Poll: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: How many Recitals does your studio have? and is everybody in each?
By sky_dancer_2010member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 190, member since Sat Nov 10, 2007
On Tue Jul 28, 2009 05:00 PM
The second little boy died last week... =[ if anyone was wondering.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1174, member since Thu Mar 05, 2009
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 04:29 PM
Awwww I'm sorry to hear that.

I also forgot to put that at xmas we do The Nutcracker!! =]
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:12 PM
We do about 5 recitals over the space of a weekend. All the majors (Intermediate Foundation up) are in all of them. My studio has several sites which all have juniors, so those juniors take turns doing the recitals (eg the grade 1s from one studio does one show, then grade 1 from another studio will do the next one)
By dancegiirl Comments: 22, member since Wed Oct 28, 2009
On Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 PM
The first studio i was at did 2 shows with the older girls and one matanee show for the tots and juniors.The second studio i went to did 3 shows as well but all dancers performed different routines in each show. Groups all performed twice, tots and soloists performed one.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jan 19, 2010 01:03 PM
I'm sort of amazed at the way they do our recital. One recital, one time. Plus a 20 minute ballet production. Every class does a minimum of two dances (I suppose a really industrious class could do more then two). Last year it worked out to 85 numbers, or something.

She does the best she can with dividing up numbers - like, my sons classes numbers were both in the first half, so that at the intermission, we could take the little kids home. And the 4-6 year olds numbers were all in the second half, so they didn't really have to be there until intermission. We got there at 1, left a little before four, and the show was only half over. :O A days worth of entertainment, indeed!
By BgirlDoesBallet Comments: 598, member since Sun May 31, 2009
On Tue Jan 19, 2010 01:57 PM
I've switched studios since I last posted in this thread so here's my new answer. In December we do three shows, same dances in each one (although I believe the lead roles are played by a different dancer each show). In May, we also do three shows but the dances are different. The first show has all the little kids and combo classes. The next show has all the level I and II classes and the last show has all the level III, IV, and V classes. It's not quite that simple as there are exceptions (ex. all ballet classes perform in both the second and third show, regardless of level), but that's the basic set up.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 PM
I used to dance at a studio where the company, and the adults danced at every show, and then the numbers just got split after that. One show was the company, the adults, and all the Monday and Tuesday classes, the second show was the company, the adults, and all the classes that were on Wendesday and Thursday. We were closed Friday. :D
By nystateofmind Comments: 49, member since Sat Dec 26, 2009
On Thu Jan 21, 2010 04:11 PM
Edited by nystateofmind (218860) on 2010-01-21 16:11:53
My studio technically has 1 recital, but it's spread out over 2 days in June.

We always have dress rehearsals on the Wednesday and Thursday before the recital. Friday is the evening performance and Saturday has an afternoon and an evening performance.

Some dances are done in more than one show, and some are not.
By TinyDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 772, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:12 PM
My studio has just one recital at the end of the year and everyone dances in it. We alternate between a 'big concert' and a 'little concert'. Basically the big concert involves a first half, in which all classes perform one dance. Last year I was in 6 dances in the first half. Then, the second half is a big performance. Last year we did the Nutcracker and all classes except for the really little kids (5 and below) are involved. Our little concert involves every class doing one item each, plus occasionally solos are put in if someone doesnt have enough time to change.
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2706, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:09 AM
We have one recital at the end of the year. Most classes just do one number- the advanced ballet does multiple numbers, plus solos. There's also an audition-only ballet piece that comes between the main ballet and the second half of the show, which is all the non ballet dances.

My studio is doing Alice in Wonderland this year - advanced ballet is Teardrops and Cards, my pointe class is doing a Rose pas de deux, and I'm the March Hare. I'm also in the audition-only piece, a lyrical number, and a dance to Thriller.
By DanceIsLoveXO Comments: 21, member since Sat Dec 12, 2009
On Thu Feb 25, 2010 02:46 AM
There are 3 shows a year - January, March, and May. The March show is for the members of the dance company and the May and January show showcases 3-4 pieces featuring returning members of the previous years dance company and the rest of the dances feature students who take classes. I wish there were more ! (even though I'min all 3)
By LizzieDancer Comments: 19, member since Mon Mar 01, 2010
On Thu Mar 11, 2010 09:28 AM
We have four shows over two days, saturday afternoon and evening and sunday afternoon and evening, on the last weekend in November. All the dances are in all the shows and everyone is in at least one dance for each class they take, but once you get to grade 4/5 you have two dances for each class.
By Dancer4Lif345 Comments: 5, member since Sun Jun 13, 2010
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 03:38 PM
My studio has 2 recitals, both on the same day. For the most part the dances are the same just different dancers except some of the little girl dances are different. The older girls dance in both recitals and solos are only in one recital.
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 04:46 PM
December: Company show (like the awesome show of the year) on New Year's eve
And Jr. Company performs at a local New Years Eve celebration

March: The Spring Show, which is only company and jr. company, plus guest sometimes. It usually has guest choreographers as well.

June: Real recital, which is two days. Level 4/4A does ballet on one day and modern on one day. Level 5 does ballet on both days and modern on one day. 6/Adv does ballet and modern on both days. All the younger levels just do one day of ballet.
By pondflyPremium member Comments: 1099, member since Thu Dec 24, 2009
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 09:50 PM
At least two a year for all classes where you can be in on or several performances. And then there is a separate company where you also can participate in. This also cooperates with other companies around the area.
Usually there are three performances for each recital, not including Nutcracker. There are a couple of back up plans in place if there are problems.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 PM
My studio has one recital, but we have various performance opportunities throughout the year. I take belly dance, so I perform at Haflas. At the recital, I danced twice, once in a solo and in the dance with my class. :) People also hire us or ask us to come dance at community functions, parties, etc.
By k_naasty Comments: 26, member since Sun Jun 06, 2010
On Thu Jun 17, 2010 05:59 PM
Our studio has about 5 recitals in June.
There's two on one day and three on the other day.
Usually the younger kids are in the earlier show on both days and the older kids are in the later shows.
And our Performing Arts Companies perform in every show so that, everyone doesn't get bored with little kid dances lol :)
By nuttinhoney Comments: 21, member since Mon May 17, 2010
On Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:12 PM
We have one show, towards christmas. But it's a big show! And each class performs a dance. However, if you're in more than one class then you perform in the other classes too. Same goes for styles.
By mcdancer13 Comments: 4, member since Sat Oct 16, 2010
On Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:06 AM
We have 1 recital a year in June. Each class does 3 dances (tap, jazz, and ballet) and then there are some special dances for the seniors and upper class students. There are also some local performances that are done in April.

~Peace*Love*DANCE~
By tempsleve Comments: 505, member since Wed Jun 09, 2010
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 05:50 PM
Each year, we have one recital, and we perform all dances. Basically, each grade of each type of dance (jazz, tap, ballet, hiphop) learns a new dance each year. BUT, we also use dances from old years. So on average, each grade performs 2 dances.
However, we have 'troupe'. If you are in 'troupe', then you learn more dances, about 3 more, on top of your normal graded dances. Hope that makes sense!
By dancer_est99 Comments: 70, member since Sat Jun 13, 2009
On Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 PM
We have our spring recital, which everyone performs in, and our holiday showcase, which only 10 year olds and up perform in.
By MissAlice Comments: 229, member since Mon Jul 05, 2010
On Mon Jul 04, 2011 09:53 PM
4 shows, 2 are ages 9 and up, 2 are age 8 and under. Comp team is split up similarly, 11 and under in the JR show, 12+ in the SR show.
By lovedanse Comments: 51, member since Thu Jun 09, 2011
On Sun Jul 10, 2011 07:08 PM
My studio has two separate locations. The first location has one recital and the second has two. For the second location, some of the dances are in both shows and some are only in one.
By Ballerinacaz Comments: 435, member since Sun Jan 18, 2009
On Sat Jul 16, 2011 03:05 PM
At my studio there are 7 shows over 3 days. The 3 evenings (fri, sat, sun) are the seniors and all the same dances, the four day time (morning and afternoon sat and sun) are the little ones with the same dances but performed by different kids, so each of the little ones is only in one (or if slightly older, 2) of the shows
By DancerKeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 42, member since Fri Oct 14, 2011
On Sat Oct 15, 2011 07:18 PM
Our studio has 3 locations so we have 2 days of the end of the year recital. Each class has one dance. And also we have a holiday recital that I'm not in.. I'm pretty sure its for younger kids. (I'm still new to the studio .. I don't even know where the bathroom is xD)
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch