Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

modern grade 6
By EllieAnn
On Thu May 07, 2009 05:32 AM

Hi.
My dance show is fast approaching and to be honest I cannot not wait until its over because I get to begin Grade 5 Modern. At the age of 16 I feel old for this grade (though all the girls in my classes are older). I do feel a bit dragged down by the fact that I only get one class a week and the other girls arn't at all passionate about dance, it seems like a gossip class to them.

But i adore my teacher and she really is amazing. It's because of this that as well as keeping this class, I am going to ask her about the higher grades she teaches, and ask around other dance schools. I want to study grade 5 and grade 6 at the same time (I'm trying to sensibly fast track it to intermediate).

But I could really do with an outline of grade 6 syllabus (just names of exercises, maybe a brief description) so I can see whether i would be able to cope.

2 Replies to modern grade 6

re: modern grade 6
By balletpointe
On Sat May 09, 2009 11:15 AM
You should be able to get the grade 6 sylabus fron the ISTD website
re: modern grade 6
By janes
On Tue May 12, 2009 02:51 AM
It depends on how good you are! Grade 6 is a huge step up in difficulty from grade 5, so if you are finding grade 5 challenging I would suggest you wait. However if you find Grade 5 easy then there is no reason you could not do both grades together.

However, another option would be to try Inter Foundation instead, as (apart from the floor sequence) it is actually easier that Grade 6 and in a similar style to Intermediate.

Grade 6 is more modern & "funky" whereas Inter Foundation is more lyrical and more accessible to those from a ballet background.

It depends what style you prefer really - if you like a more streety flavour then definitely go for the Grade 6 (after this intermediate will be a bit of a disappointment though!)

ReplySendWatch