Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Tryouts!!
By BHS_DANCER
On Wed Jun 03, 2009 07:20 PM

Im going to be in pep squa this year but dance team tryouts are at the end of the year. Can anyone tell me what they do or look for in tryouts??

Thank you thank you thank you so much!!

2 Replies to Tryouts!!

re: Tryouts!!
By lyricalrose
On Fri Jun 05, 2009 04:26 PM
Hi! I am Caroline Rose and I have been dancing for a while. I am on my school's dance team, along with a competition dance team so I hope I will be able to help you out. :)

They will definitely look at your turns. What I was told by the high school drill team director (I'm in middle school) is that if one year they only have like three girls with really solid doubles and about 10 with really solid singles, they'll take all those girls, but if there's like 9 girls with really solid doubles and only 4 girls with really solid singles they'll only take the girls with doubles. Make sense? :) They'll probably look at fouettes too, so work on those.

They'll definitely look at leaps - russians and just normal leaps definitely, but be prepared for calypsos and c jumps too just in case. They want to see you have straight lines, pointed feet and high kicks - flexibility will be a big part I would assume. But what they really want to see is potential - a lot of girls who are not fantastic but have tons of potential will make it and improve.

I would reccomend enrolling in a jazz and ballet class - jazz because it's the main style of high school dance teams and ballet because it is the root of all dance. Hope I helped! :)
re: Tryouts!!
By andr3a
On Fri Jun 05, 2009 05:01 PM
You should ask someone on the team or one of the coaches what it is that they are looking for. Each school is different.

ReplySendWatch