Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

rawr - the first car forum rant
By Sumayah
On Sun May 03, 2009 02:37 PM

So, remember the thread about my car sometime back? Wouldn't start, got it fixed. Guess what? It won't start again.

Now this time it's definitely not the security system (no light) but it's also not turning on. No noise whatsoever. My battery is still brand spanking new and the A/C, radio, and lights all come on fine so it's not the battery.

I took my dad to the airport (a good 2 hour round trip and we stopped for lunch too) stopped and picked my mom up some Chinese food, stopped at a fast food place to get my hubby a soda and some ice cream (turned my car off at both locations) and I get home, turn off the car, run the hubby his drink and ice cream go to get back in my car and.... nothing. It's not even trying to turn over, just nothing.

Rawr. I mean it's not like we've got the $200 to get it towed to town again. Not mention whatever is wrong with it this time. I really, really don't need this kind of stress right now, not at recital time. Especially since our recital got screwed over by the SFlu (they shut down the facility) so now it's all stressful and crazy like anyway. I'm not happy. I'm really not happy.

6 Replies to rawr - the first car forum rant

re: rawr - the first car forum rant
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun May 03, 2009 03:17 PM
It might be something simple. Maybe you need new battery cables. If you aren't getting a good connection, it won't start. Do your lights go off when you try to start it?

kk~
By Sumayah
On Sun May 03, 2009 04:52 PM
Nope the connection is good. Argh. I hate my car. It was low on oil and I added more in, but if the car didn't have enough oil it wouldn't just run fine and then not run at all, wouldn't it do horrible things? I do have a slow oil leak so I try to keep extra oil on hand, did I let it get too far before adding more? I'm really hoping it's not something stupid like I should have added more oil yesterday and it'd be fine today. :( I really hate my car.
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 03, 2009 06:57 PM
I just read your previous thread. Same darn thing with passlock kept happening to me. I manged to get my passlock disabled for a small fee, and luckily my tow was covered by my roadside assistance. I kept getting stuck places, and if I left the key in for 10 min it would sometimes work...but then one day...nothing.

Apparently this is rediculously common. :( I havnt had a problem since but within the last week everytime I open a door the alarm goes off lol. Nice. Atleast it will still start.

Im currently waiting to hear back from a guy selling a '08 Civic with amazing low mileage. If that works out my lovely GM car will meet an untimely end. I plan on kicking it to death.

So, no advice to give, just wanted to let you know youre not alone :) I hate my car too hehe.
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon May 04, 2009 10:46 AM
I was hoping Dangslow or Jon would come comment on this.

The oil thing.... if you ran it without oil, that can cause severe engine damage, such as a cracked block. But, that's kind of worse case scenario, so don't panic yet. How is it doing today?

kk~
By Sumayah
On Mon May 11, 2009 08:36 AM
It starts!!

But I can't drive it yet. The starter is sticking and though tapping on it got it to work, it needs replacing. So I'm still carless for the moment but at least I know it's not the engine or something serious - a bad starter I can deal with. And I think just to ease my fears I'll get it in for an oil change this week. It about time and since it was so low on oil, I'd rather they just change it out completely.
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 11, 2009 09:29 AM
If you can remove the starter, you can usually have it checked for free. If you are lucky it will just be the starter solenoid. If you start the car and the solenoid remains engaged, it will whine like mad. Tapping the solenoid will make it retract. With a fresh battery, your symptoms could be as simple as loose wire connections, or it could be the alternator (which can also be checked for free).
I like to choose the cheapest route first, so I would suggest wiggling all the little wires to make sure they are tight, and push all the plugs to make sure they are fully seated.

ReplySendWatch