Forum: Folk / Flamenco

Flamenco
How do you clean your costumes?
By nevroth Comments: 1238, member since Fri Nov 21, 2003
On Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:48 AM

So in my attempt to keep this board alive, I have a general question: How do you clean your costumes?

For mantones and picos I handwash them. I have two skirts from Main Street and I just toss those in the washer. For a big show in the beginning of April I sewed two skirts, but didn't have time to put any ruffles on them, and was so pooped that I left them alone to work on other things. Well today I had a show and handwashed one of the skirts I sewed, but I realized that when I put ruffles on them it's going to be a pain, plus what if it wrinkles when it dries? How am I going to iron wrinkles from RUFFLES?! lol. Thankfully because of the type of material I used the skirt dried practically wrinkle free, but I wonder how other people combat this 'wrinkle terror.'

Especially in feria dresses, where they are made from cotton which is prone to wrinkling. How do they do it? How do you do it?

Anywho, just curious... :)

1 Replies to How do you clean your costumes?

re: How do you clean your costumes?
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:26 AM
Wrinked ruffle thing - I'm going to adapt a line I heard from belly dance. "Learn to dance, learn to love ironing". That is all. :(

I have heard of some wrinkle-resistant spray stuff they sell in the US, but never seen it myself. I otherwise avoid washing my performance skirts as much as possible and ALWAYS hang them properly. Try not to squish the skirts too close together in your wardrobe too, because the drapes will squish together, flattening some of the ruffles.

ReplySendWatch