Forum: Arts / Photos - Misc

Photos - Misc
What kind of camera do I need for this photography course?
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 05:15 PM

Okay, so I'm taking a photography course in school next year, and we're supposed to get the cameras by the end of this year so the teacher can make sure we all have the right ones. My Mum would like to go and get it for me soon, but the problem is, I have no idea what kind of camera I need.

I asked the teacher, and she told me "You need one that you can use for developing your own pictures" and showed me hers. I have no idea what kind it was, but I kind of know what it looks like. I was going to ask her what kind I need, but she's gone to a wedding, and won't be back for two weeks.

So basically, what kind of camera do you think that would be? Also, if I figure it out, I'm going to be looking for suggestions on what one is the best, price isn't a worry.

Thank-you so much if you understand this jumbled question! The picture is kind of what I remember her camera looking like- is that even the correct kind I would need?

I have no idea what cameras you use for developing your own film!

1 Replies to What kind of camera do I need for this photography course?

re: What kind of camera do I need for this photography course? (karma: 1)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:33 PM
OK, I used to teach classes like this.

First off you need a camera that shoots film, not digital (apparently) Check this detail. Frankly, I could teach a class using either one.

I would highly recommend a single lens reflex with at least one lens. With the rise of digital photography, film cameras are now readily available on the used market quite cheaply. I would select any basic SLR by any one of the following makers. Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus. There are other fine brands, but these have been sold in sufficient numbers that you can find the cameras and accessories (once you know what the accessories are for, for example there was a very fine camera called a Contax...but they were apparently produced in so few number that it would be impossible to get parts for one.

Each brand made its own lenses and they have unique mountings. A Nikon lense won fit on a Canon and vice versa.

While some automatic features are OK you what a camera that gives you full control over the adjustments. Having a working meter is also important. Having the instruction book is essential if you are new at this.

Jon

ReplySendWatch