Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Pointe Fittings
By wastedmb Comments: 21, member since Fri Dec 04, 2009
On Tue Dec 08, 2009 03:50 PM
really great tips! gotta remember thoes
By tippytoes2251 Comments: 4, member since Wed Jan 06, 2010
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 04:45 PM
I always get fitted at Capezio on 51st and Broadway. They got rid of that cranky, older woman, Judy. She always made me feel uncomfortable because I was not a Principal dancer at the New York City Ballet. The new woman conducting fittings is so sweet and patient.
By xox_Julia_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 247, member since Sat Nov 08, 2008
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 04:56 PM
Thank you!

I've just been told I can start pointe, and we haven't made an appointment yet, but we will call soon. One problem though, I don't have convertible tights. ??? What should I do? Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it will help. :D
By protostarnessie Comments: 51, member since Mon Apr 26, 2010
On Sat May 15, 2010 06:33 AM
This is totally how my fitting went! I need to tell all my friends who are going en pointe to check this out!
By Dancerat50member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 353, member since Fri Dec 18, 2009
On Tue Jul 27, 2010 08:54 AM
I was told last night that I could go back on pointe. It has been 32 years, yes I said 32. I am adult dancer and I am just thrilled that you have this sticky with such great information. Thanks for taking the time to post it!
By borntodance_134member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 76, member since Sat Oct 24, 2009
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 06:23 AM
This was REALLY helpful :P

I read this before going to my pointe fitting and it helped answer a lot of the questions I had :D

If I had karma, I'd give it to you!
By balletforlife31 Comments: 21, member since Mon Nov 15, 2010
On Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:49 AM
Congrats to all the new pointe dancers! Remeber to wear tights to your first fitting! I made that sorry mistake, as they refused to help me :(
By RibenaRockstar Comments: 426, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 AM
What I do is I wear tights, under leggings, under shorts. And then t-shirt or whatever on the top half. That means that if I'm going on somewhere afterwards, or I've come from somewhere, I don't have to do the whole leotard thing (which is hassleful if you need the loo - and also I, um, am not your classical 'dancer' shape, and I doubt people want to see me in a leo)
By kirsty_c3Premium member Comments: 59, member since Sat Dec 05, 2009
On Sat Jan 15, 2011 04:54 PM
are you best to try toepads straight away when you first go for a pointeshoe fitting? does it matter if the shoes are a little baggy around the heel area and if not is there anything that you can do to help them fit? cold water or hot water?
By Jordysmum Comments: 53, member since Thu May 27, 2010
On Mon Feb 07, 2011 01:07 PM
Great advice, will certianly bear this all in mind when the time comes.
By Banquo Comments: 113, member since Sun Mar 06, 2011
On Thu Mar 10, 2011 09:03 AM
Thank you for posting this!!!
I'm sad that fittings in Germany don't work this way. When I started pointe (and it's been the same at all the fittings I've had since), the fitter asks about your street shoe size, then pulls out a couple of shoes. You put them on your feet with padding and then hop onto pointe. All the fitter does is ask if you think the shoe fits right and if you have questions like "Is the shoe supposed to do that" you get "It depends", "I don't know" or something similar.
I can't count the amount of times when a fitter wanted me to try out shoes for a Greek foot when I'm an Egyptian tapered. It sucks that no one knows what they're doing. :(
By ballerinachloeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 51, member since Fri Jan 21, 2011
On Fri May 13, 2011 03:08 PM
I have a concern... I think I got fit wrong :? She had me try on shoes with padding on (an ouch pouch plus a big tip!) and I've been having a bit of trouble getting up on the box now, and when i pull the shoe so my heel is all the way in the back I can fit a finger in between my foot and the vamp.
By mliaabmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 234, member since Mon May 16, 2011
On Mon May 16, 2011 08:32 AM
Now I know what I should be looking for when I get my pointe shoes fitted!!But I just have one question... I live in Jordan and there arent any pointe shoe stores here so when I go off to Oxford in the summer, there is just one or two days that I spend in London. I dont have much time to do fittings so could anyone tell me what stores have a wide arange of pointe shoes? I dont mind any pointe shoes are fine with my teacher! Thank you!!
-Samira
By pointework Comments: 150, member since Sun May 15, 2011
On Mon May 16, 2011 07:09 PM
I have a problem where I live there are only 2 dancewear stores that sell pointe shoes. I was womdering what can i do about this when i am ready for pointe work with getting fitted for pointe shoes? Can anyone give me some good advice the thing is I would need my teacher there to have me fitted properly as well. I know there are other dance store outside the area but I don't know if my teacher would be willing to go far to have me fitted. You see the stores in my area only sell 2 or 3 brands and thats a problem since I have heard getting fitted with a lot of brands of pointe shoes is good for a proper fitting.
By lovestodance989 Comments: 318, member since Sun Jun 12, 2011
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 07:51 AM
Thanks, this helped me a lot when I got fitted:)
By mliaabmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 234, member since Mon May 16, 2011
On Sat Jul 02, 2011 02:10 AM
I don't own a pair of convertable tights, will this be a problem at the fitting?? Please answer quick as I will not have any access to the internet within a week (going to summer camp, no internet :( )
On Sat Jul 02, 2011 08:25 PM
not really I was fitted with regular tights and it didnt affect my fit. It depends though to on the fitting and what time you are fitted as your feet will expand more in the afternoon and evening
On Sun Jul 03, 2011 02:10 AM
My feet don't really expand during any of my technique classes, but I will be walking for a while before I go to the fitting. I am very excited!!!! :)
On Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 AM
Ok well that walking will warm them up. The feet are usually warm during the afternoon and evening hours when they have been used a lot.
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Sat Nov 26, 2011 02:12 PM
Really great advice!! Too bad I already got my first pair of pointes....but my teacher came with me, and helped me a lot b/c she knows the people working there. Anyways, they're Grishkos, and I love them!!!!!
By lawlietuser Comments: 8, member since Thu Apr 07, 2011
On Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info! It was also pretty entertaining! Though I probably wont be going en pointe for a long time, I still love this thread!
By balletisforever Comments: 3, member since Sun Mar 25, 2012
On Sun Mar 25, 2012 08:42 PM
i was totally this excited and made the mistake of wearing a dress because i went right after school, and then straight to class. I'm such a procrastinator lol
By WeLiveLaughDance Comments: 27, member since Tue Jul 17, 2012
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 08:56 AM
WOW this must have taken so long, but it's SO helpful thanks a lot :)
By LoveAthenaa Comments: 16, member since Fri Mar 21, 2014
On Tue Mar 25, 2014 06:10 PM
Great post! I didn't get my pointe shoes yet (next year), just counting the days until I do get my shoes. :)

When the class is ready, my studio sends a letter home with the child, and the whole grade gets together on one day, goes to a dance store (the best around, they close the store for the whole day just for our studio to go in), gets their shoes fitted, have a little "class" there, and then go out to eat after. Super fun!
By behindbarres Comments: 84, member since Sun Mar 30, 2014
On Sat Apr 19, 2014 05:30 PM
Very good advice except at my pointe shoe fittings I wore padding right away after they assessed my feet.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch