Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: How to Select the Colors Most Flattering to You: A Guide for Irish Dress Makers and Buyers
By Celtic_Princess_ Comments: 2, member since Wed Mar 16, 2011
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 08:33 PM
Please help!! I can't figure out what catagory I'm in!! I have fairly light skin, honey blonde/ Carmel blonde/ strawberry blonde (i have natrual highlights so it changes in the sun,) and my eyes.. Well they change color!! Somtimes steel blue,or gray blue, green blueish gray(?), and green it's driveing me crazzy!! I think I look good in blue, aqua, teal, pink, green, black and light blue.
re: How to Select the Colors Most Flattering to You: A Guide for Irish Dress Makers and Buyers
By Realtreble Comments: 2094, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Wed Mar 16, 2011 08:59 PM
I am willing to bet you are either a B or a C. The only way to know for certain is to go through the draping process. Remove all your makeup, cover you hair if it is not its natural color. Then drape with the black/dark (chocolate) brown and the silver/gold. Please use natural light, if at all possible. If you look good in the black and silver, you are a B. If you look better in brown/golds, you are a C. Please let me know what you discover.
By Celtic_Princess_ Comments: 2, member since Wed Mar 16, 2011
On Sat Mar 19, 2011 09:46 PM
Thanks soo much! This was really helpfull!
By brownbart5 Comments: 31, member since Wed Jan 19, 2011
On Fri Jul 22, 2011 02:11 PM
Thanks for the helpful inforamtion. It gave us a place to tart creating a new dress.
By annarose123 Comments: 17, member since Tue Sep 06, 2011
On Tue Sep 06, 2011 01:21 PM
this is so helpful. luckily the colors i have chosen for my new dress match my group! (thank god) so glad i read this before it was final thanks for the help!!!
On Tue Sep 06, 2011 02:15 PM
Happy to help. I'm sending you wishes for your great dancing success in your new dress.
By jox Comments: 22, member since Sat Oct 29, 2011
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 02:54 PM
Am finding it hard to decide on design for my daughters new dress
On Mon Nov 07, 2011 09:36 AM
Are you having trouble with the overall design or the color choices?
By Angelekenna Comments: 20, member since Mon Nov 14, 2011
On Tue Nov 15, 2011 01:44 PM
Great post! This will really help me decide my next colors. :)
By iRockUrPoodleSoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Sat May 28, 2011
On Thu Dec 22, 2011 05:46 PM
Thanks for the post! It's really great! (:

I was wondering what I would be... I have very blue eyes, the color of the sea, (: and dirty blonde hair, which is the color my wig is. My skin is light, too.

I think I'm in group B, but I'm just wondering.

Again, thanks for the post!!
On Thu Dec 22, 2011 06:51 PM
Without seeing you in a photo taken in natural light, I wouldn't try to guess. I can tell you, that draping in black, brown, silver and gold will tell you a lot about the best colors quickly. Also, look at the color of your skin on the underside of your wrist, where you rarely tan and is very translucent.
By iRockUrPoodleSoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Sat May 28, 2011
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 08:29 AM
Okay, thanks!
By Meg3 Comments: 9, member since Thu Feb 10, 2011
On Wed Feb 15, 2012 03:19 AM
I have just read your article on choosing colours. It has helped enormously and has shown me where I went wrong with my last dress. Many thanks
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 07:30 AM
I'm so happy you found the information useful. Out of curiosity, which color(s) have you selected for you newest dress and which colors did you eliminate that were on your previous dress?
By dub Comments: 31, member since Wed Sep 14, 2011
On Thu May 03, 2012 07:21 AM
not quite sure what palette my daugther falls into she is typical irish dark brown hair and very pale skin
On Thu May 03, 2012 07:45 AM
When in doubt, fabric draping will truly help you with colors. At minimum, this technique will help you eliminate 2 of the groups, either A/B or C/D.

Once you've eliminated 2 of the groups, you can focus on the subtle differences between the 2 remaining choices. Group A has a pink undertone to the skin, while Group B has a blue/pink base. Group C's skin/hair tones are golden-yellow based. Group D has golden-peach tones. If you are having trouble, enlist the help of your most artistic acquaintance. Most artistic people have a good, natural eye for colors. Make sure any evaluation is done in natural light.

By the way, I feel your frustration. My dd is the most difficult for me to evaluate, too!
By manymacs Comments: 13, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Sun May 13, 2012 11:07 AM
I hava a friend who wants to start a dressmaking business and this will help her with the dresses for my daughters. So thank you for taking the time to write this out for us!
By Jupey Comments: 85, member since Thu Sep 08, 2011
On Fri Jul 13, 2012 01:58 PM
Wow! This is actually true. All of my solo dresses have been those colors. It's kind of like season color testing.
By Ceilimom2 Comments: 53, member since Fri Oct 28, 2011
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:35 PM
This is great information. The whole process can be so puzzling, and such a large purchase, you want to look the best you can!
By marie26 Comments: 22, member since Tue May 14, 2013
On Mon May 20, 2013 09:17 PM
Thank you so much! Purple and white are the perfect dress colors for me!
On Mon Jun 23, 2014 04:27 PM
I just discovered another, very nice book on the subject of personal color selection, Life in Color by Jesse Garza and Joe Lupo. It covers lots of theory as well as offering suggestions on color typing. The illustrations are colorful and numerous. I found my copy at a Scholastic Books sale.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch