Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

What annoys you in pilates/yoga class?
By veganwarriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 15, 2009 08:06 PM

Every class there is one person who does at least one of these things. I decided to make this post to let off some steam.

1) Could you please just turn off your cell phone. I always remember to turn my phone off or on silent, or at least vibrate. Many people leave theirs on. The worst part is they don't even shut it off after it rang. They just let it go. Usually the person calling them calls like five times. I'm trying to concentrate on finding my balance and inner peace and their phone isn't helping me.

2) Princesses. That is what me and my mom call the people who have their special "spots" and goodness forbid if someone puts their mat in their "spot". They don't say anything to them, but they huff and puff.

3) Narcassists (sp?). People who have to be two inches from the mirror.

4) Leaving in the middle of class. Some people pack up and leave right in the middle of class! Usually they sit right in the front too. Then they have to disturb everyone when they walk out. If you have to leave, sit near the back and tell the instructor so s/he won't be offended.

5) People for whatever reason decide they don't want to stay for the final relaxation/corpse pose at the end of yoga. It is only about two minutes long! Also other people are trying to calm their minds and it is really distracting to have you pack up.

This is almost kind of an oxymoron, because people who take yoga/pilates are supposed to be all relaxed and what not. I don't take yoga at a yoga studio so maybe that has something to do with it. I take it at a fitness center and boy some people sure have egos/attitudes there! If you have anymore please add.

8 Replies to What annoys you in pilates/yoga class?

re: What annoys you in pilates/yoga class?
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:05 AM
The ones who bug me are the ones who take the instruction, "make noise, explore the depths of your diaphragm" WAY too seriously. No, I really have no desire to hear your sex moans for the ENTIRE hour long class. Thanks but no thanks.
By GrishkoMerrell
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 05:58 AM
Ha, love it!

As a yoga teacher...

1. People who can't seem to take it seriously. Yes, I know that it's not for everyone, but if you've bothered to show up, then bother to try! The giggling? Not helping you, not helping anyone else. The constant whispering isn't helping either.

2. The "but this is the way we do it in at my old studio" people. I don't mean differences in techniques, practices, etc; that's fine (although please, if you're in my class, at least give new concepts a try!). But what bugs the heck out of me is that if everyone else in the class has aligned their mats lengthwise, why do you come in and put yours perpendicular?

3. The helpers. Why why why do you think that you're helping when you give unsolicited advice to the person next to you?! Yes, I'm sure that occasionally you are helpful. But usually, you're not.

4. The superstars. The ones who don't want any adjustments, who push every pose to what they think it should look like but sacrifice form, function, and any possible benefits in the process, who always take the most challenging version even if they can't sustain the simpler one, and who generally treat it as a competitive sport (that they're winning). ARGH!

And, because I feel very naughty and unyogic posting this, I'll finish on a positive note.

My very favorite people to watch aren't the bendy ones or the strong ones, but the ones whom you can practically see concentrating. That inward focus is so beautiful to watch. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

My very favorite thing about teaching yoga is seeing long term gains... whether it's gaining strength or flexibility, or gradually being able to relax, or seeming more comfortable in their own body, or just seeing someone a little more confident... divine.
By lux
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 06:24 AM
The 60 year olds who kick my butt every. single. class.

you're breaking my spirit, guys. Can't you just PRETEND to find it difficult, sometimes?! :(
By dancer2422member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 PM
when my class is somehow overcrowded! We are all paying for it so why do they allow so may to come to yoga! There have been a few times that I barely had room to put my mat and once I only had half my leg in the front mirror! UGGGHHH!
By reel_in_firstmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 23, 2009 01:09 PM
Competition! That totally ruins it! I don't go out of my way to try to keep up with other people, but it still creates a really negative atmosphere when everyone is trying to outdo everyone else!
By iDancer518member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 24, 2009 09:39 AM
I hate the show offs. The ones who walk into class with a cocky smile. They sit right in front the mirror by the teacher so EVERYONE can see them (like we really care).

I mean just because you can get your foot past your head in cobra pose doesn't make you the master of yoga. Get a grip!
By shanreicks
On Wed Sep 23, 2009 06:29 AM
1.) People who don't follow direction-when everyone else is doing a plank and their up front doing some other pose like a warrior series.If you can't do what everyone else is doing then get out and practice on your own.

2.) People who don't take it seriously-previously mentioned.

3.) People who make fun of it

4.) music from the aerobics class next door with a loud mouth teacher drilling her class.
By BabyDancingQueen
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 09:08 AM
The grunter. There's an older guy in one of my classes and he grunts through the poses. Breathe man. Please.

Also, as stated above, the 60 year olds who kick ass. They are awesome though.

I love yoga!

ReplySendWatch