Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

scared to death of axel turns
By sickntwist3d
On Sat Jun 06, 2009 06:19 AM

I have been working on improving my technique in various leaps, turns and such for my dance class at school. It will be a requirement for each of us to have our axel turns down for the coming year.

I understand the basic concept of it, and when I have done it in the presence of my teacher, she hasn't corrected my technique. However, everytime I go for the axel turn, I feel that I am risking my life lol. While I am in the air, I feel out of control and that I will not land the turn.

I haven't fallen so far, but the fear and the feeling of being out of control is inhibiting my ability to be confident and better my turns.

I would appreciate any tips and help.

7 Replies to scared to death of axel turns

re: scared to death of axel turns
By dancebugkt
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 01:58 PM
You could try landing with bent knees. And remember- trust yourself!! If you have the right technique, don't worry about falling. You'll be fine!
By Dancer_88rose
On Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 AM
I know that if you practice the turn slowly then that will help. for instance start out with the
chane' turn (count slowly 1,2)
plie in the chane' turn (3,4)
jump facing forward in the axle rather that turning. You will notice that your knees are bent as the previous person posted.
You can then move on to turning slowly in the counts.

The axle is similar to just jumping in a circle. You could practice the axel jump alone repeatedly similar to a kid hopping around in a circle on one foot, but with technique.

Remember to spot (this might be your problem), squeeze everything and keep your torso aligned pulled up.

If your are confused just reply back.
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Thu Jun 11, 2009 09:30 AM
When I was first learning axel turns, I hated them, but then my teacher introduced me to attitude axel turns, where instead of bringing your second leg to passe, you bring it to attitude and finish the turn.
It sounds more complicated, but it's really easy, and it's less scary, in my opinion.
By sickntwist3d
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:26 PM
Ah yes thank you. All of your suggestions helped. I realized I wasn't spotting, I actually closed my eyes alot of the time. But now my turns are better. Thank you again.
By zebraobsession
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:20 PM
hmm honestly my biggest tip for you is to not be afraid of falling. just go for it as big as you can. I'm always falling but I don't care because it's funny and how much better I do when I go for it as opposed to just timidly half trying is astronomical. I used to be terrifed of center leaps, then one day I just said you know what whatever I'm just gonna go for it I"ll get over it if I fall, and now my center leaps are awesome, something I never though would happen!
By sickntwist3d
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 02:01 PM
Thank you all very much for your help. My axels are alot better now and I'm not scared to do them anymore.
By danceprincess42
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:30 PM
i'm happy they got better. to keepm them as good as they are now just keep p-racticing each day trust in yourself and dont forget to spot

ReplySendWatch