long was it after you started that you were able to do them fairly well.

28 Replies to beginner leaps!!!

re: beginner leaps!!!
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 02:57 PM
Edited by PogMoGillies (177934) on 2009-04-06 14:58:14
This is a pictue of me doing a leap, or over the bridge, which is the same movement.
www.dance.net . . .
I learned this four months into classes, and I'm still working on making it pretty. This picture was a year and a half of dancing later.
We don't learn any jumps other than leaps until our top levels of classes.
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:41 AM
i think that is a lovely leap I would be happy if I could just look like that and get that height. thanks it seems this was a tough question you were the only one to reply
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:43 AM
It's a tough question because there aren't many leaps in ID. The style just doesn't lend itself to different jumps.
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 01:13 PM
well what I was looking for was exactly what you showed me that was a perfect example I just wanted to see something to strive for. thanks
By iloveirishdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 07:58 PM
the most common leap is like the one pictured by the last poster, and i attached one too (notice my leg is already coming down). Leaps are hard to photograph because usually when your back leg is fully tucked in your front leg is already coming down. It takes a while to learn to "hang" your leap which means to keep the front leg up longer. In my class we call them "over the fence". As a beginner, its okay to have them start out lower to the ground and they will look more like you are jumping over something rather than springing high in the air. You will get the hang of it!
By iloveirishdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 08:00 PM
the most common leap is like the one pictured by the last poster, and i attached one too (notice my leg is already coming down). Leaps are hard to photograph because usually when your back leg is fully tucked in your front leg is already coming down. It takes a while to learn to "hang" your leap which means to keep the front leg up longer. In my class we call them "over the fence". As a beginner, its okay to have them start out lower to the ground and they will look more like you are jumping over something rather than springing high in the air. You will get the hang of it!
On Wed Apr 08, 2009 08:41 AM
wow that is fantastic you look so graceful while doing it thanks
By TuniePremium member
On Wed Apr 08, 2009 08:17 PM
Those two pics are great, because they show the same leap, but different variations: knee down vs. knee tucked. You'll have to ask your TC which they prefer, every one is different.
By CelticAngel
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 PM
There is one main big "leap" in irish dancing. It progresses with you as you move through the grades and your technique improves.

In Beginners, it is generally referred to as a "1-2-3" or "Over-2-3" and 8 of these make up the lead around or 1st step of the Beginners Reel.

At a more advanced level, that same movement becomes the "leap" in the photos posted above. More emphasis is placed on how high you jump, how much power you jump with, the height of the front straight leg, the position of the back leg and on the desire to hold or "freeze" in that position in the air before landing.

Here is a thread with many "leap" pictures www.dance.net . . ..
Some of these pictures are of World Champions- an inspiration, and something to strive for as you mentioned.
Some of these pictures are of the rest of us who are still trying to perfect that perfect "leap" :P

Best of luck,
CelticAngel
oxo
By irishzippyPremium member
On Sun May 03, 2009 04:37 PM
I think that videos really only help if you are able to watch each peice carefully, and photos only show a tiny part of the leap. if you go on a website with videos on it (like youtube or videojug) and search for the leap that you are looking for in slow motion, you can watch it done correctly and slowly so its broken down for you and you can watch each little peice of the done right. if you are unsure about whats right,(yeah, there will be a few done wrong) just compare the internet leap to the leaps of the best dancer at your school. I really really really hope this helps and i wish you the very best of luck in your irish dancing career. PEACE OUT!
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 03, 2009 09:53 PM
Edited by Ally (147405) on 2009-05-03 21:55:34
I have been taking a little over a year. I decided to mess around today. It is hella hard to get a leap picture with a self timer. I make hilariously awful faces when I dance so I distorted it. I know my carriage is terrible and my wrists go like that when I leaps, its funny. So yeah, no critiques you just asked
img.photobucket.com . . .

At my level, it isn't about "hang time", it is pointing your toes and actual OVER 2,3 and kicking your bum lol Which you can see in my pic is not clearly demonstrating
By BethanysMAIDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 04, 2009 03:01 AM
First pic is DD doing a leap as a beginner - the leg does not have the height that the dancers do when they have been dancing longer as it is already on its way down.

The second one is her leap after about 2 years dancing - she has the height now but needs to work on keeping her posture straight - she is putting in too much effort to jump up and hence leaning forward.

Hope these help a little:)

G
By irishmarks
On Mon May 04, 2009 06:59 AM
Very cool leap photos! Thanks for sharing!!!
By DarcysReelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 09, 2009 03:27 PM
Mine was the same as the ones people have posted pictures of. As a beginner, you definately do not need to have the height they do! That'll come with time.

Just try to do the leaps with pointed toes and a straight knee. :) Even with height, without those things leaps look bad.
By Reelathlete
On Thu May 28, 2009 09:52 PM
I dont have a picture of me doing one but I practice with ankle weights they help with building your muscle and when you take them off after practiceing with them on for a while your legs feel much lighter and you get more lift! I use like 2Lbs.
By maddyrockets
On Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:23 PM
PogMoGillie you have beautiful height to your jump but as me being a champion dancer i will have to say that you do need that back leg where... TO YOUR B U T T!! Your BUTT!!!!!
On Sun Jun 14, 2009 09:18 PM
Maddie- I know what you mean- If you looked at my post, you would have seen that my problem was that I could kick my butt, but not while my leg was up.
Here's my newest leap on the beach picutre, 2 years later, and you can see that I'm getting better
On Tue Jun 16, 2009 02:24 PM
pog I like it and I think your height looks great hope you had or are having a great honeymoon
By RocknMyPoodleSoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 06, 2009 07:58 AM
maddyrockets wrote:

PogMoGillie you have beautiful height to your jump but as me being a champion dancer i will have to say that you do need that back leg where... TO YOUR B U T T!! Your BUTT!!!!!

Now that you've brought this up, I've realized that I've never been sure of something: which side of your butt are you supposed to hit? Should it be the opposite side (for example: if you are tucking your left foot under, should you be hitting the right cheak) or should it be the same side? I've always done the opposite side and none of my teachers have ever corrected me, so I assume that is correct?
On Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:34 AM
If your back foot is turned out, then when you jump or kick up in any way, you are naturally going to kick the other cheek (as opposed to turning it I guess...)
On Wed Jul 08, 2009 02:10 PM
I thought so too, but when I look at pictures of champion dancers doing leaps, the leg that gets tucked is parallel to their other leg and I don't know how they could possibly be hitting the opposite side without turning that leg out some.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 07:22 PM
it took me a while to get it, but my teacher teaches us to immediately tuck our knee so they look attatched, and the curve of your arch of your foot to (this may sound weird) the curve of your bum. try taking two chairs and through your front leg to about 90 degrees, and tuck your knees so that they touch. dont birng your back leg over, just keep jumping and getting your knees to touch so it kind of looks like the leap pictures from the champs.
thats how i got my leaps high. theyre not perfect and im still working on it, but thats how i get it/
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 PM
saoirse3473 wrote:

it took me a while to get it, but my teacher teaches us to immediately tuck our knee so they look attatched, and the curve of your arch of your foot to (this may sound weird) the curve of your bum. try taking two chairs and through your front leg to about 90 degrees, and tuck your knees so that they touch. dont birng your back leg over, just keep jumping and getting your knees to touch so it kind of looks like the leap pictures from the champs.
thats how i got my leaps high. theyre not perfect and im still working on it, but thats how i get it/

Is there anyway you can show me a picture/drawing of this? I want to try it, but I'm having trouble understanding. Thanks!
By irishdancer0910
On Mon Jul 27, 2009 01:49 PM
well, I started dancing when I was about 4, and I did leaps decently in a couple of months.

But a leap is something that you gain over time. I now have high leaps, but I'm still working on getting higher leaps and hang time.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch