Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Buying a new car, stupid worries...
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 06:43 PM

I'm picking up my 2009 Honda Civic Sport on Saturday.

I just typed on my msn name "Gonna be a good weekend!" and my boyfriend said I jinxed my weekend now.

Great. My superstitiousness has kicked in and now I am freaking out that my weekend is going to be bad and something is going to happen. UGH!

I hope my weekend is ok, I'm worried about driving my car home on the highway and afraid of dents, scratches, chips etc.

Just had to vent.

6 Replies to Buying a new car, stupid worries...

re: Buying a new car, stupid worries...
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 06, 2009 07:05 PM
My wife throws a penny into a car when she buys it. Even before she gets in it to drive it away, she tosses a penny in there and keeps it in there.

Seems silly I know, but she has had GREAT luck with cars!

Take a penny with you on Saturday!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 06, 2009 07:59 PM
I like the penny idea. Sailboaters do the same thing...they put a coin under the mast. Mine had two coins...one for the year the boat was built (1971) and one for the year I rehabilitated the boat and put it into commission again (1998).

Door dings are almost inevitable in parking lots, so get used to them. I already have a couple in my 2009 Camry bought last November. I had one friend who when he bought a new car would put a scratch (a very small one) himself. "It's gonna happen sooner or later, I might as well chose where the first one goes."

Good defensive driving, though is always better than superstition. Alway know what is around you. My dad, who was a pilot, taught me the aviators way to scan all about the vehicle so that I knew what was along side of me, what was coming up on me from each side of the rear (on multi-lane highways) and of course what was ahead of me. He taught me to constantly scan in a pattern ahead, rear mirror, left mirror, right mirror and to check the blind spots. Don't change lanes until you know that someone along side of you has passed you or you have passed him.
It has helped me well for in 51 years of driving I've only had one accident that was my fault (minor) and none of the 4-5 others were particularly serious; and, no moving violation tickets.

Jon
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 07, 2009 05:25 AM
I'm seriously going to do the penny thing.

But I'm going to look strange because the salesman is going to have me sit in the car so he can teach me every single button. So before I ever get in my new car I want that lucky penny in there. Do you just toss it in and let it land where ever? lol
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 07, 2009 06:52 AM
Two things:

1. Club lock.

2. Immobiliser.

They won't prevent you having an accident (believe me, everyone is nervous about driving a car they have just bought) but they will prevent theft.

Helen
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 07, 2009 08:37 AM
Well, she just tosses it in there so she can get going. Then later she puts it someplace in the car where it cant be removed, like under the carpet under the dash or someplace hidden. That way the luck stays in the car.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 07, 2009 08:47 AM
I epoxied the coins under the boat mast. They ain't going anywhere.

Jon

ReplySendWatch