Poll: Adults / 40 Something

Who started ballet class for the 1st time at 40 or older
By ballettolate Comments: 45, member since Tue Jun 24, 2008
On Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:36 AM

I am just seeing the # of people that started ballet because they like it/like the art/like the work out>>more then a joining a gym/ or just some thing new to try

17 Replies to Who started ballet class for the 1st time at 40 or older

re: Who started ballet class for the 1st time at 40 or older
By ballettolate Comments: 45, member since Tue Jun 24, 2008
On Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:56 AM
1-3 works but it should have been 1-4 and I left out #4 I am 30's or 40's and i just started because I waned to try class
BTL
By sandyr999 Comments: 28, member since Sun Nov 03, 2002
On Sat Sep 12, 2009 05:08 PM
I took A fitness stretch out class at the _Y_@ 39.5 what it was when I got in there it was a "Ballet "Class by week 2 we moved from the -Y- to the teachers Dance school
so I can Say at 40 I took my 1st Ballet class
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sat Sep 12, 2009 07:26 PM
I took ballet for a couple of years as a teen. Then, twenty-six years later I restarted at the age of forty-three. That was six years ago.

:)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:02 AM
^Similar

I took ballet when I was younger and was away for more than 20 years. Came back about 7 years ago. I took two years to get back to pointe.
By Ballet40Premium member Comments: 39, member since Wed Jun 18, 2008
On Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:30 AM
I took ballet and tap from age 6-7, then restarted Ballet more seriously at age 13, quickly rose up to being granted en-pointe three months or so after starting, then danced till age 17 or 18. Was int/adv Pointe by that time (couldn't yet do fuettes or grand jetes, arrgggh). Then got married at 18, had kid by 21, another by 23, tried restarting here and there, didn't work, now at age 42, restarted,lol!
By PureTapPremium member Comments: 1082, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Sat Dec 12, 2009 02:37 PM
I took jazz, ballet and tap as a child and stopped at about aged 18.

Started tap again last year at 39 and absolutely love it as it satisfies me on so many different levels - fitness, musicality, friendships and social life!

Cheers
Di
By circusboy Comments: 1, member since Tue Feb 23, 2010
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 07:14 PM
I had a neighbor growing up who owned a ballet studio.She would ask my mom if I was interested(which I desperately was!)since she never had any boys in the class.My mom would laugh as if it was a ridiculous idea,after all ,my Dad was the football coach in town!It took until I was 40 to get up the guts to take class.I'm so glad I did!!
By Dancerat50member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 353, member since Fri Dec 18, 2009
On Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:26 PM
I took ballet until age 18 when I moved to NYC and joined the Harkness. Had a bad accident and didn't dance for 30 years. Started back about 2 years ago and will perform a solo next month.
On Mon Mar 29, 2010 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies...just a note to let ya'll know that shortly after starting to post here (and only about a month or so of taking 3x wk classes) I had to drop out due to stay home and be a fulltime Caregiver to my Mother-in-law who was dying of COPD/Emphysema and Heart Disease. She passed away on Feb 14th 2010. Then we had to organize the funeral, settle her estate, etc, then right after that, my son's just gotten married a couple days ago and it was out of state, so Whew! BACK now, finally. I will probably resume classes that begin in Aug/Sept. Also trying to convince hubby to rip up our old carpeting and having hardfloors so I can practice at home :)

Keep up all the replies, they help a lot!
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Thu Jun 03, 2010 02:06 PM
Where do you find a ballet class for adults? I may want to start again sometime in the future, but I would feel a little funny going back to my old studio and sharing a class with the 14-17 year old prodigies.
I've never been that great at ballet. But I did enjoy being on pointe once I found shoes that worked for me.
On Thu Jun 03, 2010 04:12 PM
Reidfidleir wrote:

Where do you find a ballet class for adults? I may want to start again sometime in the future, but I would feel a little funny going back to my old studio and sharing a class with the 14-17 year old prodigies.
I've never been that great at ballet. But I did enjoy being on pointe once I found shoes that worked for me.

I just went to the same dance places here that kids would take at. And tho some states have adult classes or the adults are taking WITH the kids at their various levels, in my case, I was the ONLY adult taking Ballet II. My classes were full of 9-11 yr olds which I didn't mind a bit! THEY are MUCH nicer and easier to judge you than with teens, ugh! ;)
I think you should take a class or two. See how you like it then go from there. I plan to maybe resume classes in September.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 05:35 AM
I danced until my mid-teens. Went back when I was in my early 40's (about 2 years ago).

If you are looking for adult classes, a ballet studio (vs a general dance studio) will usually be your best bet. They tend to have "open" aka drop-in classes. Our local YMCA also has some adult classes in different dance genres. You might even want to approach a local studio owner. You are probably not the only one in your area who wants to give it a try. I think it is an untapped market in many areas that coud do very well if marketed well.
By tellaboy Comments: 66, member since Wed Sep 29, 2010
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 07:56 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:08:35 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
Hello ballettolate, in my 40's. I think I am going to final get my chance to take Ballet.
Did you start as an adult or as a kid?
By tellaboy Comments: 66, member since Wed Sep 29, 2010
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 08:05 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-05-12 11:07:24 You must use capitalization and punctuation.
I agree 100% Reidfidleir.
Some of the "Adult" class are 16 on up I want a Class 29- on up.

P.S. Thats a cool photo on you profile. Icone is that you looking in to the water?
By idojazz Comments: 5, member since Tue Jan 04, 2011
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 01:47 PM
I started ballet at age 40, took it for many years, then switched to jazz, as it's more my style. Now I do improv jazz in rock clubs. Even though I'm way older than most of the clubbers, I get lots of compliments. I encourage all older beginning dancers to not only take classes, but think of performing, if that's what you'd like. For instance, retirement centers always welcome entertainers of all kinds. Happy dancing, Diane
By BG1 Comments: 21, member since Fri Apr 13, 2012
On Mon Apr 16, 2012 06:24 AM
Well, I don't really qualify since I started already at the tender age of 38. No previous experience.
Quite frankly it was really a case of sheer madness.
Fortunately I live in a city where there are several studios offering beginner classes (and more advanced) for adults.
Personally I don't mind taking classes with younger people, i.e. late teens and upwards. There's usually a more serious atmosphere then.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Apr 16, 2012 06:43 AM
I voted that I took as a kid and restarted. However those, few childhood lessons were almost all very bad, worse than nothing, taught by people with no technique who didn't know anything about ballet! So I "really" started in middle age.

ReplySendWatch