Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Advice / Secrets PG-13

Secrets PG-13
When you donate blood, do they test your blood for cancer? en>fr fr>en
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 26326, member since Fri Aug 03, 2001
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 09:55 PM

This is kind of a hypochondriac post, I guess. But two weeks ago I donated blood and I know that they have to test your blood for things like HIV, hepatitis, and other stuff. But I was wondering, do they check for cancer too? Basically, I don't have medical insurance for the time being, and don't know when I will have it again, and I've always been covered in moles (the "beauty mark" kind), and lately I've been worried about skin cancer, plus one of my moles looks kind of pinkish instead of the usual brown. I only noticed it a couple days ago, but since I don't have the money or the insurance for a skin cancer screening, do you think the people at the Red Cross who test my blood would test it for cancer as part of the routine? I know this might sound paranoid of me, but I kind of want to know. Does anyone know?

8 Replies to When you donate blood, do they test your blood for cancer?

re: When you donate blood, do they test your blood for cancer? en>fr fr>en
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8456, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 PM
The test your hemoglobin and cell count, and if you have cancer, your cell count will be off. My father has had cancer twice, but the first time he actually found out because he had tried to donate blood. He had gone to several doctors and had been misdiagnosed until the blood service rejected his blood and told him to see an Oncologist ASAP.
By emilytheprincess Comments: 1208, member since Thu Jan 12, 2006
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 PM
^I didn't know that. I thought skin cancer could just be a cancerous mass without reaching the blood.

I'm a hypochondriac, but skin cancer runs in my family, so if it were me that noticed a changing mole, I would scrape up the money to go to the dermatologist and get checked. Your bills will be a lot bigger if you DID have something going on. Better safe than sorry.
By punkgirl59 Comments: 4800, member since Wed Feb 13, 2002
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:08 PM
They can't just test your blood for cancer. Blood tests can rarely detect the absence or presence of cancer. They can tell your doctor if something may be off so they can look into what may be wrong, but hardly any cancers can be detected with a blood test alone (the only one I can think of is obviously blood cancers, leukemia, lymphomas, etc.)

They would not be able to detect skin cancer purely off of a blood test. If anything looked suspicous, they would do a biopsy. If you're worried about a changing mole, definitely go get it checked out by a GP or Dermatologist.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By Polestar Comments: 427, member since Sun Mar 16, 2008
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 03:25 AM
I am not sure about cancer, but they definitely test it for HIV
By DragonFlyPremium member Comments: 1079, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 06:47 AM
you NEED to find money to get the changing mole looked it. It's just so important.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25785, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 07:57 AM
Actually, pink moles are less of a concern than really dark brown, almost black moles. I've had two biopsies for melanoma and both moles were small and dark. If you're concerned, you need to see a doctor and get them checked. If it's showing up in your blood, it means that it's already gone into your lymphatic system.
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 09:15 AM
So, the answer to whether or not they can give you a diagnosis on the state of your mole through a blood donation is no.

You should definitely see your friendly doctor sooner rather than later if you notice anything unusual about a mole, such as a change in colour or shape.

True, much of the time it'll be nothing to worry about, BUT, I want to commend you on being aware of your moles and watching for anything suspicious. I've asked my doctor about more than one mole in the past few years, and although they're perfectly normal, my doctor always says that it's better safe than sorry and good that I take note of these things.

You really ought to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can afford it, because while it could be nothing, if it's *something* at all, then it'll cost you less in the long run to catch it early.

Best of luck with it.
By DragonFlyPremium member Comments: 1079, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Thu Apr 30, 2009 06:29 AM
^^ even if a pink mole is aparently less concerning, its the CHANGING of the moles that indicate potential problems.

ReplySendWatch