Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Starting Modern?
By JazzDancer221
On Wed May 20, 2009 08:21 PM

I will be starting modern this summer. I have only been dancing for 2 years but my dance teacher thinks I'm ready for it. My Background is Jazz and Ballet. Could you guys tell me maybe what to expect? What are some types of jumps and kicks you do in modern?
Thanks in Advance!
Hannah :)

5 Replies to Starting Modern?

re: Starting Modern?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 21, 2009 12:41 AM
It'll be different. As for jumps maybe stag leaps...um, kicks, not much if at all. At least that would be my experience.
By feeling_the_beat
On Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 PM
It really depends on which technique of modern/ contemporary the class focuses on. Some techniques involve a lot of contracting and some use a lot of isolation. It could be that you will learn from a combination of these techniques or it could be more free in its methods.

Just go along with a open mind, don't worry it may take some time to get used to it!
By JazzDancer221
On Fri May 22, 2009 08:22 PM
Thanks! That helped a lot! :)
By Music_is_love13
On Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:53 AM
Be prepared to fall. No, it's not what you think, don't worry. It's just that from my modern experience, we do a fair bit of choreographed falls, and spend some time moving around on the floor. Also, know thy center of gravity, and expect to shift your weight around a lot. We did this warm-up exercise where you lay on the floor and make and "X" with your body, then put one left arm to the right side of you body and let it pull you over, repeat on the right. Stuff like that. Good luck!
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 09, 2009 06:06 PM
Modern has a lot of core work. If you know which technique you're taking, we can probably help you more. But there's a lot of contraction, a lot of off-balance balances (weird to say), and in general a lot of control needed because you're going to have to let your body all the way into the movement one moment and then pull it all back the next.
Music_is_love13 wrote:

We did this warm-up exercise where you lay on the floor and make and "X" with your body, then put one left arm to the right side of you body and let it pull you over, repeat on the right. Stuff like that. Good luck!

Aaaaaasdfoij! That's my favorite part of our class's warm up! It's so cool that you do it too :D

ReplySendWatch