Forum: Arts / Religion

Creative prayer ideas
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 17, 2009 01:53 PM

Starting in the fall I will be leading a prayer group in one of the campus ministries at my university. I'm very excited about it. But I feel like I don't have very many prayer meeting ideas. We will meet once a week and have about 45 minutes to conduct a little prayer meeting. Generally each meeting has an interactive way to pray and it's different every week. Luckily I have Thanksgiving and Christmas on which to base some ideas, so those will be easy weeks to decide what to do.

I have about 12 or 13 weeks of meeting to plan for and I'm looking for some ideas. I'm open to just about anything :) For a little hint of what we've done in the past: once we all sat in a circle and got a post-it note. We wrote our prayer requests on the note and then as we fell led we passed them around the circle and prayed for the requests on the note we had. One time we also wrote out our prayer in letter form (one previous prayer leader actually based her entire semester on letter-form prayers).

Any ideas?

7 Replies to Creative prayer ideas

re: Creative prayer ideas
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 17, 2009 02:45 PM
Perhaps teach them about the Rosary.

en.wikipedia.org . . .

Even though you're United Methodist it's helpful to understand the traditions of other denominations, especially Roman Catholicism.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 17, 2009 08:06 PM
^Why especially Roman Catholicism? Just wondering :)

I actually really love the rosary idea.

What about painting prayer requests onto a huge sheet of paper? Then you could also display it somewhere?
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 17, 2009 08:46 PM
I say that because I feel it's really important that we teach others not only our specific denominational history but also the foundational roots out of which our denominations sprang up.
On Mon May 18, 2009 08:16 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention- the ministry I'm with is non-denominational :) But I like the idea of teaching about other denominations.
On Mon May 18, 2009 04:38 PM
Another thing you could do is doing a study of the Lord's Prayer, line by line. We did something similar in my college Sunday School class a few years ago. I'll try to contact the teacher of that class and see if she still have the material so I can point you in the right direction.
On Mon May 18, 2009 08:10 PM
That would be so awesome, Caleb. I have a Max Lucado book called The Great House of God and it's all about the Lord's Prayer. I read most of it a few years ago and then never finished. Looks like I need to read that one again!
By LoveBallet2008
On Sat Jun 06, 2009 06:49 PM
You could do a memory verse for each week, can be very useful. I've been feeling reall stupid and dumb lately, and I've just been thinking about Philippians 4:13, which says: "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." It's sortof helped me, in a way.

Also, you can do the devotions thing: pray, listen, look up passage, write down, and see if it will apply to something.

And of course, you can pray. ;)

ReplySendWatch