Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Poor car. :'(
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 10, 2009 03:44 PM
Edited by rincedragonfly (126044) on 2009-05-10 15:48:45

I was involved in a rear-ender on Thursday. I was sitting at a red light waiting to go when a teenager smashed into me and hit me into the car in front of me. We don't know yet if it can be fixed or if it will be a total loss. I'll know early this week.

:(

Poor car. Poor Aibhlinn.

EDIT: Oh, and if you look in the second picture, just to the left of my license plate, there's a right angle...yeah, that's her license plate frame imprinted in my bumper.

9 Replies to Poor car. :'(

re: Poor car. :'(
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 10, 2009 04:44 PM
She must have been going pretty fast. Was she text messaging or something? I don't know how she couldn't have seen stopped cars at a red light.

I'm glad you are ok, and that you didn't receive any very serious injuries. How's the leg feeling lately?

Just out of curiousity, what kind of car is it?
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 10, 2009 04:47 PM
I'm sorry about your car. I'm very glad you werent' hurt! I have chronic upper back problems from being rear ended 10 years ago.
On Sun May 10, 2009 08:45 PM
Stacey, it's a PT Cruiser. My favorite kind of car. I'm really sad Chrysler will not be making them anymore. :(

I don't know if she was text messaging or not...maybe I'll find out more when I get the police report? She never said anything but "I'm so sorry!" to me, and neither did the dad. Well, he introduced himself to me and I went back to sobbing. That was the extent of our conversation.

My leg is hurting a lot today. Well, the pain level hasn't really gone down. It's gone down a little bit and been more manageable at night, but that's it. I'm icing it right now, and I'll just be sitting in bed resting it the rest of the night, so it should be okay. Well, okay as it will be.

Question for those of you in the know: Should I go to the doctor again for my leg? The only thing they did on it was an X-ray to see if it was broken. Should they do an MRI or something on it? My dance teacher wants to know more information, and I really don't have any. And I should know exactly what's up with my leg. Where do I go from here?
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 11, 2009 05:46 AM
I would return to a doctor. You could have seriously injured your leg or torn muscles, ligaments, etc.

You might even need physical therapy or something to get the muscle back to normal. All this needs to be documented as soon as possible so her insurance can pick up the cost of everything.

If you are unable to work or anything due to your leg injury, that needs to be documented too so her insurance can reimburse you for lost wages.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 AM
Is there any damage to the front end? If not, I would say that they won't consider this a total loss. Then again, I don't know the model year or the mileage on your vehicle to know the value. From the pictures, it appears as though it is outer body damage, which they will usually fix rather than declare a total loss. Hopefully they will be able to fix it since they aren't making them anymorem, then you can still drive what you love!
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 11, 2009 11:41 AM
Edited by oooshiny (189290) on 2009-05-11 11:42:13
Aw, that sucks! At least you weren't more seriously hurt. And it does look from the picture like the damage is mostly exterior. I'm hoping for you that it can just be fixed!

And I would definitely go see a doctor. Maybe go into your family doctor & ask for a referral to get an MRI or something. I don't trust x-rays, hahah. I went for 3 months on a shredded ACL & meniscus because they didn't see anything broken on an x-ray & just assumed I sprained my knee instead of investigating further. Yeah it wasn't til after I demanded an MRI because my knee kept slipping out of place that they found out the extent of the damage I'd done. (Actually, it wasn't until the surgery! Getting told you'll just be having arthroscopic surgery & the waking up afterwards to a 6-inch long incision instead is quite an experience :P ). So definitely go back to make sure there's nothing more serious going on with your leg. Better safe than sorry!
By Dancerdev1998
On Mon May 11, 2009 01:33 PM
aww poor car how did it hapen our car int very well ether 500 pounds for it to get repared :( hope your car gets better

love devin xxx
On Mon May 11, 2009 02:31 PM
Okay, go back to the doc and ask for an MRI. I'll do that. I've never had anything like this happen, so I didn't know what to do! I'll get in ASAP...

The repair company took my car to their place today to check it out and see what can be done. I have a rental in the meantime...and guess what it is? A PT Cruiser! A black 2008 one. I feel more at home driving it than my parents' cars. :)

There's hardly any damage to the front end. Just some paint scraping on my bumper. Nothing I literally couldn't fix myself. I have a can of paint matched to my car. :)

I'll keep you updated about my car and my leg as I know more.
On Wed May 13, 2009 09:26 PM
Car update:

It's repairable! So I'll get my baby back. :) It's $5,000 worth of damages. :O

ReplySendWatch