Forum: Arts / Religion

Finding Readings for a Catholic wedding
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 06, 2009 05:19 PM

We are in the midst of trying to find readings for our wedding, HOWEVER... I'm having a heck of a time finding an old testament reading that meets my personal criteria (I'm not a religious person at all, so I'm trying to keep things as minimally religious as possible, nothing sexist... and nothing long, yet also keeping things meaningful)

catholicweddinghelp.com . . .
been through all of these, and don't like any of them.

catholicweddinghelp.com . . . My pick for second reading, it's overdone, but meets my criteria.

catholicweddinghelp.com . . . For the gospel.

So it's really just the old testament reading that I'm stuck on.

Anyone have any ideas for anything that isn't overdone... but would be something that would suit our needs?

3 Replies to Finding Readings for a Catholic wedding

re: Finding Readings for a Catholic wedding
By moara
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 01:26 PM
I've of heard Ruth 1:16-17 being done very meaningfully.
By TheSlasher
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 02:49 PM
I haven't been to a lot of weddings, so I don't know if this is overdone at all, but the first thing that popped into my head was Song of Solomon 8.

"Place me like a seal over your heart,like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away.If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned."
Song of Songs 8:6-7
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 09:54 PM
The 1st Corinthians passage, I believe has been read at just about every Catholic wedding I ever photographed and a good share of the Protestant ones as well.

There is actually an error in the versification of the passage. Most people begin reading it at the start of the 13th chapter, but actually the last verse of the previous chapter (12:31) really belong to the reading. Paul, of course, did not write in chapters and verses, the versification as we know it didn't come along until the 13th century when an Archbishop of Canterbury devised the system which is largely standardized today. There were earlier versing schemes and later refinements. Much of the time these Medieval scholars got it right, but here they got it wrong.

Jon

ReplySendWatch