Forum: General / Ballroom / Swing

Swing
Too bad more songs were not partner dances.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 04:33 PM
Edited by Rainbws_Watrflls (197101) on 2009-04-26 16:34:38

For the single folks out there who don't necessarily like being paired up with strange people to dance, it would kinda be nice if some more songs were more suitable to the single folks.

If I were to get up there and dance how I dance in the midst of all the partner dancers, people would be shocked and horrified because I know how to dirty dance to a lot of the songs, and that does not require a partner. LOL!

Now what is amazingly funny is did you know you can do the "Boot Scootin' Boogie" to any song? Yep. Try it sometime and see. HEHE

4 Replies to Too bad more songs were not partner dances.

re: Too bad more songs were not partner dances.
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:49 AM
Don't take this the wrong way...but the type of Swing dancing class I teach is specifically partner dancing. I don't get up on the stage to teach singles dancing, that's not what we advertise or do. We play a wide range of music and while we'd never stop anyone dancing by themselves we wouldn't cater specifically to singles. Just trying to give you perspective from the point of view of running a swing dancing class and venue.

That said glad you're enjoying it...
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Wed Apr 29, 2009 06:11 PM
The group I belong to actually teaches lessons for half hour and they go around in a circle with the ladies so that they get all different kinds of partners. It's more of a warmer-upper I believe. But they work on moves. I do not take the lessons though, I mostly watch.

Then for 2 hours after the lessons is a general dance where people will pick people to dance with.

It's a good variety of experience for everyone involved.
By Malaikamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1923, member since Thu Jul 11, 2002
On Sat May 02, 2009 05:45 PM
There are actually a bunch of "swing line dances" that you can learn to do if they play them at your swing venue. The Shim Sham comes to mind - probably the easiest and the one the most people know. We play it a lot where I go out dancing.
This video, with Frankie Manning, is a good one to watch and see what you can pick up.

You should try the partner class before the dance sometime. Everyone's new, everyone's friendly, and if you're hanging out there already, you've probably picked some stuff up and would be set to start dancing!
On Mon May 18, 2009 10:01 PM
Shim-Sham is a very hard dance to learn. I tried. Well, I can't go swing dancing anymore right now anyway because my social anxiety is much much worse. Being anywhere near a crowd of people terrifies me to death. I will still support my local group, however, I cannot attend the dances any longer and they know this.

Such as life. I'd rather sit home anyway. At least I know I'm safe there.

ReplySendWatch