Poll: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
How many Recitals does your studio have? and is everybody in each?
By dadcdancer Comments: 123, member since Mon Mar 31, 2008
On Mon May 25, 2009 12:02 PM

My studio has 2 recitals with all the numbers in each recital what does your studio do?

64 Replies to How many Recitals does your studio have? and is everybody in each?

re: How many Recitals does your studio have? and is everybody in each?
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Mon May 25, 2009 01:19 PM
Just one in the spring. Each class preforms one dance (so if you take ballet and jazz, you're in two. If you're older and in pointe, you have both a pointe number and a flat number)
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Thu May 28, 2009 03:25 PM
We have 2 recitals for the competition team. (one in march, one in august) Then we have a recital that is mostly rec kids, that includes a few competition dances. So 3, with different dances in each one.
By punkgirl59 Comments: 4805, member since Wed Feb 13, 2002
On Fri May 29, 2009 05:14 AM
We have two recitals, one around Christmas time and an end of the year one in June. We mostly have separate dances in each. All of our team and class dances are different in each, but if there's a solo or some special routine that we like from the Christmas show we'll put it in the June show too.

We also have various little performances throughout the year that only certain classes/teams attend and dance at, plus competitions.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By Dancingkate_x Comments: 630, member since Fri Mar 07, 2008
On Fri May 29, 2009 07:04 AM
Every 3 years we do 3 shows that are exactly the same - 2 evening + 1 matinee performances.

We do RAD + ISTD exams for 2 years then a year doing show work.

x
By danceaholic_xoxo Comments: 501, member since Tue Dec 23, 2008
On Fri May 29, 2009 08:31 PM
We have two recitals, back to back days in the summer time.
the mini, combo, and beginner classes are spread out among the saturday and sunday show, and the intermediate and advanced students always are in both.
By HeyRedPremium member Comments: 1567, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Fri May 29, 2009 08:58 PM
We have one annual recital in the late spring/early summer. At least one routine from every class is in it. We usually end up with over 100 routines over the year, and that's just too much to put in. So everyone who has a solo has to pick one or two of them, duos and trios only have two of their routines... groups usually have all of theirs. But if there's too many still, sometimes random things will be cut. Dances are never repeated from year to year, either. I think in the next few years, solos will be cut down to one.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Fri May 29, 2009 09:17 PM
I've been through two studios:

My first studio was very small and would have a Saturday and a Sunday recital, with the same lineup in each one.

My second studio was very bid and would have a Saturday night recital, and a Sunday recital. All of the dances above a certain level would be in both, and the lower classes would only be in one or the other.
By LittleOdette Comments: 282, member since Sat Apr 04, 2009
On Sat May 30, 2009 08:17 AM
I do loads at my studio because I take a load of other classes on top of my company ballet classes. We're really lucky because we have a 100-seat theatre 'in-house' which does get a surprising amount of bookings from pro companies, but you can also book it for a sharing and 'run' your own show for one class or something :)

From September 08 til July 09 I'll have done/will be doing:

Late October/Early November - showcase at my studio's theatre of classical variations and some original choreography by the senior ballet company students.

Early December - two show tour to another city (last year was our first and it was AMAZING :D) with a different show each night. The plan is to do Nutcracker and then the show we did in the summer, so it was Beauty in 2008.

Mid December - Three nights and a matinee of Nutcracker at the town theatre.

Easter - Junior company ballet students (Under 12s) do their own ballet in our studio's theatre, not full-scale like Nutcracker and the summer ballet but it's great fun for them - it was Coppelia this year :) Obviously I'm too old to dance in it :P But I helped with the admin side of things for the entire production period, (I've known my ballet teacher who's company director a LONG time and she trusts me with a lot :) ) also assisted with rehearsals and was the runner for the first night, but for the last two shows I was 'promoted' to stage manager :O More terrifying than dancing, honestly ;)

Late May/Early June - Youth Show in the studio theatre, I hardly ever do ballet in this show so it's a bit of a break I guess :P But it's next week! My dance with the contemporary class I've been in since I was three (there's a little group of us who've been in it together for ten years or so, I met my partner there etc etc... I love them all to pieces) is one of the hardest things I've ever done, it's so physically draining :|

July - Huge ginormous end-of-year gala at the town theatre with pieces from pretty much everyone. This year we (senior company students) finally get a slot in this show, we're doing the grand pas from Paquita because it's a safe crowd pleaser, lovely tutus and a blast to dance as well :D (well, I enjoy it anyhow).

July, after ^^ - The ballet! Swan Lake this year, can't wait :D This is also at the town theatre, we've booked it out for like a week because we need ages to get the crazy scenery up for the ballet..

That's it, pretty much, though there are more informal sharings dotted about and occasionally some groups I'm in are asked to guest in different shows... it's a lot, I know. But it keeps me sane :D
By DizzyLizzie Comments: 458, member since Sun Nov 18, 2007
On Sat May 30, 2009 06:34 PM
We have 2 shows in 1 day. Actually its next Sunday. The competitive group routines are in both, and the recreational routines are split into the shows. So I dance about 15-20 times and have to get my little kids that I teach ready while I am at it.
By svadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 278, member since Mon Sep 08, 2008
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:37 AM
We have a recital every other year and this year happens to be a recital year. On the years that we don't have recital our competition team goes to a big competition. We have 4 performances and its kind of like 2 different shows because on two of the nights its all the same dance styles but different ages, its all the same songs and everything too so on the first night I have only Ballet and Jazz and on the second night I have Ballet, Jazz, Acrobatics and Hip hop, on the 2 days that I don't have hip hop the younger kids are doing a different dance to the same song..I'm not completely sure why, I think its because we have a lot of people and the show would be super long if everyone was in it every night. At a certain level and up though you have to do the recital every night, which is what I have to do.
By dance27 Comments: 224, member since Sun Sep 10, 2006
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 01:25 AM
My old studio (I've graduated) has 8 recitals in the spring, over one weekend (4 a day). The upper level classes perform in all shows (some dances in each plus opener and finale) and the night shows are only for upper levels, with the 5 levels of modern, ballet, tap and jazz as well as extra and advanced classes such as pointe, advanced jazz classes etc. The morning and afternoon shows also include the younger classes; the youngest ones perform in one show and the middle-age classes perform in two to three, depending upon how many classes they take. We also have a winter show (just two performances).

Having 8 shows in a weekend was definitely crazy (especially night shows when each of us was onstage for at least 6, usually more numbers!) but lots of fun and a great way to spend a weekend.
By hope23 Comments: 369, member since Sun Dec 28, 2008
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 PM
My studio has two recitals, one is the little kids' recital, and the other is the older kids.
By BgirlDoesBallet Comments: 598, member since Sun May 31, 2009
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:32 PM
My studio has two recitals- one in December and one in June. All the classes do one routine for each show but the routine you do for one class in December is not the same routine you do for that class in June.
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 04:31 PM
We have on recital. Usually in March or April and all the dancers are in it.
We have two portions to the show. The first half is usually the first and second year students showing off what they've learned and then the second half usually follows some sort of storyline.
By somedancer125 Comments: 158, member since Sat Nov 03, 2007
On Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 AM
We have three recitals, there are a few of the same dances in all three recitals. But, for the most part there are different dance numbers in each. There are two evening shows and one matinee, not everyone performs in each show.
By hennabutterfly Comments: 143, member since Tue Jun 10, 2008
On Wed Jun 03, 2009 05:05 PM
We have four showings of the recital (Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday matinee, Saturday night). Each class has one dance, with some extra competition dances and senior solos added in. The little kids perform at only one show each, but a lot of the older dancers perform more than once; some dance two shows, and the highest levels and competition production numbers dance at all four.
By lildancer247 Comments: 481, member since Mon Jul 21, 2008
On Thu Jun 11, 2009 04:25 PM
We have 2 recitals. All of the advanced classes (the ones I'm in) are in both however the little kids are only in 1 recital.
By followthesmile Comments: 69, member since Sat Sep 06, 2008
On Sun Jun 21, 2009 02:40 PM
We have three dance recitals and the little kids only go to one of them. All the little kid dances go only once. Then, the older girls get mixed up and they may go twice for one dance and once for another. It all depends on how it is set up. I went twice for one dance because they choose the dances that they think people will want to see a lot. Our dance go picked for that and if you get picked it's called an Encore. So yeah it all depends.
By sky_dancer_2010member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 190, member since Sat Nov 10, 2007
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:32 AM
I didn't vote...because our recital deal is different than most...

We do a show in the spring, which all the classes dance, everyone preforms, all the company numbers, and teachers assistants do solos.

In December, about 10-15 days before Christmas, my studio holds a benifit dinner called, "Dance for cure, life, and hope." This is to help families in the area that are battling cancer, this year, 100% of the profits went to two families at my studio, one of which has passed :( who was a mommy to two of the little girls, and the other is a brother who's 6, and is still battling for his life. Each level of company, pre-company (3-5), Petite company (6-8), Elementary Company (9-12), Junior company (Middle School), Senior B (9th and 10th graders) and Senior A (11th and 12th graders) all preform a single dance, no solos are preformed, and the younger kids to christmas songs, the junior's usually do a fun song and the seniors do lyricals. This year we used Jingle Bell Rock, All I want for Christmas Is You, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Every Moment, and I Run for Life.

So I didn't vote, because my option wasn't up there..haha
By Silent_Dancer13 Comments: 340, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:04 AM
We do 2 school shows a year, one at Christmas and one at Easter. On the show day we normally do one in the morning with one group of students and then repeat it in the afternoon with a second group, but doing the same pieces. We also do some external shows in the summer :)
By simplefusion Comments: 27, member since Thu Jul 31, 2008
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 08:49 AM
Edited by simplefusion (199880) on 2009-07-20 08:52:08
Our concert/recital is only once in two years. :( Also, most people are only in one or two items, so if we do something wrong, that's it. Although the scarcity of each concert makes them all the more special. :)
By Barbara74 Comments: 4, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 09:50 PM
Edited by Barbara74 (206201) on 2009-07-20 21:51:29
Our studio has 2 end of the season recitals in one day. Our competition teams perform in both shows, and we split all the other classes into the two different shows. We split up the solos and have even amounts of solos in each show. Each show is about the same time wise.
By T_Dance_Girl Comments: 218, member since Tue Jun 30, 2009
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 09:56 PM
We have 2 at the end of the year at the end of may, with some of the same and some different dances in each. We are also going to start having Christmas recitals too.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1174, member since Thu Mar 05, 2009
On Thu Jul 23, 2009 05:46 PM
Our end of the year recital is 4 shows. Most of the dances are in all shows, but some are only in certain shows!! =]
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch