Forum: Arts / Photos - Misc

Photos - Misc
Suggestions on SLR camera
By dancer_emjmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1151, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 02:03 PM

Alright, so I know there a lot of photographers on here, so I thought you could give me some good suggestions.

For a graduation/birthday present, my parents are buying me a new camera. I really want a Digital SLR, but I'm kind of stuck on what kind I want to get and where to look for the best deals.

I do have experience with one, so it's not like I'm just randomly getting one and won't know anything about it, but I still don't want one that's too incredibly fancy. I really like Canons, but I'm willing to look at other brands.

What do you suggest? Any advice from you wonderful photographers would be grand :)

5 Replies to Suggestions on SLR camera

re: Suggestions on SLR camera
By irish_dancer_82 Comments: 545, member since Tue Feb 01, 2005
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 02:43 PM
I recently bought the Canon Eos 450D package: body and 2 lenses: 18-55 and 55-250 with Image stabiliser. That helps to filter out the little shake that can influence the picture.

It's a very camera all in all and I'll hartly recommend it!
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 03:24 PM
I have a Canon Rebel XT. It's out of date, and the body-style is hard to find lenses for, but it works. Any of the Rebels are good IMHO.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 03:43 PM
Canon / Nikon is kind of a personal preference thing. Either camera is going to make you happy. If you already have lenses for a Canon film SLR, it would make sense to get a digital Canon SLR. I personally can't stand how the Canon bodies feel in my hands--I like the weight and durability of Nikon bodies because Canons feel like I'm using a toy camera--but to each their own!

Since I'm a Nikon gal, I can say that the Nikon d40 is a solid little camera that's not that expensive but produces some really stunning results. I'd recommend it.

Dani
By emilytheprincess Comments: 1208, member since Thu Jan 12, 2006
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:37 PM
I got a kit with the Canon Rebel xsi with an 18-55 (I think?) and a 50-300 (or something like that) at Costco and it was a pretty good price, and I really like the camera a lot. I would highly suggest it.
By dancer_emjmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1151, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 05:18 PM
Edited by dancer_emj (176440) on 2009-04-15 17:24:16 I should really type the word I mean instead of some other random word..
Edited by dancer_emj (176440) on 2009-04-15 17:24:54
Wow thanks for all the replies so fast!

I found a package with a Canon Rebel XS or XSi [depends which I get] that comes with a 18-55 mm lens and some other things, and that's what I'm thinking about getting. I've done some price comparisons, and from what I've seen this is a pretty good deal.

I agree that Canon/Nikon is a personal preference. I had a Nikon camera once and wasn't happy with it, and I've had two Canons that I love. Also, the SLR I do have experience with is a Canon, so I feel like it would be easier to learn the one I do buy if it was a Canon.

irish_dancer_82, where did you get your package?

Thanks again for the great advice, and anymore is appreciated! :D

ReplySendWatch