Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Went to my dad's car show today!
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 02, 2009 10:52 PM

That's his baby - a 1955 Chevy named Ima. He won 2nd place in his division! Ima has won an award in each of the seven car shows she's been in and has never received below second. My dad took about three years to restore her himself. When he bought her, she couldn't run, was a dull chocolate brown color and had a velvet interior! Now she rumbles so loud she sets off car alarms, she's a gorgeous turquoise blue and she has a lovely black leather interior :) Oh, and that's my sis next to her.

There is a lawyer in our town who brought his fleet of vehicles to the show. It's truly ridiculous how many he owns. Among his cars:
Image hotlink - 'http://i42.tinypic.com/bj99wm.jpg'
Lamborghini Mercielago

Image hotlink - 'http://i41.tinypic.com/24n3b76.jpg'
Lamborghini Gellardo

Image hotlink - 'http://i41.tinypic.com/ngabyp.jpg'
Aston Martin Vanquish

Image hotlink - 'http://i43.tinypic.com/4rrgnp.jpg'
Ferrari Scagleitti

Image hotlink - 'http://i39.tinypic.com/2qnqnly.jpg'
Mercedes McLaren

He also has a Bentley Azure, Spyker C8, a Ford GT, and a Ferrari 360 Spider. Just mind-blowing!

These are vehicles owned by one of the local tanning salons:
Image hotlink - 'http://i41.tinypic.com/2zgz3eu.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://i39.tinypic.com/eb1vl2.jpg'

There were HUNDREDS of cars there, but I won't post them all lol. New, old, fancy, and very fancy hahah. Tell me what you think!

12 Replies to Went to my dad's car show today!

re: Went to my dad's car show today!
By rowingj
On Sun May 03, 2009 12:42 AM
Nice! My Dad has a '79 Malibu and my brother has an '80 Malibu. Both have done a lot of work on them - Dad just "shows" his - it's orange and nicknamed "The Punkin," my mom has a black and orange tote bag to bring her stuff to shows when she goes with him! My brother has souped his up for drag racing (quarter mile straight track), is a pale yellow, and called "The Yellow Bird" (yeah, my family's pretty straightforward with the naming). He has ear plugs in his glove box, I imagine your Dad's truck sounds similar!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 03, 2009 10:50 AM
Elizabeth,

That top photo is really HAWT...and so is your dad's truck :P

[Oh, I guess I'm supposed to be looking at the blue truck, not Emily.]

Jon
On Sun May 03, 2009 02:35 PM
Lol Jon if I didn't know you so well, I'd say you were a creepy old man! ;) I miss our facebook chats!

Elizabeth
By XxKacixX
On Sun May 03, 2009 02:42 PM
Loving the turquoise car!!

As for the rest,wow!!

Some pretty cool cars, ahh if only!!

Ruth
xxx
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 03, 2009 02:53 PM
I love your dads car...

That lawyer guy, dang, how many overpriced cars does one person need? Ok maybe not overpriced, but it still is excessive to me.

Next time he feels the need to invest in a new car, I think he sould give me that money instead.
By gobbygibbo
On Mon May 04, 2009 05:15 PM
WOW them cars are fierce!
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 02:08 PM
Do Americans not put numberplates on the front of their cars as well as the back??
By freestysteffmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 06, 2009 02:35 PM
Loving the turquoise car aswell. im obsessed with that colour. Im so jealous i really want that car lol!
On Wed May 06, 2009 03:28 PM
Edited by high_kick_qt (179575) on 2009-05-06 15:30:49 fixed me grammar :)
Emma - for awhile it was required to have plates on both the front and the back, but now it is no longer required. Some cars do have both, but it's not mandatory.

And thanks everyone! I'm glad y'all love his truck as much as I do!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 03:50 PM
^Emma, it varies from state to state. All drivers and car licensing is done by state. The only national licenses are on U.S. Government owned cars and some military vehicles like Generals' staff cars. When I went to Government meetings in Washington itself (I worked 20 mile outside Washington) I would sign out a car from the motor pool and it would have U.S. Gov't tags. (License plates are often called "Tags".)

Most states require front and back license plates (all of them in this area do) some do not. It's up to each state to decide.
Both my cars have them front and back.

Another thing we also have.. in many states you can get a "Vanity" tag in which you can put anything on your plate up to seven or eight letters (varies by state). Some people put their name, but you cannot duplicate any other tag. Some people will put cryptic stuff to see if anyone can guess the meaning. For example one I've seen was "DIVBY0" That turned out to mean
"Divide by Zero" and the answer to dividing by zero in math is infinity, and the car this plate was on was an Infinity (a brand of luxury car.)

My wife's car has an ordinary license plate, but my car carries my Amateur Radio Callsign, W3JT, my FCC issued call. (This is also a bit of a vanity in that my call suffix is also my initials. They are normally issued in alphabetic sequence. The "W" means I am in the USA (Canada is VE, Great Britain (England actually) is "G". Every country has a unique prefix. In the US, the numerical field means the area where you live when you got that callsign. The "3" means I got that call while living in Pennsylvania, Maryland (where I do live), Delaware or the District of Columbia. I got my intitals as my suffix because I had been licences for 20 years at the time and held the highest class of license...and...nobody beat me to it.

There are also special licenses for club members (Masons, Elks, etc. college Alumni, Military Awards such as the Purple Heart (a medal given to American service personnel wounded in combat) and on and on.

Each state has a unique color design and many have optional designs.

They charge extra for anything but the basic license which in my state is about $40/ year for my car.

It is typically American that we take a fundamentally simple idea and make it quite complicated.

Other than some military, we have no national system of drivers licensing. Each state has its own authority and testing schemes.

Jon
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 06:43 PM
So you have to pay to have fancy stuff on your number plate?? Wow.

Here, you just get what you're given, but you can buy registration numbers, although they now have to be assigned to a car to be considered valid, even if the car is un-taxed or road-worthy.

My dad bought a personal one - A4 RPB Because his name's Richard Patrick B£$%^ and the A4 because of the format registration numbers have to have!

My mum has one that she's kept from a previous car that she bought second hand. It's unusual because it's only got 3 numbers.

Standard formatting is ABC 1234, here in northern Ireland. In the rest of the UK, they've changed it, and licenses are now done by year. ie AB09 1234.

There's a coding system according to what county you're from. So, in NI (ABC 1234), we have the county Tyrone, which is JI so my mum's numberplate is JI, which is the BC, the numbers go from 1000 to 9999, and when AJI reached 9999, it moved to BJI 1000. My mum's number was first registered to a car when numbers went from 100 to 999, there's not many on the road with 3 numbers now, so they're becoming more expensive.

In Southern Ireland, as they have a different governing body and a different licensing system, they do their's differently too.

D-09-123456 The letter stands for the county, so D is Dublin, WX is Wexford, MO is Mayo, DL is Donegal, then 09 would mean it was registered this year, and the numbers can be 1 to 6 digits, just depending on if you registered in January or November.

Irish plates also have to have hyphens in them, and the registering county's full Irish name printed on it. So Dublin would have Baile Atha Cliath, and Donegal would have Dun na nGall.

I think it's only complicated if you don't take the time to learn the system, because reading what I've written, as a 'brief introduction' I'd be confused. Although yours seems much more unnecessary.
On Wed May 06, 2009 07:20 PM
Man Jon, you're totally right. I didn't stop to think about front/back license plates would be different state to state, but I guess I should've, since your driver's license is a state by state thing. Duh Elizabeth!

ReplySendWatch