Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Will jazz help me with ballet?
By balletnumb3r1
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 05:00 PM

I took a basic jazz class and alot of the moves are simular to ballet and I wanted to know if jazz will help me get better at ballet or jazz dosen't do much for my ballet technique. The basic class was actually really easy due to the fact that I knew most of the steps from ballet. I ask this because I'm 15 and I'm a begginer and I don't want to be anymore. I danced at one studio for 2 years to find out they taught me incorrectly and I had to start all over again. I just want to be a professional after high school and being a beginner just isn't good enough.

13 Replies to Will jazz help me with ballet?

re: Will jazz help me with ballet?
By Sumayah
On Sun Apr 19, 2009 02:49 PM
I wouldn't say jazz will help your ballet as much as it will compliment it. Jazz will help loosen you up and get you moving, which is good for contemporary ballet styles. Your ballet however will have a much greater impact on you being good at jazz than jazz would at you being good at ballet. It's a lot easier for a ballet dancer to pick up jazz than a jazz dancer to pick up classical ballet.
By Mlillith
On Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:17 PM
It really tends to go the other way - ballet classes help you get better in other genres because ballet is so strengthening both physically and mentally. You get more perfectionistic and observant by doing ballet, at least I do. It helps my lyrical and jazz a lot. Especially my turnouts!
By ballet_babe_sash
On Wed Apr 22, 2009 08:42 PM
Its really is the other way; ballet will help you get better at jazz. I strongly reccomened ballet if you want to do something with dance, it is in ballet class that you will learn all the proper technique and strengthen all your muscles. This can THEN be passed onto your jazz work, and, as many have found, really helps you out with the technical side of jazz, as well as all other dancing in general. Ballet really is the foundataion of it all.
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:21 AM
Edited by primaballerinax0 (201011) on 2009-04-23 08:25:57 . . . . . . . . . . .
Ballet is the root to all styles of dance. All of the steps in other styles are generated from ballet. So I wouldnt think so.

Everyone is a beginner at some point, no matter what they do. Just because you just started something does not mean you are not good at it.
re: Will jazz help me with ballet? (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 AM
AAAA RRRR GGGG HHHH !!!!

BALLET IS NOT THE FREAKING ROOT TO ALL STYLES OF FREAKING DANCE!!! Do you seriously think hula is based on ballet? Or African? Kabuki? Clogging? Belly dance? Give me a break. Ballet has only been around for a few hundred years.

If you take a GOOD jazz (or modern) class, you will learn ballet basics and terminology.
By MissErinDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 AM
panic wrote:

AAAA RRRR GGGG HHHH !!!!

BALLET IS NOT THE FREAKING ROOT TO ALL STYLES OF FREAKING DANCE!!!

What he said. =P Jazz will help in ballet in terms of your strength and cardio endurance, not necessarily technique. Most beginner ballet classes don't offer a lot in terms of cardio work.
By dncrgirl825member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:11 AM
More likely ballet will help your jazz. Jazz is pretty much a less strict more relaxed form of ballet. Many jazz steps are taken from ballet- so that technique is helpful. But some things are done differently like pirouettes and many other things.

So it will go both ways- but ballet will help jazz more than jazz ballet.
By Laura3241
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:19 AM
I recently started jazz because i already did ballet and tap and found that I picked it up easily beacause of ballet.
I would agree with everyone else and say that ballet helps with jazz,.

xx
By Twillight_rose
On Sat May 02, 2009 05:56 PM
Im new here and also to dance however i have taken jazz and it helps prepare you for the cardio demand that ballet can have. During one semester i couldnt handle ballet i wasnt conditoned correctly and jazz showed me how to better conditon myself for the physical demands, and from what ive learned diversity in different dance styles will help you as a dancer, a person and a performer.
By balletnumb3r1
On Sun May 03, 2009 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it and I will do jazz and continue with ballet
By misskbb
On Mon Jun 15, 2009 07:26 PM
Yes I def started in jazz and recently did an intermediate ballet class and it was super easy. so yes it does help :D
By T_Dance_Girl
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 07:24 PM
It will help you get more strength so you can do some of you ballet steps better if thats what you mean.
By Spotlightbabe
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 08:11 AM
it's a bit of both really. Ballet will help with your jazz technique and jazz will help with your stamina and confidence for ballet. xx

ReplySendWatch