Forum: Arts / Religion

Ganging up on the pope.Yes,he is a Catholic.
By houndrfriendPremium member
On Tue May 12, 2009 03:37 AM

I read in the paper that the Pope is touring the middle east and that all sorts of people are criticising him for various reasons.I will look at the newspaper story later ahain but I think it said some Jews,homosexuals and arabs and I forget who else are critical of the tour.It seems to me that it is happening in many areas that groups are getting together for a common purpose but they would otherwise be fighting amongst themselves.What do you think.Also,there was one minority group about 10 years ago complaining about Isralie police treatment.Would would never guess what group it was.

15 Replies to Ganging up on the pope.Yes,he is a Catholic.

re: Ganging up on the pope.Yes,he is a Catholic.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 12, 2009 03:46 AM
So, what about the Jewish Homosexual Arabs? Now, there's a case for in-fighting. And they would definitely have something to say to the Pope.

Mark
By ballerinabri
On Tue May 12, 2009 01:25 PM
I think it's a great idea really. Instead of the Jews fighting the Homos, and the Arabs fighting the Jews, we should all rally against Catholics. Brilliant really.
By KayEllePremium member
On Tue May 12, 2009 05:27 PM
^ I completely agree. And also, don't forget the Arabs fighting the homos. Now THAT'S entertaining.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 12, 2009 06:36 PM
It must be boring in Iran, I'm sure Mahmoud Ahmadinejad still maintains that they don't have that sort of thing there:

We don't have homosexuals like in your country. We don't have that in our country. We don't have this phenomenon; I don't know who's told you we have it.

:P

Mark

Comment #8221733 deleted
Removed by Elfie (64279) on 2009-05-13 16:06:32 Calling a member out.

By popergerm
On Fri May 15, 2009 11:11 PM
That is the story of being catholic, its never popular, often contraversal, and its very old. Differant groups hated us since the beginning of the christian church, from pentacost on.

signed popergerm
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 16, 2009 12:06 AM
Maybe that should tell you something.
By FeisDadAndre
On Sat May 16, 2009 01:04 AM
Wait, wait, back up for a moment. Are you saying that there are people in the Middle East who are criticizing others based on their religious views? Wow, when did that start?

OK, that might just be a tad sarcastic but I come by that sarcasm honestly. And to show you why that is so, let's take a quick tour of Middle East politics, as I've seen it unfold over the past 40 years or so.

The Muslim people consider Jerusalem the second holiest site in Islam. The Jewish people consider Jerusalem the holiest site in Judaism. The Christians consider Jerusalem one of the holiest site in Christianity. They all three secretly wish the other two groups would just bugger off and leave them alone. The State of Israel currently controls Jerusalem, which is a source of frustration to the many, many groups of Arabs who would wish the Jewish state would just disappear altogether (and have worked hard to make that a reality). The Jews decided to create Israel after all that unpleasantness in World War 2, when this one guy made it easier for others to actually try to get rid of the Jews. There are other people today who wish he had succeeded and failing that, openly deny that any such event took place. Those people are idiots. And they don't just live in Iran but in the United States and Canada as well.

Then there's this group of people called the Palestinians, who are having a hard time making their way in the world because the people of Israel are afraid of them, on account of the whole suicide-bomber thing. And who could blame them? So the world condems the Palestinians, except for the advocates of a Palestinian State, who condem Israel.

Oh and did I mention that Israel is surrounded on three sides by countries who at one time, all openly called for the destruction of the State of Israel? (The fourth side is the Mediterranean Sea, a lovely body of warm water which will still be there long after all the people causing the current problems have decayed into foul smelling dust).

Into this cesspool of international politics, one man has decided to wade-in up to his armpits, in the hope of creating a little healthier fellowship amongst the antagonists. Sure, the Catholic Church has done some bone-headed things in the past (the Crusades, the Inquisition, ex-communicating Gallileo for suggesting the whole "Earth is not the centre of the Universe" thing). But ya gotta give the Pope some credit for having the chops to approach the entire mess with humility and a real desire to propose that the Middle East embrace, of all things, peace!! I mean, Good God, what would we all do if peace broke out in the Middle East?? We'd have to spend the rest of our lives concentrating on the more important news of the day, like what stupid thing Britney Spears is doing today. Or what George Clooney is wearing on the red carpet. You know, the truly important matters of our time.

Yeah, people are ganging up on the Pope, while others are ganging up on those who don't subscribe to their own narrow, xenophobic view of the way the world should be. The best we can do is to recognize the good folks and try to make sure that, at the end of the day, there are more good folks than evil ones.

Failing that, well... Manchester United is playing Arsenal in a few hours. And if there is a God (whoever he/she/it may be), my prayers will be answered if Arsenal wins, as does Liverpool on Sunday. Hey, that may be a real stretch but it's a more realistic goal than say, Middle East peace. :D
By dancin_til_death
On Sat May 23, 2009 02:49 AM
I'm not a fan to be honest, but I'd still turn up to see the Pope for the simple reason that he is a leader of a large proportion of the world's population.

I think the real question is, if George Bush got a shoe thrown at him... what do you think the Pope will have thrown at him...

I'm guessing... hat... or belt or maybe they'll be unoriginal and he'll get a shoe as well...
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 23, 2009 03:36 AM
They all three secretly wish the other two groups would just bugger off and leave them alone.

Shhhh don't ruin the surprise!
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 23, 2009 02:14 PM
popergerm wrote:

That is the story of being catholic, its never popular, often contraversal, and its very old. Differant groups hated us since the beginning of the christian church, from pentacost on.

signed popergerm

You did NOT just go there. Catholics have been hated since the beginning of the Christian church?! Seriously? Um, do the Crusades ring a bell?
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Sat May 23, 2009 03:28 PM
This thread reminds me of a song by the Kingston Trio (yes, I'm that old). The song is called "Rioting in Africa". It lists first the major strife and misfortune in the world at that time, then the group hatreds (The ___ hate the ___0, ending with "and I don't like anybody very much), then comes the final chorus, ending with "What Nature doesn't do to us"; two measures of whistling; and "Will be done by our fellow man."
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 04:10 AM
manchester to win,allways
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 04:18 AM
I must have heard a million songs but I do not remember that one.What about this one...can u feel the fear that i am feeling today,can you see the hate that i see today,there will be no one left to say the world will intergrate.u made it easier for 3 days in space but when you are in eternity its the same old pace.When the button is pushed there is no running away.What about the hate there is in red China then have a look around at Selma Alabama....I may have it mixed up a bit,but it is an interesting song.
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 06:10 PM
Sorry, farbrotherhound, the actual title is "The Merry Minuet".
The Merry Minuet Lyrics
Artist(Band):Kingston Trio
They're rioting in Africa. They're starving in Spain. There's hurricanes in Florida, and Texas needs rain.
The whole world is festering with unhappy souls. The French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles.
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch. And I don't like anybody very much!
But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud, for man's been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud.
And we know for certain that some lovely day, someone will set the spark off... and we will all be blown away.
They're rioting in Africa. There's strife in Iran. What nature doesn't do to us... will be done by our fellow man.

In any event, you don't gang up on a Pope that clearly is working for peace. Regretfully, not all Popes have done so.

ReplySendWatch