Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

wig problems!
By mille_dance
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 AM

When i wear a full wig it akes and gives me head aches does this happen to everyone or am i the only one?
mille_Dance
...x
:)

16 Replies to wig problems!

re: wig problems!
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:21 AM
Nope, I think it happens to most people! :) No worries; it also makes me head really itchy! It's just the weight of the wig, combined with how we pull our hair back into ponytails and shove the combs in....and then wear it for hours on end! The things we do for Irish dance eh?
By FeisQueenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 02:25 PM
It's happened to me before too!

If you have a wig with an adjustable cap, is it possible that it's too tight? I agree that a lot of times, the pain comes from how I tie my hair up underneath my wig. I always keep it a little looser and try not to use too many bobby pins.
By nwirishdancemomPremium member
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 04:20 PM
Wigs vary in weight. My daughter wore a Celtic Creations Erin for teams and she would complain that it was heavy and would get a headache. We tried the Maeve Sr for solos and she says it is so lightweight she does feel like she is wearing anything on her head.

If the headaches get too annoying you might try a different brand of wig.
By FromIreland
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 04:56 PM
It's usually due to the bobby pins. Try to use less or place them more carefully so as they don't stick into your scalp!
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 08:44 PM
Oh yes.

I find that the problem is that I have to tie my hair up tightly, and when I do this, I always get a headache. When I put rollers in to curl, it was the same. Even if I tie sections of my hair up tightly while I'm dying my hair, if I leave it like that for a while I'll get a headache.

If it weren't for the fact that wearing a wig meant I was going to go and dance, I'd probably have had an alcoholic beverage, LOL! (I've been known to do this when I have rollers in my hair!) :P
By mille_dance
On Tue Jun 02, 2009 01:28 PM
Do you think this style of wig would be much lighter and easier to dance in??
:)
By ReelJiggered
On Tue Jun 02, 2009 01:42 PM
I dance in a bun wig and I love it! I'm never too hot in it and it never hurts. I recommend it if it looks good on you (doesn't fit all faces, unfortunately).

K
By IDer_x
On Tue Jun 02, 2009 02:59 PM
My younger sister wore the bun for years as she was super tiny and had a small head, we just couldnt get the thought of putting a huge one on her. it looked really nice and elegant, even though she was about..let's say 9 or 10 at the time. ive seen older girls who wear it also and if done right (no fly away hairs or messy pins hanging out all over) it looks really good. but i suggest if you have carriage issues i reccomned not wearing a bun wig as it is more noticeable. and back to the point about headaches, as soon as we put my sister into a full head wig, she complained. no matter what wig we buy its always giving her headaches. i suggest try the bun and see what happens ! good luck :)
By AinetheDragonPremium member
On Tue Jun 02, 2009 03:19 PM
I really like the bun wig... its much less heavy, and it tends to not have as much pulling/poking going on so it might help with headaches. Also because its only on the top of your head, its not as hot and itchy either.

The Tessa from Youngblood is nice, or Camelia Rose has one that is bigger, with more, smaller curls that I also like (my current one).

Definately try one on and see if it suits you.
By Celtic_Rosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:58 PM
^ I agree, bun wigs are WAY more comfortable, unless you're like me and your hair doesn't fit inside the cover!

I also have the Maeve Sr., and it's really light, and so it doesn't hurt my head--what does is the bobby pins! If you can, try using less, or not putting them in so tightly.
By reeldancerstep
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 08:56 AM
the bun wigs are on sale at irish dancer in limited colors for only 12.50...makes a lot of sense for these outdoor potentially roasting feisianna
By CelticAngel
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 07:46 PM
I've always had terrible troubles with wig headaches!

I had, until recently, always pulled the front section of my hair straight back into a pigtail on the top of my head (without leaving out a fringe/bangsor doing a pouf etc). My head would ache almost instantaneously from the positioning of the upper ponytail.

Recently I trialled leaving a strip of hair out (about an inch) infront of this top ponytail and pinned it to the sides. This did wonders for my wig headache! I think, for me, it has something to do with the angle at which the hair is pulled back, and how much hair is being pulled in the opposite direction to it's natural way of sitting.

Long story short, trial different ways of pulling your hair up underneath your wig, as this is generally where you'll be getting the pain from (not so much the wig itself!)

Good luck,
CelticAngel oxo
By rosalinde
On Sun Jul 19, 2009 07:22 AM
Last month I had a feis during the day and a show with Highland at night (in Highland dancers have to wear their hair "up and immobile"). I decided to have the hairdresser put my hair in two French braids. The combs of my wig I just hooked into the braids and because the weight of the wig was now distributed equally along the braids, I didn't get a headache! I loved it!
By jiggymommamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 19, 2009 05:49 PM
My daughter always gets headaches with her wigs and does not want to wear a bun wig, although I have definitely suggested it. We always give her a couple of ibuprofen before putting on her wig (have tried almost every wig on the market) and this seems to help.
By aby
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 02:34 AM
Happens to most dancers, your wig may be too heavy for you if its possible buy one thats a bit lighter. Could be the way you put it on. have you tried a donut they are brilliant as your wig is slightly lifted of your head and instead of your hair holding the wig the donut does it for you.
Hope that helps Aby
By emmiei
On Sun Aug 09, 2009 02:29 PM
It happens to me ALL THE TIME. I don't know if you wear a doughnut, but I have to wear 2, and that makes it way worse. If it hurts SUPER bad to the point where you want to cry, get a wig with a bigger cap.

ReplySendWatch