Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Renewing a Learner's Permit
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 03, 2009 07:11 PM

Alright, I know I'm way behind :(

In Texas, does anyone know the procedure for renewing a learner's permit? I got my permit in August of '07, and I turned 18 in January of '09, thus expriring my learner's permit. I've looked online and all I can find is information about renewing drivers liscences. I'm going to get my liscense this summer, but in order to practice, I need to drive with a liscensed adult (you know the story...) in the front seat LEGALLY, with a permit.

Thanks for any help.

-Kerplooey

13 Replies to Renewing a Learner's Permit

re: Renewing a Learner's Permit
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 03, 2009 07:14 PM
I would assume that you would just have to re-do the test again and get it that way.

I know it's like that here, once it expires you start from scratch.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 04, 2009 03:28 PM
Mine expired and I just had to go take the written test again. Wasn't too bad. :)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 04, 2009 03:51 PM
Not from Texas but in Oklahoma it's the same as renewing a license. You don't have to redo anything...
By forgetxmexnot
On Mon May 04, 2009 04:31 PM
I only got my learners last summer, and my god, if I had to take that first written test again I'd fail. With that said, I'm pretty sure in Michigan you just bring all of your information proving who you are (social security card, birth certificate, blah blah blah) and you can renew it.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 04, 2009 05:24 PM
I'm from TX and got my permit well after turning 18, but I didn't renew. I'm pretty sure you just go to the DPS and take the test over again.

Incidentally...what were you doing for 2 years that you're still not ready to take the test? Now that you're over 18 you'll have to take a driving test with a DPS agent, which is a lot more nerve wracking then having Mom and Dad pass you.

Dani
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 04, 2009 05:48 PM
Wait - your drivers don't get tested by the road authority?

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Mon May 04, 2009 06:06 PM
In Texas, if you're under 18 you can either take a driving course at a local driving school in which you have a driving instructor take you out for practice runs. After you've completed all the requirements, the instructor can pass you and you go to the DPS with that permission and get your DL. There's also the option of home education. You have to buy a "Driver's Ed in a Box" course and then your parents test you, take you out on the mandated practice hours, and then after you've completed the course requirements satisfactorily, they sign your permission slip and you go to get your DL.

I was over 18 when I got my DL, so I had to take the test with a DPS agent (sounds equivalent to your road authority, Erin).

Dani
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 05, 2009 09:35 AM
It's amazing how things differ from place to place.

Here in Ontario we have a graduated licencing system. You get your learners (written test)... if you take driving lessons you can fast track and in 8 months you can do your road test for your G2 (there are certain restrictions), or in 12 if you don't take lessons, than a year later you take another road test for your G (full licence).

Basically you have 5 years from start to finish to get your G, but I know that my fiance didn't get his G in that time frame and pretty much had to start from scratch.
By MJeanette
On Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 AM
In Arkansas, a permit only lasts six months. You can renew it once, but to renew it a second time, you have to take the test over again. I've technically had a permit for almost two years now, but I have to just keep renewing it over and over again instead of getting to take the test and get my liscense already, because I hardly ever actually get to drive. It's fusturating.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 05, 2009 10:20 AM
Edited by DancingDiva736 (186988) on 2009-05-05 10:20:44 add
It is different in every state. We have mandatory drivers training classes, and there are two levels you have to complete before you can take the road test. In Michigan, we do have a law however that if you are over the age of 18, you can get your license without taking drivers education. Even though they strongly recommend it, once you turn 18 you don't have to. You basically take the knowledge test, you have 30 days of a permit, and then you can get your license once you pass the road test.

My suggestion will be to check with your local secretary of state office, or department of transportation(motor vehicles) to see what is needed. Your requirements may have changed now that you are 18.
By kandykanePremium member
On Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2009-05-05 10:30:37
I'm in Texas. You're gonna love this...

Since you have turned 18, all you have to do is go to the driver's license office, pay a fee, get your picture snapped and they will GIVE you your driver's license. You might have to take the written test, I can't remember. But no driving test with a DPS officer. they don't do that anymore to get your license. Yep. At 18, you no longer have to complete the driver training program. This happened to my son.

You, of course, still need practice to be a good driver, but the state doesn't care about that, apparently.

kk~
On Tue May 05, 2009 10:42 AM
^ Really, KK? I did it in Houston two or three years ago and I had to take the practical test with a DPS agent and all that. Have the laws changed?

Dani
By kandykanePremium member
On Tue May 05, 2009 10:46 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2009-05-05 10:47:21
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2009-05-05 10:49:00
^^ Two or three years ago? Really?

My son got his license in the summer of '05. No, the fall of '04. After dragging his feet through the training program. And yes, no driving test. We are close to Ft. Worth.

EDIT: Maybe since you were in Houston, there were some city laws that applied to your case.

kk~

ReplySendWatch