Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

help with back foot in splits?
By vballmonkey433
On Fri Apr 10, 2009 04:57 PM

In the front splits, how is your back foot supposed to be? I'm not doing splits in my jazz class because of recital work, so my teacher can't see if I'm doing it correctly. Thanks!

10 Replies to help with back foot in splits?

re: help with back foot in splits?
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 10, 2009 05:28 PM
It should be pointed. A decent rule of thumb for jazz: if you ever have your foot off the ground, assume it should be pointed unless told otherwise.
By jockeygirl
On Fri Apr 10, 2009 05:51 PM
Depends whether they are parallel splits or turned out. If your front foot is turned then back one should be too ( arch should be touching the floor). If they are straight splits where your front foot is straight with absolutely no turnout then the back one is dead straight ( top of foot is resting on the floor). I took your question to be a technique one - of course they would also be stretched.
does that help?
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:53 PM
You should be on top of your knee with your foot pointed.
By vballmonkey433
On Sun Apr 12, 2009 09:40 AM
Thanks for all of your help! I was wondering because depending on how far I push myself down, my foot sometimes turns inward - which I'm guessing is incorrect.
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Sun Apr 12, 2009 07:46 PM
I would think that would be bad for your knee, wouldn't it?

The way I was taught, is if you're on top of your knee, then your foot will just go straight back, if you have the correct form, and that's how it should be.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 08:51 AM
No, your foot should not be inward, that is incorrect. Your back foot should either be in a turned out position where the inside of your foot is toward the ground(but you need to be turning out from the hip, not just turning your foot). It can also be straight, where the top of your foot(where your shoelaces would be) is touching the floor, and your knee is also down. Either of those two are correct depending on your teacher, but your foot should never ever be turned in.
By vballmonkey433
On Mon Apr 20, 2009 05:10 PM
I've tried what both of you have said, and my splits have been much easier to sit in and I'm able to push myself farther down. Thanks again!
By emydivah
On Wed May 13, 2009 06:08 PM
There is square hip splits and turnout splits. For square hip you should have your back leg straight, but not on your knee because you could damage it so it is not literally straight. for turnout your inside of your back leg should be facing the floor or on the floor depending on how far down you are.
I hope this helps :)
Emmy xoxo
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 18, 2009 07:59 PM
In all splits the back leg should be turned out, you'd hurt your knee if it were under. The inside of your leg should be on the ground and your knee should face the side!! =]
By Scarlett93
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:52 AM
Keep your back leg turned out and your foot pointed - and not sickled as mine likes to try to get away with...!
Scarlett x

ReplySendWatch