Forum: Arts / Religion

Karma vs. destiny
By lux
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 08:19 AM

To me, the concepts of "karma" and "destiny" have always seemed to fall under the same umbrella. But I was thinking about it the other day, and to me, it seem that they're kind of polar opposites:

KARMA, to me, is the whole "what goes around comes around" concept- if you do something good, if you live well, good things will happen to you. You have control over your life and what happens to you.

DESTINY, on the other hand, seems to imply that "if something is meant to happen, it will"- so if you're meant to get a promotion, it won't matter if you walk past the homeless guy begging outside your office every day or buy him lunch, you're still going to get that promotion. Basically, you don't really have control over anything.

Even as I'm writing this, I can see ways in which these two ideas could overlap, but I'm interested to hear what you guys think, especially anyone who believes in karma and/or destiny- how do you reconcile the two?

6 Replies to Karma vs. destiny

re: Karma vs. destiny (karma: 1)
By YouSpinMe14
On Sat Apr 18, 2009 07:42 PM
Very interesting post! I've always been a big fate/destiny believer, but like karma/destiny, I've always viewed them a little different.

I've always seen Fate to be your predetermined life. Something WILL happen, no matter what the circumstances. It is, in essence, part of your creation.

Destiny, while going along with fate, means something different to me. I take destiny to be more about the actions that YOU take that fulfill your fate. Let me put it this way (and I assure you, it may sound dumb, but hopefully my point will come across): The ultimate result will be getting ice cream (Fate.) No matter what choices you make, you will get the ice cream. But you have different paths of getting there (Destiny). You can steal someone else's ice cream, or you can go to the ice cream shop and by ice cream. While fate and destiny have the same result, they don't have the same course of action.

That was kind of complicated. Anyway, I definitely see the Karma/Destiny idea. I like to think that true destiny is Karma. I can't necessarily give examples to support my theory though, it's just...a belief I have. Of course, I suppose that's the same with all beliefs. My belief of fate is more your belief of destiny in specifics, but in purpose is the same. I'm sorry if none of this seems to make any sense. Hopefully you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

Anyhow, great point, and I hope I might have contributed SOMETHING to it. ;)
re: Karma vs. destiny (karma: 1)
By maureensiobhan
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:48 AM
In the words of Shakespear, "Our future lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.". By that, he meant that you have control over what happens to you. If you want to achieve something positive, you're the one who has to take the necessary steps to achieve that goal. Nobody is going to hand it to you on a silver platter.
re: Karma vs. destiny
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:14 AM
I absolutely do not believe in destiny. I'm going to school to be a teacher, but I don't think I'm "destined" to be a teacher. I could be equally happy at other jobs, should those be the ones I'd chosen. If something magic and wonderful happens to me, it's not because it was destined to happen. It happened because I am a good person and was in the right place at the right time. I don't think God controls anything to do with my life really. Because if I supposedly have free will, but it's my "destiny" for all these things to happen, I'm not really so free now, am I?

I think as humans, we want everything to have happened for a reason, hence our obsession with destiny. For instance, I failed last semester of college due to anxiety and depression. I could go on and on saying how it happened for the reason that now I'm motivated, have my problems under control, am closer to my family, etc. However, I don't believe that. I could have gone to a therapist back in October and it never would have escalated and I'd still be living down at school. But since it DID happen, I'm choosing to make the best of it, hence the good things that have come out of it.

Now, soul mates I most definitely believe in, though for many that probably discredits everything I've just said.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:34 PM
I believe in both.

I don't believe that because I gave a homeless man food, I'll be given a promotion. But I do believe that if I give a homeless man food, the world will become a slightly better place, and that somewhere down the line it will be paid back to me. Kind of like inheritence.

I also believe that God has a plan for me, but that I don't have to fulfill that plan. It is a plan to give me my best life, but I'm free to choose if I want to trust Him and live that life.

I believe in meant to be, and I believe that God has order in chaos, but I don't believe that pre-destination defines what my life will be. I have free will.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:38 AM
I'm a firm believer that karma is a bitch, and it does come back around.

So, if you go around mindlessly and do all these crazy things, I would really, really scream out to people to watch their backs.
By dust2dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 11, 2009 01:32 PM
I dont believe in god or anything like that, but i am a firm believer in karma.

Sort of.

I believe of an internal karmic balance as well as a 'Karma policy' in the real world. Internal karma goes like this: You do good things and feel good about them. Your positivity causes others to be nicer to you (good karma) and also re-enforces your happiness, making you an all over more happy self assured person (good karma). Now, lets go in the other direction. If you steal someone's bike, you may feel great about it. But the thoughts of 'oh noz, what if i get caught?!' start to grow in your mind and make you a more sad, edgy person (bad karma). Others pick up on this and won't trust you as easily (especially if you told them about what you have done) and therefore you miss out on friendships, road trips, ect. (bad karma) Not only that, but the thoughts of what you've done and the feelings of rejection from the outside world make you feel sad all the time, or angry. Bad karma. Like, everyone has an internal balance, and one's mood is reflective of ones karma.

Now, the real world has a system of karma too. Good credit from paying bills on time can get you nice things (good karma). Same vice versa. Criminal record = hard to find employment/living quarters (bad karma).

As far as destiny, i like to think that someone who loves puzzles is more likely to become a detective, so you could call that destiny. Or you could call it being predisposition, ect. As far as someone DESTINED to be king, or queen, or brave explorer, nah.

ReplySendWatch