Poll: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

How old is too old to audition to be a professional dancer?
By etoile_to_bemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 97, member since Tue Feb 17, 2009
On Sat May 16, 2009 08:12 PM

I really want to know from other advanced dancers and professionals and teachers, when you are just too old to be considered for a company?

6 Replies to How old is too old to audition to be a professional dancer?

re: How old is too old to audition to be a professional dancer?
By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1284, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Sun May 17, 2009 05:08 PM
Probably 28-ish. But I know a girl who is 30-something and just auditioned (and got accepted) to a local contemporary ballet company.
By PNB_Girlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 99, member since Thu Dec 07, 2006
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:37 AM
^I would agree^ Probably anywhere up to 28 at the oldest, a lot of very talented dancers don't get started till they are in their mid teens so the need that extra bit of time to train. But if they are trained well some companies will still look at them up till around 28.
By CarabosseKPremium member Comments: 1778, member since Fri Feb 22, 2008
On Mon Jan 25, 2010 05:53 AM
That answer is going to depend greatly on what company you're auditioning for. 28-30 would be very reasonable for many smaller dance companies, but you probably wouldn't even be allowed entrance into the auditions for larger companies...so it varies greatly.
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1133, member since Tue Dec 27, 2005
On Tue Feb 02, 2010 04:55 PM
A friend of mine auditioned for and made the Ailey company when she was 27. She left the age/birthday part of the audition information blank. After the audition (after she had already impressed them), they asked her how old she was, and she said "how old do you need me to be?" She got the job.

-Kerplooey
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Tue Feb 16, 2010 08:23 PM
I think late 20's to early 30's is when you get too old. You may not necessarily be a bad dancer, but most companies wouldn't accept an older dancer and by that age your stamina can only last so long.
By tempsleve Comments: 505, member since Wed Jun 09, 2010
On Sat Dec 04, 2010 09:01 PM
Also, its much easier to mold to a company when you're younger. As in, the way they run things, their classes, their teachers etc etc. So its easier for you if you're younger, too.

ReplySendWatch