Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates or Yoga? Or a combination?
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Jun 06, 2009 08:58 PM

Hiya!
I need help strengthening my core, toning my stomach, heightening my jumps, and increasing my flexibility. I have hip, knee, and foot problems, so I'm hoping that increasing strength in these areas will help me. I've been doing a bit of pilates in PT, but it isn't helping me as much as I'd like it to. I have access to a ring, a ball, bosus, and mats. So, do you think I need yoga, pilates, or a combination of the two? And could you also give me some exercises I can do? Thank you all so much for your help in advance.
Boleyngrrl

7 Replies to Pilates or Yoga? Or a combination?

re: Pilates or Yoga? Or a combination?
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 04:52 PM
I think you should start by addressing your foot problems. That is the foundation and could very well be the cause and effect of your other problems.

What exactly is going on? What are you doing in PT and how often are you going? Are you still dancing full out and how many hours/week?
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 07:25 PM
I have been addressing my foot problems for over a year and a half now. I have an extra bone in my foot (accessory nevicular, located below the ankle bone). The main muscle in my leg (I don't know the name) in connected to this little bone instead of my meditarsal, and when I sprained my ankle in Oct. '07 it was pulled out of alignment and the fun started. My arch in that foot fell, I had constant pain, and I was in The Boot for 4 months. Yes, I do think it is the cause of my other problems, or rather, the way I was dancing to accomodate the pain was the cause of my other problems. I am going to PT 1-2x a week, and I haven't danced full out since I first screwed up my foot. I go to dance once a week for 1.5 hours, but I practice at home when I get the chance. I'd say I'm dancing at about 75-80% right now, and if I go over that I hurt like heck. I'm trying to strengthen my core and loosen my muscles (they were really tight, still are, really), because if I do this my doctor, parents, dance teacher, and I hope that it will at least put me on a sturdier road to recovery. Thank you for your help in advance.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 07:35 PM
One of my students has the extra bone in BOTH of her ankles, but only one of her feet is giving her problems. Because she compensated for it the last 2 years she now has a screwed up knee and pelvis. Unfortunately the only fix for that is surgery. Have they spoken to you about that possibility??

What kind of core exercises are you doing currently?
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 07:45 PM
Yes, they have spoken to me about surgery, but I am really not wanting to do that. I am in a very similar situation to the patient you are talking about, except its the growth plate in my hip that is screwed up, not my pelvis thankfully. I am doing a bit of pilates, but it isn't doing that much good from what I can tell. I mean, I'm stronger, but I had no core at all before, so... Yeah. I'm doing exercises with the ring, lifting it up with my legs, one with both on the outside and one with both on the inside, laying on my side with my legs at a 30 degree angle to my torso. I'm also laying on my back with my abs "engaged" (its what my PT calls it), and sort of running (high knees) on air on the table. Like, I lift my foot and then extend it, keeping the other one up. I also do side crunches on the bosu, frogs (sort of like breaststroke upside down on land), and jumps from bosu to bosu (I haven't done those since I screwed up my hip, though).
By danseurnoble
On Mon Jun 08, 2009 06:02 AM
Do both! I've taken a class called Yogalates and it's really good! You get to relax, stretch and workout at the same time :)
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 08, 2009 01:41 PM
Given your injuries, you need to be very careful about the movements and stretches you do.

It would be best if you could work closely with an instructor who can ensure you are keeping proper form and engaging the right muscles during the exercises. As you know from your injuries it's very easy to compensate in the body and not even realize it.

I would recommend a restorative style yoga class which can help with some of the muscle tightness without putting strain on your knees and hips.

As far as the surgery goes, it is pretty much your only option of properly healing your injuries. There is no other way to change the structure in your foot, which is the base root of the other problems you are having.
By boleyngrrl
On Tue Jun 09, 2009 04:16 PM
Thank you all for your help! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do... I think I'm going to ask a pilates instructer I know to eval me and tell me which or combination. As for surgery, it might be inevitable, but the likelyhood of me going back to dance after it is pretty low. And I'm not ready to retire, no matter how painful staying in the game is.

ReplySendWatch