Popular Irish

Vintage rhinestone jewelry used on dress?? by blondcat
Hello, has anyone ever used a vintage necklace to trim a dance dress? Other than prong set stones...

Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Cars & Driving
I'm getting a car!!! Now I need care advice. en>fr fr>en
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6897, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Sat May 16, 2009 05:32 PM

Ok. I'm 23, I passed my test in November, then I lived in France for 5 months. Driving has never held a big appeal for me. I just got my test so I could have better employability prospects. Good thing I did, I'm now living at home, not in Edinburgh, so without the good city public transport, I'm screwed, as I can't afford taxi's to and from work when mum's car is being used. (My mum's a teacher, and I've just got a job as a waitress.)

My brother in law is looking out for a car for me. Since he turned 17, he's had well over 12 cars, and he's 28. He has almost always bought them damaged, and repaired them. He knows what he's at.

I know roughly what I'm getting, something with a 1.0 or 1.2 litre engine, manual transmission, probably diesel. We've been looking at Renault Clios, but I'll take whatever, although my family are car snobs, and probably would never let me drive a corsa.

Like I said, lived in France, now working as a waitress, I don't have a pile of money, I don't want to have to pay out a lot for this car. (we're keeping costs down by buying damaged, and small engine.)

I'm going to be paying for the car, the insurance, and the road tax and MOTs for this thing. I want to know what I need to know for keeping it. I'm going to get my dad to show me, but I'd like something somewhere that I can come back to and look at again

I'm basically just asking for information on basic maintenance, since the car's a necessity so this is too. (ie, what I should be doing regularly to keep my car MOT passable, anything to help fuel economy and keep costs down, a Made for idiots guide to car ownership)

1 Replies to I'm getting a car!!! Now I need care advice.

re: I'm getting a car!!! Now I need care advice. en>fr fr>en
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6256, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat May 16, 2009 08:50 PM
This was covered a bit a week or three ago, but worth saying again. Assuming the car is working fine when you get it, the number one thing you can do is to be religious about changing the lubricating engine oil. For most modern cars that is about every 5000 miles. Many modern cars actually have a dash light that tells you when you have crossed that threshhold.

Keep up the suggest maintenance at the 30, 60, 90K mile (or metric equivalents) which are suggested in the owners manuals. This include changeing the other fluids in the car (anti-freeze, brake, power steer, transmission fluid et al) tuning up the car
["Tuning up a car simply means checking and adjusting the ignition timing (of a gasoline) system so that the ignition point in the engine cycle occurs at the factory recommended optimum point. Having the ignition too early or too late wastes fuel and makes the car run poorly. This is not quite as critical as it once was as modern ingitions are transistorized and have few or no moving parts. Modern cars also have a plug installed so you can get an electronic diagnosis of the status of many systems.

Check the major safety items such as tire wear and brake wear. Never drive with substandard tires or brakes. These should be checked as a matter of course at the 30, 60, 90K maintenence points.

I do this on both my car and my wife's car and we have not had any major repairs except for normal consumable such as brakes and tires and clutches, in those cars that had one, in over 15 years.

Jon

ReplySendWatch