Priority Slow Dance

Forum: General

Teachers - General
Recital Programs and what do you put in them?? en>fr fr>en
By MissNatalie Comments: 150, member since Tue Nov 27, 2007
On Tue May 12, 2009 11:51 AM

Hey Everyone,
What all do you put in your recital programs?? Besides the dances obviously. We did recital ads for the first time this year. Do you put in a thank you to the parents and dancers? Do you state the awards you won over the year (competition wise?)? Do you put in anything about your seniors?? Do you state who your teachers assistants are or anything of that sort?? Just wondering. Thank you.

Miss Natalie

8 Replies to Recital Programs and what do you put in them??

re: Recital Programs and what do you put in them?? en>fr fr>en
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 PM
I think it just depends on the studio and how much money you are able to invest in them. I have been with studio's that have fairly plain and just a few pages listing the song, the teacher and the students names in the order they appear, with maybe an introduction from the owner at the front and a page of good luck messages in the back for the students.

I've also been with studio's that had very very nice programs. They included a photographed cover, plus the class photo with each students name for each dance that year. There were pages for the scholarship awards and the recipients, pages for the seniors, pages for dancer of the year, good luck messages, letter from the SO, an area detailing the awards won by both the classes and individuals throughout the year, special thanks area and a section for the ads. There is usually a page dedicated to the teachers(which alot of times was the back cover) too.
By vfdtPremium member Comments: 2737, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Tue May 12, 2009 01:11 PM
^^^ From what I've read here on similar posts, some dance schools turn it into a "yearbook" with color pictures, and charge for it too.

I'm a small school, print my own, and use one regular sheet, folded in half, with thank-you's on the back page, and no paid ads. Sure, I would love to have the revenue from paid ads, but with such a small school, I don't feel it makes sense for anyone to put business ads in it, just yet.
By gottadance71 Comments: 795, member since Tue Jul 10, 2007
On Tue May 12, 2009 01:14 PM
My program consists of all the dances and dancers in them including the choreographer, after the list of dances are the awards/milestones 3 yr. 5 yr. etc, perfect attendance, and congratualtions to the seniors with their names, then come the credits (videographer, stage manager, lights etc.), then I have a picture and bio of my instructors, then ads from businesses and messages from students families, at the end I have advertisement for my summer programs. On the inside of the front cover I alway find a nice poem about dance.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Wed May 13, 2009 11:47 AM
If you want to keep it simple, just put in credits for workers and staff, the order of the show, your enrollment information for next season and/or summer in the back and a nice cover. Many great schools have very simple programs, so do not worry that you need a fancy one.

If you want to see what mine looked like, I can email you my last one as pdf files, minus the advertisements. I had the right side of the book (8x11) as the program and other text and the left side, inside front and back cover and back cover were all of the advertisements.

I designed the cover that was also our tee-shirt front for the recital.
By missfitz2 Comments: 588, member since Fri Sep 16, 2005
On Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 AM
Our program is two 8x11 sheets of paper folded so that gives us 8 pages to work with.

They are....
a cover page
2 pages for the order of show and listing dancers
2 pages for seniors
1 page for competition results
1 page for teacher bios
1 page for thank you and advertising for next year's enrollment.

Hope that helps!
By eloisefigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1015, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Wed May 13, 2009 09:21 PM
besides the dances, we have the following:
bios of teachers
pictures of comp teams
pictures of girls accepted to summer programs
tribute ads for any child in the recital
By wedance09 Comments: 186, member since Mon May 04, 2009
On Thu May 14, 2009 08:57 AM
Edited by wedance09 (211105) on 2009-05-14 08:58:34
Our program is a source of revenue. We sell program ads and the dancer who sells the most ads gets the inside front cover. The class that sells the most ads gets the inside back cover. There is a dedication page for the owner's deceased dance teacher, the program listings, pictures of the Company, then personal and business program ads with dancer pictures, pictures of each class and at the end some pages for short messages from friends and family to each dancer. If a dancer chooses not to sell ads we ensure there is at least one picture of that dancer identifying them by name. Back cover is an advertisement for the following dance year. Last year it was 104 pages.
By HeyRedPremium member Comments: 1567, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Fri May 15, 2009 08:53 AM
Ours are professionally done, but they aren't very extravagant at all!

They come to about 20-25 pages, and are usually the size of an 8x11 folded in half. No color images, but black and white, yes.

Usually, there is a picture of the staff - sometimes there are mini-bios, usually a thank you from the director... Then the parents usually put in a picture of their child with a "we are so proud of you on you Nth recital" type deal. A lot of our groups' families will also do a group-page "great job (group name), we love you!" We also do the advertising thing, to help pay for the book itself, from local businesses. Usually, its the business the parents own, relatives own, or family-friends own. We also have advertisements for the building our studio is in, the person doing the music, the photographer, and the videographer. The director will also usually put in thank yous to those people, the other stage hands, and anyone who has helped her throughout the year. She usually also puts in a little thing with any graduating seniors, a congratulations on graduating and a good luck...

Then of course, there's 2-3 pages of the line-up for the show with the students' names. The listing of 5, 10 and 15 year performers, perfect attendance...

We usually do a 2-page collage of photos from our main competition of the year (since the others usually occur after the recital) - including nice posed ones, ones from the awards, bloopers, goofy-moments, etc... It's something that we always hear the kid's talking about "who will make it in." This will be the first year we plan on putting a listing of all the winnings from competition in it -- you can see we have high hopes!! lol

I think it's just fine for our needs and what is affordable. Usually, a profit isn't made off of them. We do it for the students and the parents, not really for the director or teachers.

But there was one studio I went to, who was not very big, and had these monstrous books - a full 8x10 or 8x11 size. That had to be purchased. But there was a one-page bio of every student at that studio (between 60-90 students), the child who sold the most adds was featured in a gown with a 3 foot 4 poster trophy and massive crown and flower bouquet on the front... It came to over 120 pages. It just was all a little much. But I guess that's just because I grew up with more simpler, free booklets! :)

Do as much - or as little - as you think is appropriate for your audience! If you can afford something extravagant - do it! People enjoy paging through them, regardless. :)

ReplySendWatch