Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

How Do I Get Guy's Black Pointe Shoes?
By AussieDancerDude
On Sun May 10, 2009 07:26 AM

Hey Dancing Dudes,

Have just started wearing pointe shoes! Took the leap! The thing is I need a black pair to match my tights! Do you guys have ideas? It would be muchly appreciated! Thanx :)

21 Replies to How Do I Get Guy's Black Pointe Shoes?

re: How Do I Get Guy's Black Pointe Shoes?
By yostretch
On Sun May 10, 2009 03:16 PM
One you have them made by a shoe company or 2 you buy pointe shoes and dye or spray them black....
By ryanmoore
On Mon May 11, 2009 07:23 PM
i would suggest painting them
the best bet would be jacquards textile paint
it paints dancewear very well
By youdancefunny
On Fri Jun 12, 2009 04:35 PM
Most people dye them, but you can also just take a black permanent marker to them and have at it (seriously, I've known a lot of people who did this too).

Depending on what brand you get, you may be able to have the manufacturer dye them as well. Grishko offers several colors for some of their models. However, don't get Grishkos just because you want them to dye the shoe for you! Any shoe can be dyed, but not any shoe is going to fit your feet.
By TidalWhale
On Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:42 PM
I have been dancing en pointe for little over a year now, and one day dream of being a trock! I wear bloch's at the moment and as part of my sew/break in routine I colour them black with an extra large black sharpie! It is the best out of any way possible to get your pointe shoes black, I even like it better than dying. The sharpie gives it incredible shine as if it was satin, and after you let the sharpie dry it makes the shoe a bit harder. The only down fall is that your shoes smell like sharpie for the first two weeks, after that your good to go. I dont recommend colouring the elastic or the ribbons. You can always just purchas black elastic and black ribbon from your local arts and crafts store. I coloured them once and after a sweaty class I had black feet!! Hope this helped!
By PerfectFeet
On Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 AM
I am currently in the process of having custom pointe shoes made by Capezio, and so far, my experience has been great. I am corresponding with a woman via email, and she is giving me very specific directions.

I am a size 11 US men's, and I want them in black canvas. I will be sending a set of foot tracings and other measurements, along with my nearly-dead Bloch Suprimas. I will be including a list of ways in which I'd want the shoes modified (in relation to the Suprimas), along with my preferences for just about every other variable of the shoe.

I am expecting that I'll be quite satisfied when I receive them, given the attentiveness of the lady I've been working with. It would be nice if I had smaller feet and could just choose from everything that is out there, but at least I know that I'll be getting a good fit this way.

If anyone wants contact information for this process (which was a bit difficult for me to track down), send me a private message.
By Old_Ballet_Dude
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:22 PM
I've had good luck buying all my dancewear any NY Dancewear (www.nydancewear.com). Granted I've not bought any Pointe shoes, but the woman who works there has sold Pointe shoes to guys.
By mascunine
On Thu Aug 27, 2009 05:31 PM
If you have small feet, i Know Grishko makes colored and black pointe shoes, if not dye it. I know this because i've been looking for fun dancewear which is torture because i'm so small.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 AM
you can order them black in a few styles but you will really need to dye them. Look of a product called Evangeline's slipper dye. you can get it as most shoe repair stores. It's an alcohol base and works really well on satin. You can also take them to a "Dye to match" bridal store and ask them to dye them.

hope this helps.
By balletkml
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 02:04 AM
Again, I know I will be shot down by MALE dancers!!! I have been dancing en-pointe since 12 and always wear pink pointes. Does it matter what colour shoes you wear? As long as you are into pointe, and being allowed to dance so because your teacher/dance master/mistress knows you are strong enough to practice the discipline after 3 ...4 years of training.
Does black pointes make you more masculine? Or pink ones makes you FEM? The whole idea of dance is to do what you really want , irrespective of putting a role in gender.
As far as I am concerned, pink is the cheapest, as long as you can find one that fit you comfortable in your size; If you are lucky to shop in Manhattan NY...in Capezio, Sansha...they will be glad to fit you or special order your size...
If you are so freaked out about wearing pink pointes, wear them under your black tights!!!!!! Or even simplier, wear a pair of BLACK ANKLE SOCKS to cover up your pink pointes, just make sure you cut a hole on the tip to maintain traction, use rosin, or whatever, even dip your pointes in Coca Cola, or paint your shoes with rubber cement!
What I am trying to say is if you are dancing en-pointe, most probably as the only boy in class, why hide it? Enjoy!!!
I know, teasing naturally comes along especially when you, like me, in the early teens. But you are there to dance, and if you are good enough, you will be soon treated as an equal, if not better than the girls! Gender identification should not be in dance, nor everywhere when work is concerned....We train and sweat to become what we believe in...so what is the problem? DANCE should be INSENSITIVE to preponderant of what sex we are (or what we want to be? )
Come on, afterall, ballet was started by the French aristocracy, by men! So I say go for your dreams, it's not what colour you wear en-pointe or in soft slippers, it's how well you can persuade the audience by conveying your message to make it real, REAL in a sense that no matter you are Jack or Jill, no matter whether your are Romeo or Juilet, you dance to your heart's desire, especially when your dancing as Juilet en-pointe! Tell me why you can't be her and she be Romeo?
Should there a new way of radical thinking of what ballet should be about, or what All dance is about?... It's not about boys nor girls, it's about DANCE...Let it BE... Afterall, Anton Dolin danced en-pointe in 1946, in black pointes, without ribbons, just goes to show how strong he is...and he practiced in pink without having to be sneered at, just go to England and check on their ballet archives
By PerfectFeet
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 07:19 AM
I agree with you balletkml, to some extent -

While I definitely DO think guys should have the unquestionable freedom to express themselves and ultimately wear whatever they want, wherever they want (within good taste), I think that more masculine colors get favored by males (hetero males, at least) in almost all cases. I would imagine that if pointe work actually does "catch on" with guys, the "default" color of shoe would be black. Just like our default tights color is black and shirt is usually white.

Now, I've seen your photos, and am totally cool with your style. (yellow stirrup tights with pink shoes and leg warmers) But you've got to know that (unfortunately) most people who see a guy with that look are going to assume you're gay. (and there's obviously nothing wrong with that) The reason that most straight guys wouldn't dress this colorfully, (including pink) is because they're so freakin' homophobic by nature that they're afraid of expressing themselves to that extent, for fear of being assumed gay. Hey, I didn't make the rule, nor did I decide the colors. I occasionally paint my toenails "masculine" colors - because I'm an eccentric, fun guy, and I (along with most girls) think it looks great. But unfortunately, it's basically the same case with this - I'm NOT gay, but a lot of ignorant people would probably write me off as such. I've decided not to give a care... I never really have.

As for the pointe shoes - I had to custom order mine because my feet are big. Ordering black canvas (as a guy) just makes a lot more sense to me. The same with the ribbons. Instead of criss-crossing pink ribbons, I'm going to go with the crossed-over-the-foot flatshoe setup (with thicker, black, elastics).
By TidalWhale
On Wed Sep 02, 2009 08:58 AM
Ok, I wear my shoes pink when they first come because that is how they are ordered, in that case I wear white tights. But my teacher would rip my face off if she saw me wearing pink pointes with black tights. The reason I colour them black is because they match my tights. Matching the tights makes my lines look longer and my teacher leave my face attatched.
By guyclone
On Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 PM
haha that last line really made me laugh!
By Old_Ballet_Dude
On Sun Sep 06, 2009 05:09 AM
Color doesn't matter. If all you can get are pink pointes that fit you correctly, then go for it. Fitting guys large feet with Pointes can be difficult since so few makers have sizes big and wide enough for guys.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 14, 2009 02:35 PM
Just saw this on their email flyer.

TUTU.com will dye pointe shoes when you order from them.
By fouetteboi
On Thu Oct 15, 2009 04:54 PM
nydancestore.com they sell Sansha Recitals. they come in black and canvas so its a more "manly" color and material and they also come in men's sizes up to 16 I think. They are also pretty cheaply priced.
By mascunine
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:17 AM
If you are only going to wear them in class, just get pink ones. Dye them if you have to perform. I personally wouldn't want to perform with pink shoes, but I would be fine with wearing them in class.
By stormshadow
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 03:21 PM
You can get get the Sansha Recitals from NYDancestore.com as everyone has said. They seem to be amonght he few pointe shoes with sizes that permit for guys' feet. They run up to size 16 which would be about a 10.5-11. If your feet are around that size, you could just order them in black instead of having to get a pink pair and dying them which seems to me like more trouble than it's worth.
By TidalWhale
On Mon Dec 21, 2009 06:53 AM
Edited by TidalWhale (188713) on 2009-12-21 06:54:39 Spelling/Grammer
I have been wearing Sansha Recital's for quite some time right now, but that is because they are the perfect shoe for me! I can fit in pretty much any other pointe shoe brand but the sanshas work best. I think they work so well for boys because of the replacable shenk system, since guys can weigh a smidge more than women.

I just ordered them for myself in the black canvas and had to return them for a larger size. The pink satin shoes generally stretch more because of the way the fabric is. The canvas doesn't budge, just keep this in mind for when you are ordering in canvas. I ordered my from dance express at $36 per pair. It came with an orange mesh sansha bag (to carry the shoes in), the reinforcable shenks, black non-satiny ribbon (not quite sure of the fabric), and of course the shoes. Great buy!!

Also to those out there that do order these... did you notice that the bottom is stamped i noticed that my favorite stamp is the foot, generally because the shoes fits nicer. I got two pair when I ordered greatfully one was stamped with the foot and they fit great. But the second pair were stamped with this bird-looking thing, and dont fit as nicely. Is it possible that this is the maker's mark? I only question this because generally the recitals are majority machine made from what I have heard.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:41 PM
Ahh... I don't think the color matters so much. You have to make sure you find shoes that fit in any color, that's hard enough already.

Pink pointe shoes under black footless ankle tights look pretty good.

It's true, you want long lines. But what good is a long line if it's invisible (in black) --- black tights and black shoes? That's why pink shoes and pink tights are standard wear for women in ballet. Just TRY white or pink tights, with white or pink shoes --- you'll see the difference.
By james2
On Wed Feb 10, 2010 05:43 PM
sansha makes black pointes,leather polish works will stain them for a while , but is messy.

best of luck
By WillSouthMcr
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 08:39 AM
I bought my black pair from Freed in London Covent Garden.They helped fit and check.Provide them with a trace of your outline and they could make to measure.

ReplySendWatch