Forum: Arts / Religion

Obama not hosting a National Day of Prayer event
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 06:17 PM

www.usatoday.com . . .

President Obama has decided to issue a proclamation of the National Day of Prayer tomorrow rather than hold an observance event like predecessor Bush.

Thoughts?

21 Replies to Obama not hosting a National Day of Prayer event

re: Obama not hosting a National Day of Prayer event
By balletgirl4God
On Wed May 06, 2009 08:09 PM
Wow, I find that kind of strange that he would do that. I know our country needs a lot of prayer

Comment #8205123 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-05-06 20:17:40 double post

By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 08:11 PM
Bravo to him. This event has in recent years become a showcase for some pretty narrow religious agenda, to the point of exclusion of many views. He is the President of ALL Americans and he should be congratulated for not just catering to a few.

We had a Prayer Breakfast at my workplace some years ago which was supposed to be inclusive of all views. It was not and I walked out.

Jon
By KayEllePremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 09:06 PM
TBH I find it kind of odd that it's expected that he hold that kind of event in the first place. Separation of church and state? I don't know, maybe it's just because prayer to me is about the equivalent of mumbling to yourself but I don't get the big deal.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 PM
Good job Obama :)

It's not like he's the first president to just issue a proclamation. No biggie.
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 07, 2009 12:56 AM
Yay Obama!

I hope nobody gives him too much crap about this, I can see it causing chaos in the Religious Right =/

Separation of church and state for the win!
re: Obama not hosting a National Day of Prayer event (karma: 1)
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 07, 2009 10:12 AM
I've got several thoughts on this subject.

1.) While other presidents have hosted low-key events (such as Bush sr.'s breakfast or Clinton's park gathering), Dubya was the only president to ever have it as an "event" in the sense that there were speeches. It's a private event if anything, not a public event.

2.) If James Dobson had said the things about me that he said about Obama, I wouldn't want to pray with his wife either.

3.) Yes, our country needs prayer - but it also needs action. We can ask God to fix our nation until we're blue in the face but we still have to take action in some way.

4.) Obama is not responsible for the spiritual well-being of the people of America. He is not pastor-in-chief.

5.) Like Jon said, the event has turned into a right-wing Christians only monopoly which doesn't even acknowledge other traditions in Christianity, to say nothing of other religions. SO not cool.

6.) Didn't Jesus already say something about praying in public?

"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

-Matthew 6:5-6 RSV
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 07, 2009 04:26 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2009-05-07 16:35:35 took out my last sentence...don't want to preach...
I was listening to a Christian radio talk show today and they were going on and on about how it wasn't fair because Obama held a Seder for the Jews and is going to acknowledge Ramadan in the fall for the Muslims and but what abut the Christians, blah, blah, blah.

Totally annoyed, I turned the channel to a Christian music station and found myself immediately caught up in the passionate cries of a young man singing, "All I need is Your love..."

I was so struck by the beauty and simplicity of my faith! \o/ That "Christian" radio program was a total waste of time and a mis-use of the airwaves in terms of what a Christian's goal should be. Was anyone listening to that show learning about who Jesus was? NO!

Honestly, I can't stand listening to one more minute of politicized Christianity. I really don't care one whit about being "included" in government. Christians should not be concerned with their rights anyway. Not at all. Jesus didn't defend His rights and He is our model of behavior.

/end rant!

:)
By DayTripper_Premium member
On Thu May 07, 2009 05:31 PM
Thank God. (How ironic :))

Diana
By popergerm
On Fri May 08, 2009 12:56 AM
I think it says tons about his character and about his beliefs, he might go to church on sunday but he sure will not act like it on monday.

seperation of church and state went so far as keeping the government out of religion it was never ment to keep the views of religion, nor the moral principals of religion out of our government.

If you say you are christian and then not act like it with your actions you are putting a deception on about who you really are, like saying you are catholic, and then pretend not to be in your actions you are not being true to yourself nor to others.

If he says he is christian but is too afraid to stand up for it then I think that is all I need to know about how he stands on his faith. you might feel differant but this is how I FEEL ABOUT THE SUBJECT.
By KayEllePremium member
On Fri May 08, 2009 01:01 AM
seperation of church and state went so far as keeping the government out of religion it was never ment to keep the views of religion, nor the moral principals of religion out of our government.

Umm... yes it was, actually. Separation of church and state means that the government doesn't interfere in religion and religion doesn't interfere in the government. That's the point. You can't just have government stay out of churches but have churches all up in the government, that's not fair.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 08, 2009 04:39 PM
He is the President of the entire country... including all the atheists and agnostics in the country. Good on him for realizing that and not promoting his religion in a country that's not meant to favor one religion over any others (or no religion).

TBH I find it kind of odd that it's expected that he hold that kind of event in the first place. Separation of church and state? I don't know, maybe it's just because prayer to me is about the equivalent of mumbling to yourself but I don't get the big deal.

We have a Chaplain in the Congress that's an official government position. And I believe they open each session with a prayer... I'm not sure. There's a surprising amount of religion in the US government that probably shouldn't be there, but is kept around out of tradition.
By popergerm
On Fri May 15, 2009 11:06 PM
YOU do not keep religion out of politics, the moral code it provides is a good way to guage ones actions, and the founders were like it or not christian and deiest and made the bible required reading, jefferson even wrote his own version of the bible. SO it think its fair to say the founders did have religious practice in their politics.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 15, 2009 11:32 PM
Yeah, Thomas Jefferson re-wrote the bible because he thought it was completely wrong. He also hated organized religion. Here are a few quotes from TJ.

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies."

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own"

There are lots more. www.atheistempire.com . . .
By MaraschinoCherry
On Fri May 15, 2009 11:49 PM
KayElle wrote:

Separation of church and state means that the government doesn't interfere in religion and religion doesn't interfere in the government. That's the point. You can't just have government stay out of churches but have churches all up in the government, that's not fair.

Actually, if you look at the US constitution, it does only work one way. The first amendment of the Bill of Rights says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." Nothing is said in the constitution about keeping religion from influencing government, that would be abridging religious freedom. Many politicians are deeply religious, and it is not practical to expect them to leave their religion at the door. As long as one government religion is not established, religions are free to struggle for a balance of power and for influence in governmental decisions. Keeping government out of religion is much more important in terms of freedom than keeping religion out of government.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sat May 16, 2009 08:58 AM
Obama is not responsible for the spiritual well-being of the people of America. He is not pastor-in-chief.

BRAVO!!

I think it says tons about his character and about his beliefs, he might go to church on sunday but he sure will not act like it on monday.

I think it says a lot about his character and his beliefs also but interpret it completely differently. He doesn't need to grandstand or shove his beliefs down people's throats. He isn't trying to tell people his religious practices are what everyone else should practice. THAT takes guts to stick up to the religious conservatives in this country. To infer that you know anything about his faith or his relationship with God is really ignorant.

As for our founding father's views on religion in our government...perhaps you should do a little more research on that topic.

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." --- Benjamin Franklin, from "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion", Nov. 20, 1728

"But the Church of Rome having set up its new religion, which it called Christianity [but which in truth is Athanasianism/Constantinism], and invented the creed which it named the Apostles's Creed, in which it calls Jesus the only son of God, conceived by the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary; things of which it is impossible that man or woman can have any idea, and consequently no belief but in words; and for which there is no authority but the idle story of Joseph's dream in the first chapter of Matthew, which any designing imposter or foolish fanatic might make." - Thomas Paine

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" --- John Adams, letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose." --- Thomas Jefferson to Baron von Humboldt, 1813

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." --- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

As for George Washington:
Washington had the inestimable faculty of being able to say nothing. He said nothing about religion -- nothing very definite -- and as a deist was willing to let people think whatever they pleased. As he never discussed religion at all, and went to church only occasionally, he was considered by most people to be a quietly religious man. It was somewhat of a shock, therefore, to the people of Philadelphia, when the reverend Dr. Abercrombie, Washington's pastor, criticized him from the pulpit. He told him that as President, he should not belong to a church unless he could set a good example to others. He reminded Washington that he never took communion, and in short, that his example was bad. Washington listened to these reproaches in silence, and never went to that church again. His only comment was that he did not wish to annoy Dr. Abercrombie by his presence.
By popergerm
On Sat May 23, 2009 12:32 AM
However with all this you can not always take the quote at face value you have to look at the context of where it was said, and the history of the time to understand it fully, rule one of religious studies.
By Summer
On Sat May 23, 2009 08:35 AM
popergerm wrote:

However with all this you can not always take the quote at face value you have to look at the context of where it was said, and the history of the time to understand it fully, rule one of religious studies.

In which context, exactly, would the above-mentioned quotes point to these men being strictly religious? I'm not trying to be all smart, just wondering.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Tue May 26, 2009 02:22 PM

Well go look them up and see the full context. I gave you the information where you can look at the entire content and what was posted in magazines, newspapers, or letters that are now archived.

You are the one that brought up the founding father's religious thoughts and convictions...obviously you didn't know how some of them felt or what they might have practiced before making that statement.
By GypsieFreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 27, 2009 10:41 AM
Edited by CIsForChar (152616) on 2009-05-27 10:45:06 i cant type this morning. oye.
um, seperation of church and state anyone?
By dancin_til_death
On Thu May 28, 2009 05:42 AM
I know for many Christians converting others is a really cool thing to do... but does this actually work for you? Really? Doesn't this seem like force...

I believe in God, and I have to say that I was inspired by some Christians, but they never ever tried to force themselves upon me. Whenever that happened in the past, I literally would run the other way. I admire Obama's work as a Christian now more that he chose not to force his beliefs on others, but is instead living as the bible says.

I say that his inclusion of everyone who lives in America will actually inspire more people to believe, then only including strong Christians groups.

ReplySendWatch