Popular Irish

Dropping down; where are you now? by Bogart
I'm just throwing this question out to anyone that has dropped down from the adult to the &overs...

Forum: Highland / Highland

Highland - General
question about judges score sheets en>fr fr>en
By Bellheather Comments: 112, member since Thu Jun 19, 2008
On Fri May 08, 2009 05:39 PM

My DD is now novice and I have never had an opportunity to see a judges score sheet. What exactly are dancers marked on and how do they lose marks? Any suggestions on where I could find a sample of a score sheet. We never know what marks are lost or areas she can inprove on in a competition.

Any info would be great!

Thank you!!!!

8 Replies to question about judges score sheets

re: question about judges score sheets (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By offkilter Comments: 158, member since Tue Mar 25, 2008
On Fri May 08, 2009 05:51 PM
Looking at a judge's sheet would not help you. The only info on them is the level, i.e. novice, beginner; age group i.e. under 10 years, 12 years; the dance i.e. fling, sword. The judge then fills in the dancers' numbers & gives them a score. Rarely a judge will put on a comment, usually in some sort of heiroglyphic shorthand. These comments are only for that judge as some type of reminder & are never to be passed on to teachers, parents or dancers.
To know what your dancer needs to work on to improve requires discussion with their instructor. If there is a workshop following the competition they may then get some feedback from that particular judge. Usually the dancer will find out that they need to work on exactly the same thing their teacher has been telling them all along....
re: question about judges score sheets en>fr fr>en
By LilDancer17 Comments: 667, member since Thu Dec 04, 2008
On Fri May 08, 2009 07:03 PM
I wish that we did get our scores back....that way we could see what we need to work on! I know that in other dance(ballet, jazz etc..) they give the score sheets so at least you know where you did great or not so great!
Ever judge scores differently and picks up very different things so in the end it totally depends on the judge! It would be soooo nice to see the score sheets.!
How can one better one's self if you have no clue what to better yourself on!!
By Dancemom44 Comments: 473, member since Thu Oct 11, 2007
On Fri May 08, 2009 07:35 PM
We do get comments (not scores) at BATD Festival competitions. Only happens twice a year in our area.
By Katy_Liz Comments: 958, member since Tue Jan 13, 2004
On Fri May 08, 2009 07:38 PM
They would have to revise the method by which the judge uses the score sheet to make them of any use what-so-ever. As Offkilter said, there is only the score and maybe a comment to remind the judge what dancer was which, like "blue kilt" or "glasses". Many times they don't write any comments at all.
By highlandgirl199 Comments: 97, member since Sat Apr 12, 2008
On Fri May 08, 2009 08:14 PM
the other type of comment they may write is if the dancer kicked their sword or something like that.

In highland the judges tally the score in their head, combining the three major areas of judging - deportment, technique and timing, and then if there are any minus 5's for example. All they write on the card is 68 for example which means nothing to anyone but the judge. If you want comments from a judge, as others have said, attend workshops wherever possible and I know here we have a festival competition where the judge dictates comments for each dancer to a writer and those comments are handed to the dancer after the awards presentation. I know these were a great help to me in the past.
By ThirdAerial Comments: 68, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Fri May 08, 2009 08:36 PM
It is the judge's job to find the top 6 dancers and rank those in the group accordingly. It is not the judge's job to provide feedback. The forum you should seek for that is medal exams or workshops.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2113, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sat May 09, 2009 03:05 AM

Here's part of a scrutineering sheet from a championship. It's only the fling and swords and the names and numbers are blanked out, but it gives you an idea.

Some competitions put these up for aggregate awards, not just Championships, but then there would only be one judge's placings.

And the 88, 56, 38, 25, 16, 10 are not the judges' "points" or "scores" but the SOBHD's system for awarding 1st to 6th actual number scores so overall places are less likely to be tied.
re: question about judges score sheets (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member Comments: 765, member since Wed Oct 13, 2004
On Sat May 09, 2009 02:05 PM
Just to clarify...

The sheet that Tazzimum has listed is not the same sheet that I would write my marks on. This is a scrutineering sheet showing the final results for the day. As she said, it shows the points allocated to the top six awards. These are added for each dance to calculate the aggregate.

The comments so far are excellent and correct. My judges sheets would mean nothing to you and the comments (a hodge podge of shorthand) would be useless to the dancer.

If you require feedback,hopefully your instructor attends some of the competitions so he/she can look at the standard of your dancer compared to the other dancers in the group and look for areas that need improvement.

Festivals and exams will give you objective feedback.

ReplySendWatch