Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

help with stretch
By learning
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:28 AM

I've been practicing Hatha and Ahstanga yoga (primary and secondary series) for about two years now. I have also taken up ballet class (adult beginner)and have been attending one to two classes for about three months. My flexibility level is very good however I cannot seem to master the side split. I've never been injured and I do not have any illness or disability that would limit range of motion. I have never had so much difficulty with mastering the physical aspects of a yoga asana before. Any suggestions?

4 Replies to help with stretch

re: help with stretch
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:41 AM
Splits are all about practice. You have to stretch for splits pretty much everyday, and it never hurts to do it more than once a day as long as you aren't over-exerting yourself.

Do you have any type of stretching that you do outside of ballet and yoga?
By learning
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 AM
Yes,
I practice Yoga three times per week and then there is dance class. On the days that I am off, I practice basic stretching of the lower body using seated forward bends (I can put by chest on my knees), half splits, a pose called legs up the wall, and I continue to try the side split using a towel or yoga strap to position the legs as far out to the sides as possible. I will practice these on my own approximatley 3 times per week.
By veganwarriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 10, 2009 03:53 PM
Are you really close? If you seem to be progressing keep working. I have trouble with my side splits too. My hips don't open up very well at all, and it will defintely take me awhile. It is just the way my hips were designed. You might be like that too. Some people have said it took them 8 years to get their side splits. I doubt it will take you that long, and all you can really do is stretch. =)
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:43 AM
Some of this is genetic and the structure of your hips. Not everyone is physically capable of doing side splits. You can't change the structure of your hips through stretching ;)

Also you can only gain a few degrees at best in hip ROM, after you have gotten past any muscle tightness. The ligaments that hold and help control the rotation and movement of the hip joint can only be stretched a degree or two. So if you have tight ligaments you just have to accept your bodies limitations.

ReplySendWatch