Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Advice / Beauty

Beauty
how to get rid of a permanent middle hair part.... en>fr fr>en
By Mysticalldancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 678, member since Thu Feb 05, 2004
On Sat Apr 25, 2009 01:00 AM

ok so i'm asking this question on behalf of a friend....she wants to start doing her hair again, but she used to part it in the middle for so long that her hair automatically just parts there now on its own. what can she do so that it doesn't do that?

11 Replies to how to get rid of a permanent middle hair part....

re: how to get rid of a permanent middle hair part.... en>fr fr>en
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Sat Apr 25, 2009 04:58 AM
Hmm, sometimes one's hair just naturally parts down the middle - which is most convenient if you want a middle part, but makes it a little harder if you want something else.

My hair naturally parts down the middle, but for the past year or so, I've been parting it slightly to the side. At first, it'd go straight back to the middle after a few minutes, but I have found that by parting it at the side and pinning it down as soon as I get out of the shower (so that it dries parted to the side), it has got used to being on the side. These days, I really don't have to do anything to coax it to stay this way, though I think if I didn't keep it neatly in its side part, it would go back to the middle after a little while.

I also have a stupid kinky bit where my parting goes all crooked toward the back of my head. It looks silly, but I have never ever been able to train it to do anything else. This I have to pin down every time I was my hair - and even then it doesn't fix it... it only helps.

So where am I going with all this ranting and raving? Well, I think that it depends on what your friend is hoping to achieve. If she wants to part her hair on the side or something, then I think this could be done fairly easily by pinning it when she gets out of the shower. If, on the other hand, she's hoping to have no parting at all, then she may be less lucky as generally hair that is really willing to part is not likely to want to not part, if that makes sense.

In short: tell her to pin it when she gets out of the shower. It'll either work or it won't, I guess.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10290, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sat Apr 25, 2009 05:55 AM
A couple of years ago, I switched from middle to side part. I found that the best way was to part it while wet and then blast with the hairdryer to keep it there. It might take a few weeks to force it there, but hopefully it should behave eventually.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2530, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 02:06 PM
Bobby pins will be your best friend.

Usually, when I first started having a side part, I had to train my hair to lay which way I wanted it to.

I parted it where I wanted it after my shower and bobby pinned it or clipped it so it stayed that way. It's best to do this at night.

This could help it, too.

When you have your hair pinned, use your blow dryer and try your hair the way you want it to go. After a while, your hair will get used to how you want it and train it's self to stay that way.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 02:55 PM
Mine is naturally down the middle. I have an uneven hair line due to obsessively pulling my hair out when I have anxiety (trichotillomania). So the best way to hide it was parting on the side.
Basically just blow dry it the way you want and bobby pin it over. Kinda train your hair. Also, I wash my hair at night so I would part it, the braid it like normal to it retained the part through the night.
Just definitely decide which side you want and make it even.
By iDancer518member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 884, member since Mon Jun 08, 2009
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 03:27 PM
Your friend should try blow-drying it to the side. It'll usually helps. The hair is going to be stubborn so your friend has to keep doing it but eventually your hair will get used to be parted on the side.
By AlinWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 714, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 08:28 PM
I trained it first, then eventually I could just leave it and it would lay that way.
It gives you a lot more volume if you switch it every couple months or so. :)
By lee_britt Comments: 2071, member since Mon Aug 29, 2005
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:06 PM
Wow, I guess I must be lucky... I just part my hair however I feel like that day and it stays. I switch it up a lot lol.
By Eilirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 328, member since Mon Feb 11, 2008
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:36 PM
Your hair probably grows in a specific direction, and if you train it to stay on one side for long enough, chances are it'll start to grwo in that direction instead. Wash it, put it to the right place, and make sure it stays that way until its dry - however you want to do that. Pin it down and let it dry naturally, blowdry it immediately, whatever.

After a while it works - mine was moved by the hairdresser, so when i got home, it was side parted. Next time I washed it, I combed it to the one side and made everything stay how I wanted it for that style, and it was fine. I guess it must depend on your hair :/

Btw, I don't know for sure that your hair grows like this, but just thinking about it, it makes sense, so even if its not right, it must have some merit, cause its pretty logical?
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:42 PM
Pretty much like everyone said-you have to train it to go a certain way. The best thing I have found to do is to use bobby pins(which has been suggested) and to blow dry your hair with the part in it if you have a certain style in mind.

Rather than pinning I have also used the side part in a ponytail to help train my hair. I wear my hair back alot, and I part it on the side and pull it in to a pretty tight ponytail. The pull as well as the product has pretty much trained it to go that way.
By hazelrah Comments: 23, member since Sun Jun 21, 2009
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 01:29 PM
I've got a natural middle part and thought it was hopeless too!

Like everyone else said, parting your hair when wet is really effective. Comb hair straight back when wet, then draw the side (or whatever) part. I found that a smaller tooth comb works the best (not super wide, but not the really small size either). Blast that with a dryer and eventually the hair will get trained.

I've also heard that parting hair in the shower and letting the water beat down on it is effective for cowlicks and training hair as well.
By odette827member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 454, member since Tue Mar 01, 2005
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 05:05 PM
When I started side parting, and also when I was training side bangs, I always just part it how I want BEFORE my shower, then wash and condition it with that part in. I've never had any problems and my bangs were trained very quickly.

Also, if your friend is still struggling, instead of having a side part that goes straight back, angle it so it starts on the side then ends up in the middle at the crown of her head. Then there's not as much training to be done. This also keeps the sides of your head a little more even as to how much hair falls on each side of the part.

-Linda

ReplySendWatch